United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had somebody give me grief the other day about actually buying some blu rays. They're argument was that physical media was dead and streaming everything from "the cloud" (a term I hate, btw) is the way things are done now. He didn't really grasp why I would have a problem with "the cloud" or why I would want physical media anymore.

My first problem is data caps. More and more providers are capping the amount of data you can stream before they start charging extra fees for all those zeroes and ones. Why do I want to stream everything just to get charged even more by my ISP/cell carrier? I like the idea of streaming, but until data caps become a things of the past I'll have a hard time making a switch to primarily streaming my media.

My second problem is the Lucas factor. I just bought the Star Wars blu ray set despite knowing that Mr. Lucas had been tinkering with the movies again for no particular reason. I still have my DVD copies of the original versions so I can watch them anytime I want despite Mr. Lucas' wishes to burn the original versions from the collective minds of the world. In a purely streaming world I wouldn't have that option anymore. Or, what if for whatever reason an album or movie is pulled entirely? If all you ever do is stream and there's some sort of legal battle for rights over your favorite album you're out of of luck.

I'll be sticking with my disks for now. Get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The trend for everything to be "Cloud Based" is the dumbest thing I've heard.

Internet goes down? Can't access your stuff
Incompatible browser due to browser update? Can't access your stuff
Service goes out of business? Lose your stuff
Their servers crash? Lose your stuff
Hackers attack their servers? They sell your stuff
Terms of use change on service? They sell your stuff

(Where applicable)
Don't pay for their service? Deleted your stuff (or) Ransom your stuff

Keeping your stuff on local physical media? Don't need to worry about ANY of that, especially with backups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with you on all these points. I still don't like Blu-Ray though. My DVDs are just fine, thank you. Now you get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
blah

My second problem is the Lucas factor. I just bought the Star Wars blu ray set despite knowing that Mr. Lucas had been tinkering with the movies again for no particular reason. blah

*ahem*

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7367818#7367818

I told you so
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7367975#7367975

*deep breath*

haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha
haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha
haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha
haha

ps

"welcome back"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Van rage and nonsense
I said I would probably buy the damned things anyway. The extras are awesome and most of the changes don't really bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
It never fails that what I want to see is not currently streaming.
I like a lot of the old monster movies. I had a bunch in the que and one day they were gone. I emailed and asked about it. they said, "We only have the license for a limited time. I am sure we will have them again soon"

Grrrrrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.