Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
A suitably attention grabbing title for a suitably attention grabbing subject.

Call me shallow, but I love a game with high-quality parts. I'm not just talking about glossy cards, fancy dice & intricately detailed miniatures. I love an amazing board that captures the whole feel of the game and keeps you playing for hours trying to traverse from location to location. And not just because the game tells you to but because you WANT to be in that beautifully illustrated location. You can smell it. You can feel it in the air. It's an immersive experience like no other... well it's like the title says, it's pretty much a "board-gasm".

Bearing this in mind I'd love to hear what high-quality games you have all come across in your travels. The sort of games where a $100 price tag doesn't make your balk at the price, it just makes you think "Oh yeah, you know you're worth it!" before giving the inanimate object a suggestive wink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really played a game that blew me away visually yet, but I know what you're talking about when you say you can feel like you're there in the game. That more often happens to me when I play a game with a strong theme. The few times I've played D&D my imagination has run wild and I really felt like I was Bandokie the rogue gnome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. H.
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Steam, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Firenze for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Merchants & Marauders h... though an earlier version that looked like a hand-drawn map was drool-licious for sheer sex appeal...

A little work with some sketch paper, tea bags, matches and a laminater could certainly bring that hand-drawn map feel back to life for you. In fact you've alerted me to this game & possibly this project as well Bit of a fan of the old treasure maps of yore myself

TheFlatline wrote:
Android has one of the most beautiful boards I've ever seen too.

The only thing holding me back from this one is how daunting the gameplay looks.

TheFlatline wrote:
Easily though Yggdrasil has a board that is a thing of beauty. I'd seriously consider mounting it and putting it on my wall it's so pretty to look at.

That is one beautiful board, indeed!

TheFlatline wrote:
Another game board I'd mount on the wall (but for a totally different reason) is High Frontier but I'm a geek like that.

And another beauty! Very impressive!

tweetlebeetle wrote:
Planet Steam, definitely.

Very industrial! I'm intrigued by the board and parts alone on that game

hanibalicious wrote:
Firenze for sure.

What's the gameplay like? Looks like it's more suited to several players? I love the way it's very in-your-face about who is where in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring Collector's Edition.

I also like the components and the "clothboard" of Dreadfleet. When I finish painting it, it'll look gorgeous (I hope...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kikerl wrote:
War of the Ring Collector's Edition.

That version of the game certainly demands attention! There's not one thing I can point out wrong with that game... though the price tag has it just outside my budget

kikerl wrote:
I also like the components and the "clothboard" of Dreadfleet. When I finish painting it, it'll look gorgeous (I hope...)

Is this like a Fantasy version (and obviously current as well) of Battlefleet Gothic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My very first "German" game, Elfenland, sorta gave me that feeling and drew me in. I love the board as the art, along with the other components, seems to fit the theme well...plus I really like the wooden boots as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the games (played recently) that struck me as really put together well is Belfort. The bits are real nice, high quality... and the art kicks ass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
Is this like a Fantasy version (and obviously current as well) of Battlefleet Gothic?

It's closer to Man O' War, but Dreadfleet's mechanics differ greatly from both of these GW games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the high production value of Forbidden Island makes it the cheapest example of this. Also explains some of its popularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Mensa Mind Games in 2010 and I loved that pure aesthetics was 20% of each game's score.

I'm annoyed the whole time I'm playing a game that's unattractive or has cards/chits that you cannot read/identify. I have a studio with a whole library card catalogue full of mostly recycled or cheap tiny items that can be used in mosaics or pimping games. Amazing what upgrading a few bits in a game will add to the enjoyment. Think about all those expensive chess sets out there - same game, but somehow it feels more important playing on a better set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is much quicker than an hour, but Tobago has excellent pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:

What's the gameplay like? Looks like it's more suited to several players? I love the way it's very in-your-face about who is where in the game

It's pretty much a bog-standard medium euro, but has some great bits, and fun card-tableau building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dread Pirate had some excellent gold doubloons plus some jewels and a nice cloth game mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siena - with art by Ambrogio Lorenzetti
The Road to Canterbury - with art by Hieronimus Bosch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb

My roots of gaming came from the depths of Wizkids during the era of Mage Knight miniatures. I remember seeing that original Black Powder Starter set and thinking, it shall be mine. It was. When I saw Super Dungeon Explore for $99.99, I did what any real man would do:

Pretend to be more of a man than he really was, got that look in my eyes like "yeah, I've got the balls,", and then strolled up to the counter, paid with a $100 bill and realized I needed to pay tax and threw some ones up, waltzed out unsure of what I was actually doing, unboxed it *boardgasm 1*, drooled a little, played it *boardgasm 2*, got yelled at by wife when she found out it was $100, and gave it as a gift to my friend in which I see once a week at the local game shop

Never forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the one lately that made me sigh with love is On the Underground.

I miss London and the board looks like a Tube map. I'd hang that puppy on my wall if I didn't love the game and play it often.

I'd also say Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's not the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, but the sheer weight of the box and the amount of stuff in there made my heart go pitty-pat. And when I play, I get so lost in the theme and stories I go somewhere else for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:

That's a beautiful board. Could see it having multiple uses, especially for a pen & paper RPG

blakstar wrote:

That looks amazing. I've been looking around for a decent worker-placement game that I could sink my teeth into; this one looks like it could be the one!

EitherOrlok wrote:
It's closer to Man O' War, but Dreadfleet's mechanics differ greatly from both of these GW games.

Thanks for the clarification If I ever pull my finger out to start a game that requires painting miniatures again then this may be the port of call (mind the shipping pun)...

Sam Houston wrote:

I don't know why I've always skimmed past this game. I love tile-based games, thanks for putting this on the radar and making me look at it again.

Sam Houston wrote:
I'm annoyed the whole time I'm playing a game that's unattractive or has cards/chits that you cannot read/identify... Amazing what upgrading a few bits in a game will add to the enjoyment.

Think about all those expensive chess sets out there - same game, but somehow it feels more important playing on a better set.

So very true. There are plenty of games out there with wonderfully thought out mechanics but are let down so heavily (and in alot of instances glazed over) because they don't have the right artwork direction or level of detail in components.

MyParadox wrote:

Love those liti Tikis! Great theme too! My wallet is starting to curse me for opening up this topic...

hanibalicious wrote:
It's pretty much a bog-standard medium euro, but has some great bits, and fun card-tableau building.

Will have to watch my FLGS for this one ended up on the shelves. Thankfully my FLGS has a fairly even mix of Euro/Ameritrash amongst all the TCGs, CMGs, tabletop & RPGs

Zebadiah wrote:

Looks like that game's map/board fits the description of Merchants & Marauders that was spoken about a bit futher up, without the effort of DYI. Map is beautifully illustrated!

quelf elf wrote:

Wow... just wow! Stunning artwork all round! It could be a re-themed Ludo and I'd still want to play it!

quelf elf wrote:

I think I'm torn between this & Sienna now. I'd perhaps just nudge TRtC above Sienna if only due to it looking like more enjoyable mechanics

knatebaker wrote:

When I saw Super Dungeon Explore for $99.99, I did what any real man would do:

Pretend to be more of a man than he really was, got that look in my eyes like "yeah, I've got the balls,", and then strolled up to the counter, paid with a $100 bill...

I just stumbled across this game the other day, Nate. I have to say I pretty much board-gasm'd on the spot when I saw all the components and the board. Looks immense! I've always had a soft spot for JRPGs

OxfordRow wrote:

That's got to be one of the only few "modern" train-based games I've seen. Looks great, can understand how it could pull the heart strings back to the UK

OxfordRow wrote:

Damn, that's alot of components! I'd be guessing there's alot of reading to be done before you can start playing it. Am sure the box is as heavy as the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. I just said something very much like this in another topic within the last hour or so.

Here is gaming pron ladies and germs;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:

Here is gaming pron ladies and germs;

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?

All that beauty and it can be played solitaire as well? I see the link to pron now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.