Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all

I just played my first playthrough of this yesterday, and it was fun. :) I just had a question after playing the game. How many spells can I play per turn? As far as I could read, I could play one attack (if I'm not using my physical attack) and as many other spells as I want. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may play one attack spell during you turn. You may only play counter spells in other players turns and only as a response. You may use as many energy cards as you want during your turn, and play as many item cards and neutral spells as you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
You may play one attack spell during you turn. You may only play counter spells in other players turns and only as a response. You may use as many energy cards as you want during your turn, and play as many item cards and neutral spells as you want.

That's how I played it and read it, but there was some doubt. Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
That's how I played it and read it, but there was some doubt. Thanks a lot!

Velbekomme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You may use as many energy cards as you want during your turn

I'm confused by what you mean by this part - Energy card can only be used in conjunction with other spells or as a way to boost speed. For boosting speed, I believe you can only use one energy card and only do it once per turn. To augment other spells, yes, you can use as much energy as you want. However, you can only augment a spell with one energy card per spell.

You can cast as many "neutral" spells as you want - i.e. spells that are not counterspells or attacks.

Only one attack per turn (either an attack spell OR punching).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a concise summary. One energy per spell or action, be it using it with a spell or adding it to your movement. There's a spell card "Add" which allows you to use more than one energy card at a time for one spell or action, however.You can always use any spell at a base value of "1" (see "Boosting Spells"), so even if you don't have an energy card you can cast a spell.

Tom Jolly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can only use one energy card to each spell and one to boost movement, but other than that there is no limit on how many energy cards you can use during your turn.

The new Wiz-War (eighth edition) has cards that either can be used as cards or energy, which is a great addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Simonsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But now tell this: The rules state that I can only play one attack card per turn but can I play a second attack card as an energy card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make one attack per turn. Casting an attack spell is making an attack; using an attack spell as an energy card is not making an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Simonsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it makes sense but it's not what the rules say.

On page 9..."may play one attack spell per turn"

Now if we look at an attack spell with an energy value (say Drop object) we note that the card is NOT marked as an attack and energy cards but rather just with the attack icon.

I have presumed it is as you say but the rules can clearly be interpreted in a way that only allows the playing of 1 attack spell/card per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A little off-topic side note: Tom, you should give lessons at FFG on how to write a rule book. Wiz War has the best rule book I've seen from FFG. Clear, good examples, numbered sections, glossary, index, you've covered all the bases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
A little off-topic side note: Tom, you should give lessons at FFG on how to write a rule book. Wiz War has the best rule book I've seen from FFG. Clear, good examples, numbered sections, glossary, index, you've covered all the bases!

I'm fairly sure Kevin Wilson deserves a bit of credit on that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solosolo wrote:
Yes it makes sense but it's not what the rules say.

On page 9..."may play one attack spell per turn"

Now if we look at an attack spell with an energy value (say Drop object) we note that the card is NOT marked as an attack and energy cards but rather just with the attack icon.

I have presumed it is as you say but the rules can clearly be interpreted in a way that only allows the playing of 1 attack spell/card per turn.

Also on page 9: "Note: Some Magic cards display an energy value in the lower-middle area of the card. Players can spend these cards for their energy value instead of playing them for their effect."

So if you use a attack card as energy, you use the energy instead of the attack effect. In other words when you use a attack card as energy, it count as a energy card and not a attack spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
tssfulk wrote:

I'm fairly sure Kevin Wilson deserves a bit of credit on that as well.

I had to do very little editing on the rules. Kevin and the rest of the FFG team did an excellent job, and the rules are truly much clearer than the 5th edition rules. In my opinion.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.