BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A House Divided? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I'm thinking about buying this, but want to be sure I'm getting the right game for me. I'm not a wargamer, but would like to start playing some wargames, but I don't want to go off the deep end.

I found this game through this excellent geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39241/starter-wargames

Not that I'm calling these wargames, but way of background, I have played and enjoy:

Twilight Struggle
Washington's War
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan

I play and enjoy lighter civilization games like Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
and Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game.

I like the civil war period (used to travel to civil war battlegrounds as a hobby).

I think this is a good choice for me, but can someone who has played it comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A good choice.

Playing games about the American Civil War can be addictive. We'll be hearing more from you soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
If you play those titles mentioned, AHD won't pose any difficulty for you. It's not a realistic simulation, more a tactical and fun game of manoeuver set in the Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does a pretty good job, at a high level, of depicting the Civil War.

And it is a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's going up to the top of the list then! Thanks for the feedback. I do research games quite a bit but I still have a number of games I just don't like even after an auction of getting rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't have any problem with A House Divided.
To me it provides the flavor of the bottlenecks caused by the rail and river communications. It is on my recommended list.

As usual with these sorts of threads I'll offer up a couple of alternatives for your consideration:
Blue vs. Gray Quite a bit more random and very unusual. The cards are informative - a real history lesson. Army placement and movement is very abstract you declare which leaders and armies you will commit at movement time. The battle outcomes are very random and can swing wildly.
The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 With a limited map and small number of units, the game is not about grand maneuvers. Movement is deliberate and there are a lot of blocking positions. The game is more about managing cards and leaders, so you can make more effective attacks. The game well captures the attritional nature of the war,

Yes Civil War - wargaming is addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
rajungamer wrote:
You shouldn't have any problem with A House Divided.
To me it provides the flavor of the bottlenecks caused by the rail and river communications. It is on my recommended list.

As usual with these sorts of threads I'll offer up a couple of alternatives for your consideration:
Blue vs. Gray Quite a bit more random and very unusual. The cards are informative - a real history lesson. Army placement and movement is very abstract you declare which leaders and armies you will commit at movement time. The battle outcomes are very random and can swing wildly.
The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 With a limited map and small number of units, the game is not about grand maneuvers. Movement is deliberate and there are a lot of blocking positions. The game is more about managing cards and leaders, so you can make more effective attacks. The game well captures the attritional nature of the war,

Yes Civil War - wargaming is addictive.

Thanks! I'm sure I will be looking back at this post in the future.

One of things that struck me about WBC was the large wargaming crowd. I don't think I'll ever be that much into it but it'd be nice to be play some wargames. At least the ones that don't do on for days and days. Maybe SOME day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.