Hide
8 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combined fire » how many units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
Concerning combined fire, when i declare a combined fire, i can declare as many other units (that can fire, of course) as i want?
That is, if my whole army can fire at 1 unit, with 1 single action i can activate the whole army (independently of it being stupid or not).

Or do i have to declare a maximum of x units, being x the number of activations i still have for my turn.
That is, if i have 3 actions for that turn (most scenarios, it seems), but i spent already 1 action, i am left with a maximum of 2 unit activations for the next action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Nikolaidis
Greece
Patra
Patra
flag msg tools
badge
You may use combined fire with any, even all, of your units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It only costs 1 action for a combined fire, so, yes, if you really wanted you could combine your entire army at one enemy unit in the same action as long as the unit(s) are allowed to support the fire action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a game recently from the FOTB expansion where my enemy used combined fire twice at two different targets and used all his units except a mortar on those two actions. He did some damage, but by rolling a massive number of ones he failed to take them out completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rules should be reviewed. Only adjacent units should be use the combined fire (distance, lack radios, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are only allowed to combine fire on assaults when adjacent. Even fatigued units can add 1/2 their firepower in this instance. I recently taught the game to a seasoned wargame friend of mine who was convinced this was a broken mechanic and one that over time, would win him the game.

So every turn, he put practically his entire army on a combined fire order and killed a couple of my units as I outmaneuvered him and destroyed his now completely fatigued army.Of course he was wrong, and lost the game horribly.

Combined fire is useful and situational, but should never be the sole planned tactic. End game desperate tactics aside, its better to play a balanced tactical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Bastien
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloAugusto wrote:

That is, if i have 3 actions for that turn (most scenarios, it seems), but i spent already 1 action, i am left with a maximum of 2 unit activations for the next action.

Well, remember that every unit firing is then spent (fatigued). They won't do anything else for the rest of the turn. Also, the range is calculated from the longest used range among the firing units.

Combined fire seems to be powerful, but then, your enemy can manoeuver around as he wish.

(I entirely agree with Craig's example's lesson above.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.