Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Teaser of a longer article posted here: direct link.

The Lost Road - a fanmade expansion for LotR - LCG

Many expansions have already been released for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Among them, some unofficial, fan-made creations deserve to be played... and reviewed as well, such as The Lost Road, by NinjaDorg...

The Core Set box from the brand new LCG, namely: the Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, published by Fantasy Flight Games / EDGE, was released several months ago. Regularly, expansion sets including heroes, cards for deck building as well as new adventures are also published. Among them, The Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock were extensively playtested and reviewed at LaTaverneDuJeu.fr.
Besides the official material, many fan made expansions were released. Among them, some are really interesting, managing to provide a better experience than most of the official quests. One of the best fan made quest, entitled "The Lost Road", was created by NinjaDorg, the game-designer of the magnificent Fantasy Quest. Initially constituted by three double side quest cards: "Forgotten Path", "Tranquil Glade" and "Goblin Mines", it received thereafter an Introduction: "Growing Darkness", as well as a Conclusion: "Ominous Message" which itself introduces the next quest: The Old Forest...

But today, it is time to walk along The Lost Road to discover its hidden secrets! Read the full illustrated article through clicking on this direct link.

The french version of the article has also been published. Here is the link to the corresponding page:

The Lost Road - un scénario de fan pour le JCE du SdA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried this scenario about 6-7 times.

I only own one core set
I remember winning against it 3 times with Glorfindel.
The best hero for this kind of quest. High attack, high willpower and high HP and can heal himself.
Also the 12 Threat isn't so high to play with this quest.
Loosing 2 times with Aragorn when a Caught in the web came up. Actually i think it's the only card that automatically makes you lose the game.
Also tried with Eowyn for a quick rush. I think one time i did it and won but all the other times i lost.
The only heroes i can think of playing are these 3 Heroes allthough i think i will give it a try with Dunhere.

STRATEGY
- Low cost cards.
- Steward of Gondor is a really good card and there are many low cost allies to come with Leadership.
- Choose either Glowfindel, Aragorn or Eowyn.
- Run like hell during this scenario

THOUGHTS
I think it's a great idea for a scenario that only needs one Hero i enjoyed each time giving it a try.

What to do to make it better?
I guess some cool allies that begin out of the game and come to help at each stage or by giving them something ( raise your threat by 5 to put XXXXX into play by your side).
Or give the choice to a player to pay with threat or resources to accomplish some feats......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the beautifully constructed review, Sylvain!

MountainRoot wrote:

I only own one core set
The best hero for this kind of quest. High attack, high willpower and high HP and can heal himself.
Loosing 2 times with Aragorn when a Caught in the web came up. Actually i think it's the only card that automatically makes you lose the game.
Also tried with Eowyn for a quick rush. I think one time i did it and won but all the other times i lost.
The only heroes i can think of playing is these 3 Heroes allthough i think i will give it a try with Dunhere.

STRATEGY
- Low cost cards.
- Steward of Gondor is a really good card and there are many low cost allies to come with Leadership.

THOUGHTS
I think it's a great idea for a scenario that only needs one Hero i enjoyed each time giving it a try.

I guess some cool allies that begin out of the game and come to help at each stage or by giving them something ( raise your threat by 5 to put XXXXX into play by your side).
Or give the choice to a player to pay with threat or resources to accomplish some feats......

Some great tips above and cool ideas in here too, might be pinching some of those later ones for the KD scenarios I'm designing.

FWIW I only had the one core set when I designed this scenario; and most of my others too. And it's been harder to create new scenarios since all the expansion packs started arriving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprisingly I wasn't enthused enough about the game to get the expansion packs but these fanmade scenarios have really made the core set a very worthy purchase. Bravo ND! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainRoot wrote:

I only own one core set
The only heroes i can think of playing are these 3 Heroes allthough i think i will give it a try with Dunhere.

STRATEGY
- Low cost cards.

THOUGHTS

Actually, you only need to rush the first stage of the quest.
As soon as Legolas joisn your previously lone Hero, his powerfull capacity will enable you to obtain enough Progress Tokens to reach stage 3... Legolas should be able to defeat stage 3 alone in case your other Hero can protect him.

Spirit is a very nice and reliable sphere to perform this quest, because it enables you to cancel the most dangerous Treacheries.
Besides, Attachements are always better than Allies, so that you should rely a lot on Unexpected Courage / Steward of Gondor + Celebrian Stone and so on as usual.
In most cases, Eowyn automatically triggers the second stage of the quest at turn 1 or 2.
Will 3 characters like Glorfindel are powerful, but I would rather use Aragorn or Gimli (Will 2 only) instead, because of the lack of a strong defender, while you will receive the help of a strong attacker (namely Legolas).
With Gimli, it is a little bit more difficult to hit stage 2 of the quest, but Tactics provide strong short event cards for beating the following stages of the quest through fighting.
Aragorn is very powerful since he can quest and defend during stage 1. Thus, you are susceptible to get rid of one Enemy from the Staging Area, which should enable you to trigger stage 2 more easily than with another character.
Owing to Steward of Gondor, Leadership can gather the help of Gandalf and make a breakthrough enabling to beat stage 1. However, Celebrian Stone will provide 2 additionnal, helpful Will points.

But I actually play with 3 Core Sets and I can rely much on strong cards. I have to admit that plysing with only 1 Core Set is harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The french version of the article has been published. Here is the link to the corresponding page.

The Lost Road - un scénario de fan pour le JCE du SdA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.