Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Reid Jr
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the Keeper with 4 friends (we were all new). I had a grasp on the game due to watching videos but I feel the scenario I chose was actually one that required a lot more knowledge of it before attempting it as a Keeper. I did The Fall of House Lynch 1C. The lack of creatures in this actually made it a rather poor introduction to the game for the players.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good second attempt for next week? My group is already asking to go back to Arkham Horror and I want to give the game one more good run before it gets shelved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad St. Pierre
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If your group is looking to increase tension by having lots of monster running around, try Scenario 2 (the Inner Sanctum). It is much more monster-centric.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only one I really don't recommend is number 5. It is just bizarre and really challenging on the investigators. If you want to make the game more of a monster mash, I recommend Scenario 2. If I recall correctly, the last time I ran Scenario 2 I summoned 5 shuggoths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I generally introduce groups with the Fall of House Lynch 1B due to its climactic endgame.

Generally, Classroom Curses and the Green-Eyed Boy are considered the weaker scenarios (the former due to being a boring multiple solitaire series of die rolls, the latter for its poorly-implemented mechanics and unbalanced objectives), so I'd try the Inner Sanctum or Blood Ties next - which is good, because those two are very combat-heavy.

For the Inner Sanctum, I would advise using the Objective where:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Keeper needs to drive an Investigator insane and convert them with the Cultists.

For Blood Ties, I would advise using the Objective where:
The Keeper needs to collect 3 Samples and the Investigators need to kill the boss Cult Leader.

Personally, I think the latter is your best bet, especially since the resurrecting Zombies have great flavor, but the choice is yours.

Also, how many Investigator players did you have? We've generally found that three Investigator players is best; playing with only two can make the game a bit quiet, and playing with only one is absolutely out of the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look at these. I haven't tried them yet, but some of the changes look to balance the game and strengthen some of the game's weaker scenarios.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/74620/mansions-of-madness-...

I'd also recommend scenario 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Ties has been very popular with all the groups I've introduced. It will also drive home the key differences between MoM and AH to your group: following the clue trail and killing monsters only when it is productive. Inner Sanctum is also good if you pick the objective with the Cthonian; they'll liable to lose from a lack of focus on the clues otherwise, and it naturally leads to a tense climax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
salty53 wrote:
For Blood Ties, I would advise using the Objective where:
The Keeper needs to collect 3 Samples and the Investigators need to kill the boss Cult Leader.

I played this one over the weekend. It was mostly a lot of fun, and I think my group of 4 investigators enjoyed it, though it took us a verry long time. And because of that, the endless zombie combat got tedious--even to me, and I was the keeper! This may have been due, in part, to the amount of time the investigators devoted to slaying and disposing of zombies rather than chasing down clues, but I think it's also an inherently challenging scenario, at least in the configuration I ran it.

One thing that really took us all by surprise--and bummed out even the keeper (again!)--was the event card that revealed...
The keeper adds another sample token to the altar if the "blood relative" player made the deal with the mi-go in event 1. Due to the timing of events in our game, I found it really easy to collect two samples from the investigators once the second mi-go appeared. (The first gave the investigators a spell and departed. The second sticks around and wreaks havoc!) All I had to do was scuttle that thing behind one of two locked doors and bee-line for the altar room. When the fourth even triggered, I added a third sample token to the alter--completing the keeper's victory conditions! It was waaay too abrupt, and left everyone feeling dismayed. (And not in a good "I'm playing a horror game and just got stuck with a really difficult/terrifying problem" kind of way.) So I pulled up BGG on the laptop and swapped out event 4 for the version included in the "fully revised scenarios" PDF. The event itself didn't have much of an impact on play (the investigators did get to eliminate a zombie, though), but more importantly it allowed us all to keep playing. For a couple more turns anyway. ;-)

Sadly, the odds were really stacked against the investigators at that point. (Fire above, zombies below.) They had to concede the game and call it a night, as we'd already gone into "overtime" as it was.

I like this scenario generally, but I'd avoid that objective unless you're also changing how the events work.

The other thought I had was to keep the spirt of the original event 4, but...
instead of automatically adding a sample token to the altar (if the relative honored the bargain), have a second mi-go appear on the blood relative's space, thank him or her for their assistance, and get an automatic use of the "take sample" action. This way the investigators are "punished" for collaborating with the aliens, but still have a shot at reversing their mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.