Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you turn over all the assigned needs for all the pets then go down the evaluation list resolving each pet as you go?

for example if I have 3 pets:

a. I turn over all assigned needs and then I check if any have hunger needs. Birdie has 2 hunger assigned and Snakkity has 1 hunger assigned. If I only had 2 food, I would have the choice to starve one or the other right? After I resolve the hunger need cards I check for Poop needs in all my pets and continue down the list. . .

b. I turn over Birdies cards first and resolve her needs independent of Snakkity, Then I turn over Snakkity's cards and resolve her needs.

Which scenario is correct? We were playing with "b" but after closely reading the rules I think we were in error.

thanks

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain it's all simultaneous, but I'm not sure why the order would even matter? Most of the needs you either automatically satisfy (e.g. Anger/Magic), or you fail to satisfy and suffer a penalty. The ones where you have a choice (e.g. feed or suffer), the order in which you make the choices doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poop needs to be evaluated before disease (so you could calculate if you get suffering or not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Oei
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken a look at the rulebook as well...

It does say in page 12 (Evaluating Needs) that "Symbols should be evaluated in the order shown. In some cases, order matters."

The order probably matters if your pet mutates a second time then you don't have to bother evaluating any subsequent needs. But to answer Blustar's question, I couldn't find a direct reference in the rulebook saying that implies the needs of all pets need to be evaluated simultaneously, perhaps you could point out the specific section that indicates so.

Based on the above quotation and the examples also given on page 12, I think you're given free reign to resolve Petz' needs to derive the best outcome for yourself, (i.e. resolve 2 needs of Pet A, then jump over to Pet B, come back to Pet A) so long as you obey the rule that you must resolve the needs in order from the 1st need to the last need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hayen wrote:
I've taken a look at the rulebook as well...

It does say in page 12 (Evaluating Needs) that "Symbols should be evaluated in the order shown. In some cases, order matters."

The order probably matters if your pet mutates a second time then you don't have to bother evaluating any subsequent needs. But to answer Blustar's question, I couldn't find a direct reference in the rulebook saying that implies the needs of all pets need to be evaluated simultaneously, perhaps you could point out the specific section that indicates so.

Based on the above quotation and the examples also given on page 12, I think you're given free reign to resolve Petz' needs to derive the best outcome for yourself, (i.e. resolve 2 needs of Pet A, then jump over to Pet B, come back to Pet A) so long as you obey the rule that you must resolve the needs in order from the 1st need to the last need.

Well on page 12 in the first paragraph under "Evaluating Needs" section, it states, " When it is your turn to show off, reveal all the needs you assigned to your pets", ( my emphasis) then in the same paragraph " . . . Symbols should be evaluated in the order shown".

After reading this I can't see any other interpretation other than turning all of your pets needs simultaneously and resolving each condition on all of your pets in descending order. Is this the right way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie Knight
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you reveal all the needs that you assigned to your pets and then in the order your player board indicates resolve those needs (i.e. hunger, poo, playtime, etc.). It should not matter if you do it individually or take it one need at a time. That should come out the same. What you will be faced with is deciding who gets what. Especially when it comes to shortages. Like food for example and deciding who gets the suffering token, while the other gets a steak. As long you as you are resolving each need card in the proper order that is what counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's irrelevent how you do it, but easiest if you do one pet at a time. If your concern is about who gets the food, you never have to feed a pet, but you'll get suffering tokens if you don't.

The only thing that matters is the order of the needs, and that only for Poop needs before Disease needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
It's irrelevent how you do it, but easiest if you do one pet at a time. …

I find it to be just the opposite—evaluating each need for each pet simultaneously is a heck of lot easier (and faster) than each need for 1 pet, each need for pet #2, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.