Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come across this little gem and if you're into Turn Based Strats, Ravenmark is certainly worth a look. I would best describe it as Battle for Wesnoth meets Total War Series Lite.

I do have 2 issues with it which I'll come to in a minute but here's a screenshot and iTunes link:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ravenmark-scourge-estellion/i...

I will admit I've only played the Lite version so far but I am impressed. However the main purpose of this thread is to discuss the issues I've encountered which I find curtail the game to a quite a degree. I've been in communication with the developers, Witching Hour Studios (WHS) and whilst they have been very receptive and keen to exchange views and feedback, they at this point remain unconvinced that changes are required. My hope is that this thread (which they are tracking) will garnish more discussion on the subject and if enough weight is gained, convince WHS to make changes.

Ok enough of the small talk, here are the 2 main issues as I see it:

Issue 1) No Zones of Control.

Units do not exert any Zones of Control which means opposing units can simply 'slip' past one another. This in my opinion undermines any system that wishes to incorporate formations and formational tactics such as flank and rear attacks as it makes it too easy for units to walk past an opposing formation and hit it in the flank.

Issue 2) Initiative Based Movement.

Whilst I used the categorisation of Turn Based Strategy, all movement is simultaneous based on an initiative order which spans both opposing armies. This essentially means that some of my units might move first, then some of my opponents, then some of mine again and so on but all moves must be plotted upfront during the 'Command Phase'.

This makes it quite difficult to engage opposing units because if a particular enemy unit has a higher initiative than the unit you wish to move to melee it, there's a very good chance it will have moved away by the time your unit gets there and your move is essentially wasted.

Add both issues together where units can slip past each other and disengage from melee at will as well as having to guess where opposing units might be by the time your unit moves and you end up with a rather chaotic battle with lots of randomness.

If both of these issues were addressed, Ravenmark could be one of the finest Turn Based Strats to date and the reason why I've gone to these lengths to express my opinion.

Although I am biased I hope I've presented the information in an objective manner and would welcome any comments that support or refute the above claims.

As mentioned there is a free Lite version of Ravenmark available so all your feedback requires is your time, not money.

Thanks in advance.

Yojimbo252.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion (A very decent Turn Based Strategy game)
I don't have an iOs device so I can't try this personally, but from your description this should be right up my alley, except that the "no zones of control" is a huge deal breaker, imho, for the same reasons you stated.

The second issue if zones of control are implemented stops to be an issue (if done right of course): at that point if you want a slow unit to be "certain" to hit a fast unit for example, you'd have to intercept it with an equal fast one of yours.

The concept of the command phase is interesting in itself, I think. With no ZoC and disengage at will it makes really no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion (A very decent Turn Based Strategy game)
No_Frets wrote:
The second issue if zones of control are implemented stops to be an issue (if done right of course): at that point if you want a slow unit to be "certain" to hit a fast unit for example, you'd have to intercept it with an equal fast one of yours.

Agreed. That's almost word for word my feedback to the developers where units ought to be forced to disengage from melee via a 'Retreat' move directly away from the opposing unit or something to the effect, rather than simply being allowed to walk away.

Thanks for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, will look into it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.