Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm playing Rockets vs the Reapers. I'm on the Reapers 40 with 1st and 10. I play a HB Dive play onto the opponents GL Stand. That's the Play die, and 3 Defense die. Ouch.

We rolled -9, -9, -6... and a breakaway symbol.

*groan*

So we roll again...

1, -8, -9 and... wait for it... another breakaway symbol.

Huh... so...

We roll again.

-9, -4, -6, and an 'X'.

For those keeping score, that's a loss of 59 yards which leaves me at 2 and 69 on the 1 yard line.

I ended up converting the 1st down, but that's another story.

The -59 yard run took us both RIGHT out of the game, to be honest. Do you HAVE to keep re-rolling on breakaway symbols? Seems like the offensive players could just dive to the ground to stop the nut-kicking. We're house ruling it this way, anyways... but it seems like a pretty silly situation to be in the base rules. I realize this is a bit extreme, but this kind of thing should NEVER happen. I'm no stat geek, but I'm pretty sure that would be a record for the worst run in history.

Am I missing something in the rules that prevents this silliness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, I would say the Breakaway is optional precisely for situations like this. A Breakaway is intended to be a positive result for the offense. So if you're getting chased backwards your runner can choose to go to the ground.

EDIT: In fact, Brad Fuller first suggested this a few threads ago. So thanks to him. And apologies to Greg Lott for the "nut-kicking."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
here's the correction, We will also post this into the Rules errata

Breakaway Result Clarification

A Breakaway is intended to be a positive result for the offense. If a Breakaway is rolled and the total result is NEGATIVE, then the Offense has the option to not re-roll, declaring the runner is down and the ball is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Yes, I would say the Breakaway is optional precisely for situations like this. A Breakaway is intended to be a positive result for the offense. So if you're getting chased backwards your runner can choose to go to the ground.

EDIT: In fact, Brad Fuller first suggested this a few threads ago. So thanks to him. And apologies to Greg Lott for the "nut-kicking."

Ahhh, missed that. I'll have to look for it.

Thanks for the response, fellas!

Fun game, btw! Every time I play, I resist the urge to write down and track the stats. I'm also trying to come up with a way to "assign" yardage to individual players (i.e. TE, WR1, WR2, etc). I know that's a but excessive and this game is not necessarily meant to be a simulation, but... I guess I'm just sick like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did suggest that as a house rule, but my favorite rule is that 3 breakaways is a automatic touchdown, I like the risk of playing with both of those rules. Choose to go down or try for the TD, in this case you would have lost 59 yards then somehow found a seam and scored... whew better let the running back have a breather after that play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
I did suggest that as a house rule, but my favorite rule is that 3 breakaways is a automatic touchdown, I like the risk of playing with both of those rules. Choose to go down or try for the TD, in this case you would have lost 59 yards then somehow found a seam and scored... whew better let the running back have a breather after that play.

And we WERE playing that rule. Believe me, I was praying for that 3rd breakaway symbol.

All by itself, that optional rule doesn't really alleviate the problem. When you are 40 yards deep, having a 1/6 chance of scoring on the next roll is small consolation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Here is my House Rule:

Running Play maximum loss of 7 yds, still roll for 3 breakaways (finds hole in the line.)

Passing Play maximum loss of 15 yds (sack), still roll for 3 breakaways (finds open receiver.)

I think think these losses are more in line with reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phuloivet wrote:
Here is my House Rule:

Running Play maximum loss of 7 yds, still roll for 3 breakaways (finds hole in the line.)

Passing Play maximum loss of 15 yds (sack), still roll for 3 breakaways (finds open receiver.)

I think think these losses are more in line with reality.

Good rules (which I thin I'll use), but I wouldn't continue rolling for breakaways once you've hit your limit. Finding a hole is one thing. Running a 70 yard TD is something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
If you watch enough Cincinnati Bengal games, 70 yard breakaways don't seem that rare (for the other side, of course)!

OPTIONAL: If you reach the maximum loss limit, half (round down) the yardage on a breakaway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zimmerman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:

A Breakaway is intended to be a positive result for the offense. If a Breakaway is rolled and the total result is NEGATIVE, then the Offense has the option to not re-roll, declaring the runner is down and the ball is dead.

So can an offensive player who gets enough yards for a first down with a breakaway also choose to not breakaway? I had a game where I ended up right on the first down marker with a breakaway but the odds were against me that I would end up with positive yards again.

According to this clarification it seems that I must roll with positive yardage even if I do not want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

Fun game, btw! Every time I play, I resist the urge to write down and track the stats. I'm also trying to come up with a way to "assign" yardage to individual players (i.e. TE, WR1, WR2, etc). I know that's a but excessive and this game is not necessarily meant to be a simulation, but... I guess I'm just sick like that.

I'm with you man. I came from the Strat world and while I love the game, I wanted something simple which lead me to 1nG...still, the stat thing carried over for me. I love writing down the stats...and I had the same thought about what player the ball was thrown to as well...I thought of maybe doing a d6:

You would designate for your "team" the individual breakdown...for my Packers I'd say:

Passing
1-2 Jordy Nelson
3-4 Randall Cobb
5 James Jones
6 Jermichael Finley

Rushing
1-2 Alex Green
4-6 James Starks

And then roll for the result...

But then, that would be crazy, right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:

Hi Frank!

Thanks! Quick clarification: does the negative yardage still apply to the play if the offense elects to not reroll?

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.