Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I have been slowly going though a massive back log of Dragon Shields I bought when a local store I knew went broke and sold all their stock cheap. Anyway, I am almost at the end of my supply and need to buy more sleeves for the first time in ages.

I REALLY like clear dragon shields, as they are a nice thick strong plastic sleeve and feel great in your hand as well as the thickness allowing for easy shuffling by simply cutting the deck and kinda squeezing the decks together (I think you know what I mean).

Anyway, it seams that the FFG sleeves are a degree cheaper, so I was thinking of switching to them, but I am no sure I wish to as the "feel" of my cards will change.

I was just wondering what you guys think of these to products in comparison... do they basically feel the same in your hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't compare the two but I have the FFG sleeves and I'm very happy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're pretty similar. The FF sleeves feel a bit more "glossy" to me, but this goes away after a few uses. They're probably the best two types of sleeves out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find the FFG sleeves to be excellent, however if you are thinking about going with them I would get them as soon as possible as they tend to sell out very quickly and take ages to get back in stock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the cards in the deck I'm playing I use some specialty, foiled art sleeves I got some time ago. The sleeves have a Balrog which is totally appropriate for this wonderful game. However, for the encounter deck, quest cards, and heroes I have been using some sleeves I found at one of my local FLGSs. They are made by E Design 21 (edisign21.com). I get 60 clear, standard sized sleeves for $1.95. They are plenty thick, fit very well and don't fall apart with repeated use. It's such a great price I have been able to sleeve the cards in many of my games without breaking my tiny, tiny bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
can not believe anyone didn't say that the sleeves are different sizes... there is a good 3 or 4mm longer than dragon shields. I'm spending a age cutting the tops off all the sleeves so they fit in my binders.

Also Dragon Shields are thicker plastic, and have a stronger weld on the edges. The FFG sleeves are good but are not nearly as good at "squeezing to packs together" I am 100% sure that after lots of use the sleeves will split along the seam.. while dragon shields do not.

Also they are a tighter fit, FFG shields are to long and also to wide, so you know that motion you do after all the card are aligned to make a nice square, were you kinda tap the deck on the table and squeeze the edge... well the sleeve itself bows, while the cards do not.... really annoying.

IMO, Dragon Shields are the superior product by leaps and bounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
A closer comparison to the Dragon Shield would be the Ultra Pro Deck Protectors (that's if the hologram on the rear doesn't bother you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared M
msg tools
mbmbmb
After reading this thread I've been using the clear Dragon Shields for everything. They really do make shuffling easier and feel great in the hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.