Popular Tags: Save [+] [View All]
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I've got Kickstarter in less than a month and several video projects to get done. Running out of time.

If I do all of the filming and planning, could anyone here edit for me? Fade ins, fade outs, adding text, etc?

I have Movie Maker on my PC but zero experience with this sort of thing. I could stay up very late every night for the next month and probably learn how to do a decent job, but I have a million other things going on.

If anyone is interested, please GM me. I can offer a credit in my Rulebook, free game, MAYBE some money, depending on how KS goes.

The project is to do one 5-10 minute video to introduce me and the game, and maybe 8 much shorter videos to go over each phase of the rules. I plan to start filming in less than 2 weeks, project will have 2 weeks to get edited and ready to post.

If I end up having more time and/or actually learning how to do this myself, maybe you could just be a helper or consultant, etc. Or maybe your software can contribute something that mine does not have, etc.

Thanks!

Steve
EPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot promise anything too elaborate, as my time is also limited, but I would be interested in helping you out.

It would be great to get an outline of the presentation as early as possible.

I PM'ed you a sample of the stuff I do where I work. This is one of the projects that I have going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be glad to help you out if I wasn't in a crazy rush with deadlines here.

Regardless what software you will be using, bear in mind that one of the most important things of your video is the 'storytelling'.
What will enormously help you get things right is, beforehand, recording yourself a rough voice over of your presentation. Add it to your editing software, then make a pre cut with still images of whatever you want to show.
Once you're happy with the result then you can jump to finishing it, using high res images, color treatment, audio mix etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
5 to 10 minutes is *very long*.

You want your main KS video (the one that displays at the top of your page) to be shorter than that. Creating tutorial vids that're long is fine, assuming the game is that complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, Chris has a great point. Shoot to make the video probably around 1 to 1.5 minutes, tops.

And make sure you get right to showing some quick gameplay and plenty of the bits! Too many of these KS videos have this long, uninteresting spiel in the beginning where the designer goes on and on about what his inspirations, dreams, and favorite ice cream flavors are. It's not an online datign profile, it's a finding pitch! Unless you have something REALLY entertaining or you're a GREAT speaker, skip the build up and lead in and jump right to the meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McDaid
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I guess I'm of the confusing, opposite, oppinion. The video should be long enough to get all the important information in and starting with an intro from the designer can't hurt, but you have to keep the subject focused, talk about the game and the project only.

I am a video editor by trade and would want to use green screen and interview type setups as well as animations, but I can tell you that's going to take a long time for you to learn on your own. So keeping that in mind you're going to want to keep things simple.

Firstly, don't make the mistake of standing in front of a blank wall to do any stand-up type stuff. Filling the frame is really important for keeping people's attention. It's why in a news report, when the repoter talks to the camera, there's usually a burning building or a rolled over car in the background, that's more interesting overall to look at than say, a brick wall. So find a good location: at a game store with the store in the back ground, against a shelf filled with games, in a living room with other playing the game at a table etc.

Scondly is cutaway's. Unless you're watching a lecture, people tend to get bored watching someone standing there talking, and even now lecturers use a lot of graphics to get thier points across. So you should have a lot of graphics as well: game artwork, box shots, set up shots etc. Basically anything you'd find on a game's BBG page for pictures you want available, in video form if you can, for your video. When explaning the game, don't have a picture of your hand fidgetting with a piece you can't quite get to line up while you pause for 10 seconds. When stuff like that happens it's best to use a cut away: do the action again, but change the camera angle and get a closer shot, then just cut to that while your voice continues on. This will keep the flow going and show off more of the game.

Basically when it comes to video and length, it's not the length that bores people, it's the pace. So keep things flowing. Instead of saying something like 'After this player rolls a two, he will then have to compare this chart...find out which part of the wing get shot off then, he will roll on the damage table...find out what other damage the ship sustains' and instead say something more like 'combat gets resolved using dice and charts, in this case resulting in a wing being blown off.'

Anyway, just some things to think about when writing and shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Plenty of experience, if you need a hand with advice I'm happy to help. Windows Movie Maker is very intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - give me a couple days to figure out where I'm going with this and I'll be back.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Jice wrote:
A POST CONTAINING BRILLIANT ADVICE

Yes that is brilliant advice from Jice there. GG for you man - very useful tips and genuine useful points

You are a king Sir. How is Windfall going? (start a new thread so as not to derail ^^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - Another thought I had...

College semesters are back in session - you should consider contacting the communication departments of schools (or maybe even high schools) near you to see if any students would want to work with you as part of project.

When I was doing TV braodcasting for my comm major (at this point almost 15 years ago...), there were a LOT of students in my video production classes who were clueless about what to do for projects.

Try getting in contact with a professor or two. You'd have access to free help, better equipment than you'd likely ever get on your own, and a fresh perspective on shooting/editing technique. Hell, you might even walk away with a few sales! Plus the kids get to work on a commercial level project for credit or resume builders. It's a total win-win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.