Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little variant to increase the pressure and make Elder Sign purchasing less lame. I don't think I've seen something like this before, but I might have missed it. EDIT: I missed it. Failing task costing an hour has been previously suggested here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/720190/mr-skeletors-elde...

-Whenever you fail a task and try again, place the die you set apart for failing (not those for terror effects, unless you want to crank up the difficulty some more) next to the clock. At the end of your turn, advance the clock 3 hours (the usual) plus 1 hour for every die next to the clock.

-When you spend trophies on the entrance, at the end of your turn, advance the clock 3 hours plus 1 hour for every card or token spent. For example, when you buy an elder sign with 5 cards (5x2), advance the clock 8 hours. You just spent almost 3 turns to get one sign.
(remark: the one who thought that buying souvenirs was appropriate for the theme should be devoured. I just interpret it as doing research based on the things you've seen so far (i.e. the cards and tokens you've completed), which then leads you to an item, clue, evidence that convinces someone to help you, or even an elder sign).

In addition, I use the following (relevant) changes:

-every midnight, add one doom token (in addition to possible additions because of mythos cards) (EDIT: these days we prefer to just draw two mythos cards per midnight. It's more fun an feels less artificial than the mandatory doom token). However, whenever a doom token is a *reward* for a quest, remove one doom token instead (this last part doesn't make it harder, but I saw this mentioned somewhere around here, and I just like this a lot. It gives some more purpose and direction).

-for some extra bite to the mythos cards: mythos cards reading `investigator/investigators has/have' have their text changed to `investigator/investigators discards/discard'

I also play with rule changes for other world cards that mostly add some flavor and boosted cooperation a bit because it's fun. I tried the exploring the museum variant, but didn't like that at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my son and I play with 4 total characters, we've been rolling a D6 at midnight to determine whether to place a doom token. An even-numbered roll means doom token. It does add luck, but the tension is cool and for us that one little change has made the game much closer.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, additional time pressure really helps this game. Personally I try to avoid adding more dice rolls, but I must admit that 1 doom token at midnight, period, can be pretty overwhelming sometimes! Especially with the extra time stuff takes now. Still, I quite like it this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
When my son and I play with 4 total characters, we've been rolling a D6 at midnight to determine whether to place a doom token. An even-numbered roll means doom token. It does add luck, but the tension is cool and for us that one little change has made the game much closer.

You could do that with a green die that comes with the game - add a doom token if you roll an investigation result. The same probability, but no need to add extra components.

Not that extra components are necessarily a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyle wrote:
Rob in Richmond wrote:

You could do that with a green die that comes with the game - add a doom token if you roll an investigation result. The same probability, but no need to add extra components.

Not that extra components are necessarily a problem

I thought about that, but I like to use another die that I get to use much.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the extra time pressure, we stopped using the mandatory doom token and draw two mythos card per midnight instead. Works out very nicely and feels more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.