Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

Here is a question/answer that went through LBG communications.

I thought it would benefit everyone to get the insights.

The gist of the question:

Quote:
My concern is that I have bought 14 German soldiers and 14 American soldiers. The Germans add up (basic level) to 37 victory points and the Americans to 47. There are 4 German soldiers with only 2 victory points. Seems like I got a very bad luck of the draw.

Jeff's main answer (there is something else to follow):

Quote:
The 91st Luftlande are designed to be lower VP on average compared to the US Airborne soldiers.

The Luftlande soldier distributions are correct. The 2 VP soldiers let you bring more soldiers in your force for a standard game. The advantage for the Germans is in employing “5 Soldiers Shoot” actions as they will keep being effective longer for the Luftlande than the Airborne Forces.

In fact, the VP distribution difference is right on the nose in terms of original design intent. This IS a problem when someone only has DoD to play with, since it's 4 figures versus 4-- no argument there. But as you grow in the system, you get more chances to put low VP guys to your advantage. Having more men moving, shooting, etc. is worth a lot in most scenarios.

But a key point is that SMG is intended to show some troop quality differences in subtle ways.

The 101st was one of the most intensely trained units to be found anywhere, but almost none of their members had seen any combat. This is reflected. We will see the 82nd Airborne in Causeway, and you'll get to see the difference in troop quality and attributes there.

The 91st was a 'reconstituted' unit, made up of a small number of very seasoned veterans and a lot of draftees, with only moderate training and equipment levels.

Our future German opponents are also a "reconstituted" unit (much of the Wehrmacht is that or worse at this time) but with a higher level of experience, training, and equipment. They will be an interesting opposing force for the 82nd.

As to the troops you have now, here is another portion of Jeff's answer about an asset coming in the near future, when the SMG website goes into a high level of interactivity and you can register and access the men you own. You will be able to 'see' what your privates would look like if they became corporals or sergeants, and there will be mechanics to promote them. But more interesting (to me anyway) than mere promotions is some new play mechanics...

Quote:
You can adjust your Luftlande soldiers by spending promotion points to assign Combat Badges and Medals. That will raise the German VP where you want it to be, selectively hardening some of your Germans into East Front Veterans. Hence your 2VP privates can become 5VP privates with Assault Badges and Campaign ribbons.

We will be posting more details about badges and medals in a few weeks. They will work differently, but both will allow for some added wrinkles in your Action deck that I think are very cool.

There are times when it's GREAT to have some 2VP privates available for purchase. (Do I want a shooter or 4 grenades? Usually an easy choice.) But for other times, it will be nice to have other options for those guys and others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
The 101st was one of the most intensely trained units to be found anywhere, but almost none of their members had seen any combat. This is reflected. We will see the 82nd Airborne in Causeway, and you'll get to see the difference in troop quality and attributes there.

How will they be differentiated? I don't have my game at hand, but don't recall the cards having any unit identification on them. Will this just be a matter of the average 82nd figure being worth more victory points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin - I believe - is talking about the coming release of the Fallschirmjäger (often rendered Fallschirmjager in English) German paratroopers.

The Causeway includes the 82nd Airborne and the first of the Fallschirmjäger Soldiers, plus some other surprises. It is still a couple of months from release. We are just starting the miniatures production process and that takes a bit to spin up from a standing start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, it looks like Jeff missed your question to comment on something else.

They will still be US Para figures. Those with higher skills will cost a bit more VPs. Whether there are any shoulder patches showing on soldier art, I can't say (seems likely for some).

Having the units mixed a bit seems very appropriate for many of the scenarios anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They will still be US Para figures. Those with higher skills will cost a bit more VPs. Whether there are any shoulder patches showing on soldier art, I can't say (seems likely for some).

I was thinking more about stats than figures. Just wondering if the soldiers I'm collecting now would be usable with Causeway (and vice-versa), or if it would throw off the game balance.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, they will certainly be useable.

Many scenarios are centered on "buy your troops" via VPs, and whatever soldiers you have now will fit into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.