joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like using my hands. I talk less when Im crafting, so i say less foolish things. But, i type alot and I make up for not saying foolish things. I type them.

I wanted to tell you that Ive posted in my profile gallery () some of my early sculpts from four years ago. I had planned to uses these ships as models for starmada games. They are quite small. I used an old digital camera. The color of super sculpey doesnt photograph well. But it does bake to ceramic hardness. You can drill it.

I think sculpey firm is my new favorite media. It comes in grey so that it photo graphs better and it holds sharp edges better.

I purchased aluminite silicon mold maker. I used to much, throwing 32 dollars out the window. I think im going to stick with casting putty for a while. ITs cheaper. IT solidifies too quickly. DONT even bother with the paint on latex. It could take you a week to complete your mold. Im not sure what its good for, but stay away from it.

I bought 2 types of casting resin at Michaels and Hobby lobby. I havent used the Amazing resin yet, but it hardens faster. Easy casting resin takes over 24 hours to harden. Dont use transparent dies. USe the opaque ones, other wise you ships look like sucking candies. Make sure you use gloves and mask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun sculpts!
If you buy the little blocks of colored sculpy, you can mix it with the firm and/or sculpy3 to get a better color for photos. I recommend a pasta machine to mix it. It will save on your hands and do a better job. you can get one at michaels for 24 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the pasta machine. Its sitting on a box under the table. Since Im sculpting to cast I don't bother using the colors, if that makes sense at all. Super sculpey though it cooks very well, gets too soft when you prepare it. So, I followed the wisdom of others preparing it. What Ive learned to do is make it nice and flat and put paper above and below thin slices of polymer to suck out some of the softener.

I tried FIMO its too hard to prepare.

I tried green stuff, too hard to work into art.

Playdough? not an option.

Im looking for something easier to make molds with. Silicone mold putty will do for now. I like it because the brand I use is food safe, and I can make little chocolate space ships

Any more ideas? please share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
BAHAHAHHAAHAAA! I never thought of that! using my molds to make chocolate...

The reason you mix it with a color is to make the sculpy more opaque. it's kind of see-thru especially after it's baked. So it's hard to see imperfections until after your piece is primed or cast. Subconsciously it might be part of why you prefer the firm. I agree, it's too soft for nonorganic sculpting. It's tough to keep an edge unless you use firm.

We use smooth on for our molds at http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/
If you want to, email Dave from our site, he is the one that does the molding.

chocolate... genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using my fatherly voice: Please be aware that not ALL silicone is food safe.

The purple putty silicon (2 part purple and white), says food safe right on the packaging.

If you happen to make a mold using food safe silicone, dont use it for pressing in sculpey, or wax or resin. It will no longer be food safe.

I can sculpt a food safe spider, car, heart, eye. limitless )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
Using my fatherly voice: Please be aware that not ALL silicone is food safe.
Cool, good advice, thanks.

runescience wrote:
The purple putty silicon (2 part purple and white), says food safe right on the packaging.

runescience wrote:
If you happen to make a mold using food safe silicone, dont use it for pressing in sculpey, or wax or resin. It will no longer be food safe.

runescience wrote:
I can sculpt a food safe spider, car, heart, eye. limitless )
Ahh, icck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Alumilite HS3 from Hobby Lobby. I only buy it when the 40% coupon is in effect and thus get it for about $20.00. I've perfected my miser technique and for a 50mm to 70mm long spaceship miniature I've found I can make a two-part mold using only about 25 to 30 grams of rubber. Of course that requires a mother-mold as well, but that's cheap.

I cast in Dunken Company's Model Metal, which melts at a low temp of 140C. The rubber is intended for resin casting, but at those low temps I've made half a dozen casts in the same mold with no degradation.

Here's an example: http://solipsistgaming.blogspot.com/2011/05/two-part-mold-pt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.