Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I come up with lots of ideas for games. Ok, maybe not games. Mostly just neat themes (mainly steampunk, not much else really.) and wanting to use certian mechanics (tile laying and worker placement). So I do not really come up with many ideas whistle. About a year ago I came up with a game inspired by thunderstone using a normal pack of cards. It functions. Most of the time I find a large glaring problem as I form the idea in my head and need to abandon it.

I have now come up with an idea that does not have large glaring holes (yet cry). This is probably in part because the idea isn't complete. It's mostly still just a vague idea. However, enough talk of nothing. Onto the actual game!

A group of inventors have gathered and are trying to build the best machines ever seen by the world! After gathering resources and support from the city, they trade parts with each other until they can build what they envisioned.

The turn:
1) Each player will put their worker on a spot, claiming its special ability.
2) After everyone has placed, the actions are resolved.
3) Players then trade cards with each other. Only the Type of resource they are trading must be revealed (e.g. you want to trade your small gear, but you only need to say it is a gear). I am unsure how this will actually work out, but the trading in civilization sounded interesting, and this seems similar.
4) Build. There will be, some number, of things you can build layed out on the table. Each costing different types and amounts of resources. Possibly a secret invention or two you can build also
5) Go to step 1

Victory points would be given for building the machines. They would of course also have some special abilities. The winner would be the one with the most victory points after x number of turns.

There are five types of cards

Gears, which come in small(x11), medium(x6) and large(x4) total: 21
Nuts and bolts, in quantities of one(x11), three(x6) and five(x4)total: 21
Boiler, which come in small(x9) and large(x5) total: 14
Pipes, which come in short(x9) and long(x5) total: 14
Broken parts(x7) When trading, you could declare these as any part

Card total: 77

The only abilities I have thought of so far for the city where you're placing workers has been:
Smithy - Trade a broken part and another part to change the size of the part (e.g. broken parts and a small gear to get a large gear)
Junk yard (scavenger?) - draw three cards
Trade union - choose another player and force him to trade you a card type of your choice

More thoughts of abilities that could be used would be appreciated

The actual machines, I haven't thought of much. Only some sort of bolt eating machine that would produce vp for feeding it nuts and bolt and A machine to give you another worker to place. Those and the generic you just get vp and no ability.

Ideas for more machines would be welcome too!

So I do not have a group currently to playtest anything with. This would be played by 4 people I would guess, maybe 3-5? Comments and advice would be much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you need to build the prototype, write some rules and play test it by yourself before you "use up" a group of playtesters. You're not ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it could work mechanically.

Ability ideas:

--You may place an additional worker next turn.
--Name a card type. Reveal cards from deck until you reveal a card of that type. Put it into your hand, then shuffle the deck.
--Discard any number of cards. Draw that many cards.
--You may treat your small pipes as large pipes this turn.
--Players may not trade broken parts with you this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Joker
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would need a bit more information too imagine it better …
i didn't get the "support from the city"-part.

I would think it cool, if building the machine is the goal. if you have lovely Pipes & Boilers & nuts in different sizes, i wouldn't convert them into Bolts and VP's then (= abstraction & complication).

I guess the broken parts are bad somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterbob wrote:
I have now come up with an idea that does not have large glaring holes (yet cry). This is probably in part because the idea isn't complete. It's mostly still just a vague idea. However, enough talk of nothing.....

This would be played by 4 people I would guess, maybe 3-5? Comments and advice would be much appreciated

I've read through your idea(s).

And you're right. It's all just idea(s). Better test it out by yourself before you ask someone else to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds interesting (and I'd be up for a copy of a steampunk card game), but I agree with the above posters that it needs to be fleshed out to at least a first draft of full rules before external playtesters are involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jkrenner wrote:

From the sounds of it, broken parts can be traded freely, but not used to build any machines? That's the impression I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Butterbob wrote:
I have now come up with an idea that does not have large glaring holes (yet cry). This is probably in part absolutely because the idea isn't complete. It's mostly still just a vague idea.

FTFY. It is not a game without actual rules with actual playable game pieces. As long as it is just a vague idea, it is not ready for play testers. You are too early in the process to bother showing it to play testers.

OTOH, Posting here is just fine. But whether or not someone here finds something wrong with your design. You still need to take the time playing the game by yourself to shake out he glaring flaws before you show it to your friends. (Showing your friends untested games is a good way to lose those friends as future play testers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest thing is whether the game is interesting and fun to play, and I don't know how to test for that by just reading rules.

I say spend some time firming up the rules, make a prototype, and try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of comments/questions:

How does one acquire the cards for trading?

Secret projects (in addition to revealed ones) are a good idea, because then people cannot guess what you are trying to build based off of the kinds of parts you are trading/requesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly posting so I can track progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that it is not ready for playtesting with outside groups, or groups quite yet. I am working on writing out the rules and making the prototype to solo play test (which should prove strange since the central mechanic is trading). I mainly posted to try and get some ideas for card names and abilities. Maybe i didn't phrase that well.whistle Also, by starting a post with something, I hope to stay motivated to work on the project.

kurthl33t wrote:
jkrenner wrote:

From the sounds of it, broken parts can be traded freely, but not used to build any machines? That's the impression I got.

Yes, that is the intent.

Whoshim wrote:
A couple of comments/questions:

How does one acquire the cards for trading?

From placing their worker in the initial step. There will be spots to draw cards. Everything is subject to change at this point though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is most interesting to me about this game is the idea of competing to build the machines, and the sabotage/getting in the way of other players by trading them broken parts.

I suggest you figure out the VP part and work backwards from there - very hard to design or balance a concept if you don't know how to win!

One idea, which might also help flesh out the theme (and would fit well with steampunk) is that there is one city that's facing a few different problems. The machines are supposed to solve all those problems (eg a water shortage, a vermin problem, and they're trying to build the world's largest clock). The machines might have different ways to solve these problems, and at different levels of efficiency - almost like a rube goldberg. IN fact, there may be ways to tie the problems into one another (catch the rats and put them into hamster wheels that help bring parts up to the top of the tower).

Point is that if you give players freedom in how to build the machines, that will generate different demand for different kinds of parts, encourage different paths to victory, and immerse you in the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a smithy. Maybe a millright?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:

One idea, which might also help flesh out the theme (and would fit well with steampunk) is that there is one city that's facing a few different problems. The machines are supposed to solve all those problems (eg a water shortage, a vermin problem, and they're trying to build the world's largest clock). The machines might have different ways to solve these problems, and at different levels of efficiency - almost like a rube goldberg. IN fact, there may be ways to tie the problems into one another (catch the rats and put them into hamster wheels that help bring parts up to the top of the tower).

That sounds like a pretty good idea, different than what I was thinking for sure. Each problem could have a list of keywords, and each(or some) machines would also provide a keyword. However I can't think of how this would let people be creative or provide multiple paths to victory though.

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Not a smithy. Maybe a millright?

I had never heard of that, it is more fitting. I am also in need of machine names, so if anyone has ideas, please share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
without knowing what "actions are resolved" its hard to say. make a proto, break it, fix it, then break it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.