Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Arkham Horror Monster Figures
FFG is releasing painted Arkham Horror figures (see http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2993 ). I am curious how many people are planning on picking these up in the near future.
Will you buy any of the new Arkham Horror Monsters?
Yes, I will buy multiple monsters where needed to have the same number of monsters for all the expansions ($296.46 for wave 1 according to Eric Herman).
Yes, I will buy one of each.
Yes but only a few.
Yes but unsure how many I will buy.
Unsure.
No.
No and I am pissed that FFG is doing this and I am going to tell everyone why.
      186 answers
Poll created by clip611

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might pick up some for Mansions of Madness, but I doubt that I'd spend the money to do very many of them. I wouldn't do it for Arkham Horror. That's just too many for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the Dunwich Horror monster. It's only ten bucks, you won't need to buy the other miniatures, and if it comes out, you can *PLONK* it on the table and freak out your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Macklin
United States
flag msg tools
What the hell, no star spawn?!?

Anyway this is paining my wallet. Getting enough for all tokens is so expensive, but having a mix of figures and tokens on your board just wont look right.

This game is starting to cost as much money as warhammer (I know the expense is all optional stuff but still)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the Bag of Cthulhus. That'll work for Star Spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put it this way: the monster figures are so bad, that even if FFG offered to replace my AH monster markers with figures for free, I would still keep the markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the ones that did not come with MoM....
I could not see spending another $45 on painted
figs for which I already have multiple unpainted
copies.

Now of course I really have to paint my MoM
Monsterswhistle

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how easy are they to get over here and for how much.

This:
WhiteKnight85 wrote:
I might pick up some for Mansions of Madness, but I doubt that I'd spend the money to do very many of them. I wouldn't do it for Arkham Horror. That's just too many for me.

And This also:
Sam and Max wrote:
Pick up the Dunwich Horror monster. It's only ten bucks, you won't need to buy the other miniatures, and if it comes out, you can *PLONK* it on the table and freak out your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love AH and have all the expansions. I couldn't personally justify the purchase of the investigator figures and I'm afraid the monster figures will also be out of reach. I don't fault FF for producing them at all as there was demand for miniatures from some fans.

I do like the idea of just picking up the Dunwich Horror mini.

I wonder if, in addition to the dice, FF would consider additional options to spruce up the game such as gate holders and monster card bases, these already being items that fans are making on their own and selling (and some are very nicely done). I imagine this might be a more affordable way of enhancing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New monster figures won't work in Mansions, because you need a monster token with stats, and then some kind of new Keeper action to bring them into the game.

Dunwich Horror all the way. Maybe a Dark Young just because it looks cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what did we learn...we can add "Market Research" to the list which includes "Completing a Comprehensive FAQ in a timely manner" of FFG's not-so-strong suits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hmmm... What?
msg tools
mbmbmb
Errr, shouldn't the Dunwich Horror be invisible?
Perhaps FFG could try and sell an empty base...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Invisible? Nope, not according to Lovecraft's story. I fear I've missed something.

Edit: I DID miss something. Apologies MadDoctorX. You and Kungfro have beaten me on Lovecraft knowledge; shame on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Lovecraft's story the Horror is invisible until Armitage does something magical to expose it. Wilbur could glance it by tossing the Powder of Ibn-Ghazi at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I buy them, it will be for display purposes only. It's just too impractical to use them during the game: they're too big for the board, they're too big and too numerous to store (in a transport container or next to a fully-spread-out AH game), and I don't want to stuff my aging chits inside them anyway.

...sure are pretty, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
kostool13 wrote:
I'll put it this way: the monster figures are so bad, that even if FFG offered to replace my AH monster markers with figures for free, I would still keep the markers.

Amen to that! The markers and the cardboard investigators are far better than any of the miniatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Just took a closer look into the gallary. The minitures look terrible!
What is this??? The zombie and the witch is a joke... and rest just awful... I don´t understand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feffe wrote:
Just took a closer look into the gallary. The minitures look terrible!
What is this??? The zombie and the witch is a joke... and rest just awful... I don´t understand...

I have to disagree with you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea. Don't like it? Don't buy it! There are plenty of people who wanted pre-painted monster minis. Kudos to FFG for supplying some of the most affordable pre-painted figs around. They're cheaper than existing metal RAFM minis, and I like most of the sculpts a lot better.
But dear FFG, please make them available UNpainted. I'll pay the same price and everything!

As for not being useful in MoM, well shucks. It's too bad there's not a way to develop and share fan-created scenarios, new rules, stuff like that. Somebody should make a website or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the investigator minis, these are way too crazy expensive for me to justify picking up a full set. I"ll likely plunk some cash down for the Dunwich Horror though, and maybe one of the more iconic Lovecraftian critters to use as a first player marker. Maybe the Dark Young. The Hound of Tindalos and the Shoggoth don't look so good to me. Pity, because those two scream Lovecraft theme. The Shoggoth occasionally screams "Tekeli-Li!" too. I'm interested in seeing what the Elder Things and Deep Ones look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
In Lovecraft's story the Horror is invisible until Armitage does something magical to expose it. Wilbur could glance it by tossing the Powder of Ibn-Ghazi at it.

I think Professor Armitage uses the powder of Ibn-Ghazi to expose the monster. He gets the "recipe" for it from the Necronomicon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am seeing more "pre-painted" figures on the market and it gets me wondering...
Are there warehouses full of people painting these figures all day? OR are companies using 3D printers?
Pretty amazing stuff and PERFECT for the miniature market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aghzpO_UZE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that individual components require a single color. In other words, no gradients allowed (as are apparent in photos of the minis).

They may very well have 3D printers cranking out the unpainted minis, but it's going to take some other assembly line to get the color on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need one more option in there:

"I would buy them if they were supplied unpainted."

As it stands, I will probably pick up the Dunwich Horror, Old Wizard Whately, and the Dark Young. I am HOPING (You listening FFG?) that these will all be made available unpainted with future MoM box sets. It would be highly unlikely that I would purchase any of the monsters already supplied in MoM.

I know I have said in the past I don't like the paint application on these figures. I do understand its assembly line stuff, so colours have to be kept to a minimum. Has anybody tried dipping or giving these figures a wash? It might do wonders for their appearance.

What about a box set of monsters with duplicate chits for AH and MoM included? That way people don't have to worry about their chits being damaged and they can be used straight out of the box in both games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy The Hutt
Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara (FE)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least i'm not the only pissed off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.