Bob Kovak
msg tools
mbmbmb
So my wife and I have played Dungeon Run about 20 times now since Christmas (nice gift there), It has started (ok, has been for a while now) to show that the two player game really just ends up being a few dice rolls at the very end of the session against each other, and thats the end of it. The first part of the game of actual exploring is interesting, but it feels rather lackluster when it all comes down to the end. It begs to be played with more people. It also really needs some cards that you hold in your hand that you can use Munchkin style.. it begs to have some tactics added to it in this way.

That being said, she and I actually do like rolling dice directly against each other, so I am now on the lookout for 2 player dungeon/ish (or other suggestions in the fantasy dice rolling realm) where its one person versus the other.

As it stands, games where one player plays the hero(s) and the other player plays the minions look appealing, such as:

Claustrophobia
Super Dungeon Explore

Those are actually the only two that I know of (besides base D&D, which I would much prefer a contained boxed game). What other games are like this?

Im not limited to the idea of hero vs minions, it could be faction versus faction. What I *dont* want is a cooperative dungeon game, we actually prefer 'take that!' type of games, or direct combat against each other. (Which.. Lord of the Rings: The card game looks cool, but its not vs! Potentially a good solo game though)

Ive also read recently about this CCG that looks interesting, it actually involves dice rolls:

Warlord: Saga of the Storm

Of course, if I open up CCGs (Magic) or LCGs (Are there any direct versus LCGs?), the list could get long, and I cant say Im really into CCGs. Id much prefer the LCG idea where there are new whole decks released, and they are self contained, meaning I dont want to really deckbuild, Id like to just swap to a new deck.

Wow, this has become slightly more complicated as I look back over the post, but to sum it up, my wife and I are looking for a dungeon/fantasy combat game where it is her versus me in direct combat, and:

+ Has dice rolls
+ Has equipable item cards that can attach to a hero/minion/thing
+ Has special skills the heros/minions can perform, like the good ol' fashion fireball. Dungeon Run lacks any sort of cool spells!
+ Board is optional
+ Non CCG based, more along the lines of LCGs - a deck is a whole deck. Some minor customization is acceptable of course.

Oddly enough, this appeals to me because its kind of like Battleline, but with some minor dice rolls for tackling, and the cheat token just looks cool:

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game

But its not quite direct combat. Does anyone play this game 2p with their wife? If so, what do you think about it?

Sorry for a lengthy post, its just that Dungeon Run has put the itch in us for a new game, and its also sort of left us with a sour taste because as cool as it is, its just better with more people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No dice in this one, but Dungeon Twister might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You might want to check out Earth Reborn. It's been described as a deeper version of Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of sheer direct conflict:

Summoner Wars: Master Set

And somewhat related would be Heroscape. God help you and your wallet if you go that route, but at least you'll smile all the way to the poor house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn and Super Dungeon Explore (if you're willing to assemble the minis) are great choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.