Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a new scenario I've been working on to add some variety to our games.

SCENARIO: RESCUE MISSION

This is a scenario for 4 heroes (initially 2 heroes), and as such is 16-bit, with additional rules.

SPECIAL RULES

1.The dungeon layout is predetermined, with spawning points, chests etc. mapped out.
2.New tiles are used.
3.Two heroes (of the hero team's choice) are contained within enclosed rooms, and need to be rescued. Trapped heroes are considered to be "Bound", tied-up, or chained in some way. Hence that cannot be activated until released. Trapped heroes can not have items transferred to them/ potions used on them, or be activated in any way by the hero team until released from their "prison". They are considered released when any hero has entered their "prison" tile.
4.The heroes win by exiting the dungeon the way they entered. (They do not have to kill the bosses or spawning points).
5.The consul wins by killing all heroes.
6.Unexplored tiles are only placed when a hero moves into a square adjacent to the hallway marking the entrance of the new tile. (I have printed Hallway tiles to mark these points so heroes know where to head to generate a new section of the dungeon. It is also useful to place some sort of wall tile over the hallway markings on the main board sections if these are not in use.) Hereafter the tile remains in play.
7.The Consul can not use spawning points in a room which has not been entered.
8.New terrain effects are in play: Blocked passage, Mushroom Bombs, Locked Door, Alchemist's Bench.
9.Four "Key" cards are mixed in to the Loot deck. (If you do not want the random element, use this rule instead: The Heroes may sacrifice a drawn Loot card to receive a Key counter instead. The Hero who carries the Key counter may use it and one Action Point to open a Door that is adjacent.)
10.The rules regarding number of chests, and number of spawning points, are over-ruled by these rules and the predetermined dungeon layout.
11.When choosing your four spawning points, you can choose to use four Kobold Warrens, or three Warrens and one Egg Clutch. With three Kobold Warrens, the Consul gets the number of Kobold figures you would get from having two Warrens (or from one card) with +1 figure of each type. (Thanks to James Arnoldi's suggestion in previous thread for this idea.)

NEW TERRAIN EFFECTS

1.LOCKED DOOR: A model may not pass through the locked door unless it has been opened with a key. A locked door is unaffected by explosions.
2.BLOCKED PASSAGE: A blocked passage is represented by "Blocked Passage" tiles on individual squares. A model may not pass through a blocked passage. One square of a blocked passage can be removed by exploding an item adjacent to it (i.e. Mushroom Bombs).
3.MUSHROOM BOMBS: These are scattered around the dungeon. They can be picked up by moving into the square they are in. These items may be picked up by any hero and any number may be carried. They can be distributed to any hero in the dungeon, regardless of distance. They do not need to be equipped. These items explode costing one action point, when used adjacent to a blocked passage.
4.ALCHEMIST'S BENCH: Represented by a model or other marker (e.g Heroquest Alchemist's Bench model). Use one action to pick up a potion:
1.Dematerialize (one potion available only): When taken, can walk through a wall, blocked passage, or door, until next activation. Cannot attack or be attacked. Ignore terrain features and enemy models for movement.
2.Pick up a normal potion (once per player turn).

NEW LOOT CARDS

1.KEY (x4): A model can carry any number of keys without equipping. They can be distributed to other heroes in the dungeon regardless of distance. A key opens a locked door. (NB: You can use the incorrectly printed Loot cards included with the game, with a new front attached to make them into Key cards).

LAYOUT:

AREA 1: Entry point (South) from normal "Hallway" Centre of board. One spawning point. One chest. One Mushroom Bombs tile.
AREA 2: Green Corridor. Enter by exiting East from Entry point into green section.
AREA 3: North from Green Corridor. Enter through Locked Door. Trapped Hero inside. One key token placed as a tile in this room (can be picked up and used as described above on Loot cards).
AREA 4: Green Square. Enter by going South from Green Corridor. One Spawning point. One Chest. One Mushroom Bombs tile.
AREA 5: Lava tile. Enter by going North from Entry Point (or East from Crystal tile). Entrance blocked by two blocked passage tiles. One chest. One Spawning Point. Alchemist's bench. 2 Mushroom Bombs.
AREA 6: Blue Corridor. Enter by going West from Entry Point. Entrance blocked by four blocked passage tiles.
AREA 7: Chequered Square. Enter West from Entry Point. One Chest, One Mushroom Bombs tile.
AREA 8: Orange Corridor: Enter North from Chequered Square.
AREA 9: Crystal Tile. Enter North from Orange Corridor or East from Lava Tile. One Chest. One Hero trapped by two block passage tiles. One Mushroom Bombs tile in the trapped area. One Spawning Point.

COMPONENTS:

NEW AREA TILES: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m13...

BLOCKED PASSAGE AND MUSHROOM BOMB TILES: http://www.yeoldeinn.com/eu-system.php

DOOR MINIATURE (Heroquest?) OR TILE NEEDED.

ALCHEMIST BENCH MINIATURE (Heroquest?) OR TILE NEEDED.

KEY LOOT CARDS x 4. One Key Tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
I like it. A lot, in fact.

I just want to suggest one tiny change: instead of Key loot cards, how about this:

"The Heroes may sacrifice a drawn Loot card to receive a Key counter instead. The Hero who carries the Key counter may use it and one Action Point to open a Door that is adjacent."

Maybe to make up for how much more easily the Heroes can get keys, double the Consul's allotment of doors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, that is another option - I think it would work very well. The reason for keys as loot though is because I liked the idea of the heroes not knowing where to find a key - is it in a treasure chest? Is it in another room I haven't explored? And then they stumble upon one when killing a tiny minion. Maybe I could increase the number of key loot cards if it is too difficult.

I havent played this scenario yet- will try it this week. I think I might stick with the passages/bombs feature for one trapped hero and shelve the locked door idea for another scenario, instead using a rotating room tile for the other trapped hero (East wing) using Heroquest rotating room tile from "Witchlord" expansion (www.yeoldeinn.com).

NEW TERRAIN FEATURE: Rotating room - starts facing hero. Rotates 180 degrees when another hero treads on a nearby "pressure point" tile (custom made tile), revealing trapped hero in previously undiscovered prison tile. Will rotate back as soon as hero steps off the pressure tile. Hence two heroes must work as a team to get the trapped hero out. (This mechanic could be advanced in later scenarios by placing "boulder" tiles in the dungeon which could be pushed onto the pressure point activating the rotation/opening a door.)

Other new rules for the above scenario:
1. Trapped heroes can not have items transferred to them/ potions used on them, or be activated in any way by the hero team until released from their "prison". They are considered released when any hero has entered their "prison" tile.
2. Unexplored tiles are only placed when a hero moves into a square adjacent to the hallway marking the entrance of the new tile. (I have printed Hallway tiles to mark these points so heroes know where to head to generate a new section of the dungeon. It is also useful to place some sort of wall tile over the hallway markings on the main board sections if these exits are not in use in the scenario to avoid confusion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Well, the significant problem with the keys being on cards is that it's random; and a random item should not be a necessary completion item otherwise it leads to frustration.

But I am adapting your notion of doors and keys for my upcoming Dungeon Dressing article; I have some old Mage Knight stuff too that I've been itching to use for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This randomness for completion is why I built in the Alchemist table mechanism which allows the heroes to walk through the locked door. I think the following rules need to be added to make this work properly.

NEW RULE: Trapped heroes are considered to be "Bound", tied-up, or chained in some way. Hence that cannot be activated until released (see above). This allows us to place a key in one "prison" room with the prisoner, since they can't use it until released. We can also place an "Exploding Mushroom" tile inside the second prison room. Now, if no keys are found, the potion from the alchemist's table will allow a hero to enter the prison and free the prisoner.

I've definitely got a few ideas for your Dungeon Dressing article. I'll head over to that thread shortly!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION REPORT: First trial run of this scenario, this evening.

The mechanic of not being able to see what is in another part of the dungeon until you enter it was not workable. It meant that there was only one spawn point in play for most of the game. The heroes sat back, killed wave after wave of bad guy until the dragon appeared. They then only had him to face, since no other spawn points had been discovered. They killed him off and were free to roam the dungeon releasing the prisoners with no enemies at all to fight! This is an easy problem to fix, by placing the whole dungeon on the table from the very beginning, including all spawn points. This removes the "exploration" aspect I was looking for, but I think it would balance things a lot.

The other observation was that the Exploding Mushrooms need to clear a whole blocked passage rather than one blocked tile. Otherwise the heroes can unblock one square leaving insufficient space for the bosses to go through. (Unless you find a way to interpret the ill-defined "squeezing" mentioned in the rule book).

I will play this scenario again soon, and increase the duration by releasing a second ogre at Super, and the Dragon at 16-Bit (Overcharge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N India
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I love the idea of a daring rescue attempt, with the goal of freeing the captured hereos and making a quick getaway. Very thematic and the terrain effects are awesome, kind of reminiscent of the old-school video games of which I do so love! The Alchemist's Bench is great and a very useful addition as well, and I really like the idea of looking for keys (again very video-game like). Many thanks for the link to the area tiles. Looking forward to printing some out and having a go at it! Too bad the exploration part didn't work out as planned, but it's a great idea on paper. Thanks for the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.