B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Has been recommended to me as an excellent dice game. For its length and weight, I might not be able to find an opponent if I buy it. Do you think it is still worth it for the solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
basm22 wrote:
Has been recommended to me as an excellent dice game. For its length and weight, I might not be able to find an opponent if I buy it. Do you think it is still worth it for the solo game?

Never thought to do it solo. Might work since the game plays against you with the events. Without the other players choosing dice and screwing up your plans, it just becomes one giant puzzle given the setup you are dealt.

But you would still probably need to modify some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the best of my knowledge there is no solo version.
If there is I am pretty sure it won't be worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are official solo rules from the designers that were added to the files section not too long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks... I hear you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
There are official solo rules from the designers that were added to the files section not too long ago.

Indeed. I reserve judgement about their worth until I've tried them. Considering how awesome the rules are for multiple players, the solo version might just work really fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
boardgamearena.com allows you to play for free online. There are plenty of people there who play.

Also, do check out the solo rules. You put a frowny face in your last post, but it seems to me the consensus is this game is an excellent candidate for solo play. I've read the solo rules and as a result, though I'd never be able to find a live opponent IRL (thank goodness for online play) I've actually thought about buying the game just for solo fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Troyes. I downloaded the solo play rules. I've played about 10 games.

Verdict = Great!

I understand solo isn't for everyone, but I honestly believe that this solo variant is executed quite well. I bought it because of the "cult of the new" mindset. It didn't leave the box for a month as I couldn't find time for both my wife and I to play it so I played a few games on BGA. This helped me to learn how to play the game as the rules are not easily interpreted from page to play. Soon after I looked into solo play and went off a forum post with an attempted translation. Since then, the rules are posted in a nice "printable" format in the files section. I would download them and take a look. Personally, I say go for it. Beautiful board and fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bewl Bewl
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This works really well solo. It is also quite hard to beat which is good for replayability. It is also just a beautiful game, components, mechanics everything and so well worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks dudes. Just printed and laminated the solo rules. Gonna give it a go when I get home.

The eyes of the guys in my game group glazed over during our first play of this, so I doubt it'll see much playtime in the near future. I really liked it however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.