3 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Weeding out weak units- a Tech idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Moore

Ohio
msg tools
I've seen a bit of discussion here about getting rid of weak military units. What do you think of this tech idea? As I've mentioned before I play with a friend's copy of the game so I don't have it in front of me to be totally sure there's nothing like this already. I don't remember seeing anything like it though.

The artwork could be improved upon as I clearly ripped off the Printing Press and didn't put a lot of time into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting rid of weak units is pretty easy. Get them killed off. In real life a draft gets you bad units for free/cheap. If I were going to have a draft tech it would probably be level 3 at least and something like any 3 resources to draw a Spearman, Archer and Horseman maybe have it trigger only when you lose a battle or city. That could help replenish lost units. Or maybe 2 resources and draw one of each and discard the strongest one (your choice in case of tie).

A str 1 unit with iron and metalworking can kill a str 4 unit, make them sorry for leaving your weak units alive.

For what you want your tech to do it costs way too much for virtually nothing, BEST case scenario you spend 2 iron to upgrade something 2 strength levels, that is a horrible trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, the cost is too high. Two iron is equivalent to two city actions; you might as well spend these actions buying the two units, and then you don't need to discard anything. Furthermore, you have dedicated a tech slot for this; you could have gotten a military tech and upgraded your units.

Next, weak military units are not a problem, they're a mechanism to make the game more interesting. They add a lot of tension and decision making: should I attack? Could the other players have high numbered units? How risky is attacking this village?

If your playgroup does not like this feature, the best solution is to use a house rule that removes all 1s and 3s (or a subset of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.