Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back, Trey Chambers posted a set of four decks built from 1 core set, where two of them were the primary decks, and the other 2 "sucked", but were usable as support decks for four player.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/687464/play-4-player-now-fou...

Now that we have 6 adventure packs and an expansion, it would seem that the opportunities for building a set of 4 player decks are a lot better, but the vast majority of decks people post on here are for single player, and overlap with a lot of the cards.

I tried myself producing four decks, a Dunedain/Elf deck, a Rohan deck, a Dwarf/Gondor deck and an Eagle deck, but got absolutely nowhere with them.

Each sphere now has just either 71 or 74 cards with a single core set, so it would be possible to run 4 single sphere tournament legal decks, but I suspect they would also perform fairly poorly.

So, my question is, has anyone managed to produce, as Trey did previously, a set of four decks good decks that can be used in 2, 3 or 4 player games with a reasonable level of fun/success?

As a further thought, there are now two spheres with 71 cards, two with 74 cards and 25 neutral cards (if I've counted correctly) giving 315 player cards in total. This would actually allow for 5 decks of 60 cards, with 15 left over. Has anyone tried 5 player? whistlewhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
iain_benson wrote:
A while back, Trey Chambers posted a set of four decks built from 1 core set, where two of them were the primary decks, and the other 2 "sucked", but were usable as support decks for four player.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/687464/play-4-player-now-fou...

Now that we have 6 adventure packs and an expansion, it would seem that the opportunities for building a set of 4 player decks are a lot better, but the vast majority of decks people post on here are for single player, and overlap with a lot of the cards.

I tried myself producing four decks, a Dunedain/Elf deck, a Rohan deck, a Dwarf/Gondor deck and an Eagle deck, but got absolutely nowhere with them.

Each sphere now has just either 71 or 74 cards with a single core set, so it would be possible to run 4 single sphere tournament legal decks, but I suspect they would also perform fairly poorly.

So, my question is, has anyone managed to produce, as Trey did previously, a set of four decks good decks that can be used in 2, 3 or 4 player games with a reasonable level of fun/success?

As a further thought, there are now two spheres with 71 cards, two with 74 cards and 25 neutral cards (if I've counted correctly) giving 315 player cards in total. This would actually allow for 5 decks of 60 cards, with 15 left over. Has anyone tried 5 player? whistlewhistle

Actually i think 4 players game is so easy so you dont need really to build up some special decks for that.MOno deck should to work quite ok. Maybe only 1 exception is Osgilath..... But you you say you get nowhere....... Hmmmm quite strange actually.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never actually tried the decks with four players as I wasn't having much luck with any combination of them two handed (except with Spiders of Mirkwood) so didn't really want to introduce it to my gaming group until I was fairly happy with all the decks, and I don't know if we would get two three or four people wanting to play.

I'm surprised it is considered easy with 4 players, I would have thought the fact that you still get one card per player would scale it reasonably well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With four players there is really no reason to do deckbuilding, each player just picks one sphere and the best 3 hero's to his liking. then filter out the bad cards of the sphere and play with the 50 you'd remove last.
FFG is adressing the scaling a bit with recent sets in Khazad Dum and some earlier ones like Hunt for Gollum. Overall having four players means you have all the options available to you, 24 cards to start with, 4 cards per turn and 12 resources in addition to the heroes themself; even with 4 cards from the encounter deck each turn it doesn't provide much opposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know man, we just played 4 player against Flight from Moria and got worked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest, I don't know if it's me, or the people I play with, or the fact that I am the one that usually builds all 4 player decks and try to explain the combos in each deck... but I've always felt my solo plays are much easier than my 4 player sessions, which I play almost weekly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played most the way through the mirkwood cycle 4 player. We haven't lost a single hero and that is just using the basic 4 core decks from the base set with the 3 heros people want to use.

I use the cards from the mirkwood cycle to build my solo and 2 player games, but with 4 players it hasn't been necessary to use any of the other cards. I haven't played the gencon expansion (on it's way to me now) but the other difficult scenarios haven't been all that difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.