El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background
On a cold New York night we have chosen to embark on a friendly game of Civilization, including the Fame and Fortune expansion. Attending were Jan, playing Germany; Andreas, playing Russia; and myself, playing Spain. The game has started with a negative note, as I have chosen to take a “mulligan” on my units (I started with a 1-1-1) which lead to unhappy protests from the other two players (I admit that this was a cowardly move that will not be repeated in the future).

This is my first session report, and despite my best efforts my note taking was far from perfect: some battle casualties are missing, as are acquisitions of huts and some villages and utilization of the Democracy special ability.

Henceforth, my own private plans and opinion will be given in italics.

Turn 1
Russia has been chosen as the starting player.

City Management
Russia 1: Scout.
Spain 1: Scout.
Germany 1: Flag.

Movement
Russia reveals Seven Cities of Gold. Spain reveals three tiles, electing to build two Workshops and a Barracks in Spain 1. Germany reveals Atlantis.

I decided to utilize the three free builds to gear my capitol towards a strong hammer opening, giving me leeway in picking a second city and in getting my Metropolis (since a Metropolis will cover a forest). Furthermore, I was hoping to utilize Spain’s three scouts and cycle through the wonders, claiming some of the later game ones. I neglected that plan later, though.

Research
Russia researches Agriculture. Spain researches Horseback Riding. Germany researches Animal Husbandry.

Spain’s starting Navigation with the addition of Horseback Riding should fulfill my movement needs for the rest of the game, plus it allows me to claim a fourth revealed tile off Germany.

Turn 2
Germany founds a new city, Germany 2.

City Management
Spain 1: Flag.
Germany 2: Harvest Grain. Germany 1: Scout (use Grain).
Russia 1: Artillery.

A quick count shows that Germany cannot claim the Hanging Gardens.

Movement
Spain reveals a tile, electing to build a Harbor in Spain 1.

Research
Russia researches Animal Husbandry. Spain researches Agriculture. Germany researches Pottery.

Spain’s Metropolis allows me to claim the coin off the starting tile plus get some more trade. Between that, the Harbor and the second city, I will get a Level 2 Tech next turn.

Turn 3
Spain founds a new city, Spain 2.

I follow the known formula, hammer capitol means I should get a trade city. Spain 2 is surrounded by deserts, one of them with Incense.

City Management
Germany 1: Flag. Germany 2: Granary.
Russia 1: Mounted.
Spain 1: Scout. Spain 2: Infantry.

Movement
Russia picks up Seven Cities of Gold.

Research
Russia researches Horseback Riding. Spain researches Democracy. Germany researches Agriculture.

I am going for an economic victory. Democracy supplies me with trade, gold coins and stronger units, a perfect mix. Furthermore, my third city options were still blocked by huts and/or villages.

Turn 4
Russia uses Seven Cities of Gold and invests twice in Infrastructure. Spain revolts, changing its government to Democracy. Russia gives Germany two trade in exchange for a hut.

I believe this is a weak move on Russia’s end, even if the hut is a spy. The reasoning Germany supplied is that I have the strongest position, and therefore they need to trade against me. Further, there is no point in neither of them getting a Level 2 tech. The conclusion Germany provided was that Germany will get a Level 2 tech this turn while Russia gets a hut.

Personally, I don’t think the hut is worth giving Germany a Level 2 tech a turn earlier- this translates into either a) a military unit and a resource, b) Sailing and Atlantis, or c) Irrigation. Finally, it’s a step up the tech race for Germany.

City Management
Russia 1: Hanging Gardens.
Spain 1: Infantry. Spain 2:Flag.
Germany 1: Barracks. Germany 2: Barracks.

Movement
Germany forms a stack of two flags, effectively chasing Spain away from acquiring a hut in German territory.

Research
Spain researches Code of Laws. Germany researches Sailing.

As soon as Germany reveals Sailing, I realize I’m in serious trouble; with Atlantis, Germany will be able to get two military techs in a row. The added movement means Spain 2 is just around the corner. Furthermore, Germany was surrounded by a large ocean, meaning there will be no place for retaliation from neither me nor Russia.

Turn 5
Russia founds a new city, Russia 2. Russia builds a Flag using the Hanging Gardens.

Yes, it took Russia four turns to get their second city…

City Management
Spain 1: Harbor. Spain 2: Mounted.
Germany 1: Flag. Germany 2: Flag.
Russia 1: Scout. Russia 2: Mounted.

Movement
Spain conquers two villages, losing an infantry card in each, gets a gold on Code of Laws. Germany picks up Atlantis.

This move was a serious mistake. I thought I can get two gold coins off Code of Laws and therefore conquered both villages. Poor unit placement on the first battle cost me my Infantry 4, and then I persisted and lost another unit, opening myself up to Germany completely. Only after the turn’s end did Germany point out that Code of Laws can be activated up to once per turn.

Research
Russia researches Irrigation. Spain researches Chivalry. Germany researches Democracy (receives an Infantry and an Incense).

I’m looking to bolster my forces a bit, gain another coin off Feudalism, and get access to some culture.

Turn 6
Russia founds a new city, Russia 3. Russia builds a Scout using the Hanging Gardens. Germany uses Atlantis to research Metallurgy (receives an Artillery and an Incense). Spain gives Russia a village in exchange for three Trade. Spain revolts, changing its government to Feudalism.

I traded Russia a spy, with a meek request for him to use it in order to stop Germany’s forces for one turn (allowing me to get Great Wall and fortify Spain 2). Germany gets Metallurgy, netting another unit, more Incense, and a powerful route for utilizing that Incense.

City Management
Germany converts Incense to 7 Culture, spends 6 Culture on advancing the Culture track. Germany 1: Infantry. Germany 2: Flag.
Russia 1: Infantry. Russia 2: Infantry. Russia 3: Flag.
Spain converts Incense to 5 Culture, spends 3 Culture on advancing the Culture track. Spain 1: Great Wall. Spain 2: Devote to arts (acquire two Culture). Spain spends 3 Culture on advancing the Culture track.

I hope Great Wall will ease the blow of losing my figures. Further, if Russia slows down Germany for this turn, I will be able to get City Walls, which together with a fortification should be enough to defend Spain 2.

Movement
Germany kills one of Spain’s flags. Russia uses Communism to stop Germany’s two flags from attacking Spain 2. Spain sacrifices a flag to install fortifications in Spain 2.

Research
Russia researches Chivalry. Spain researches Irrigation. Germany researches Mathematics (receives an Artillery and Incense).

By now I have a high-hammer position for Spain 3 and I hope to use the third action to rebuild my ruined forces. Germany utilizes his special ability to the fullest, netting another unit, more Incense, and a strong channel for Iron.

Turn 7
Russia builds a Flag using the Hanging Gardens. Spain founds a new city, Spain 3. Spain builds City Walls in Spain 2 using the Great Wall. Spain invests in Military-Industrial Complex. Spain plays Exchange of Ideas on Russia; Spain acquires Animal Husbandry, Russia acquires Code of Laws. Germany plays Counterfeiters on Spain’s coin and Drought on Spain’s starting Incense.

City Management
Russia 1: Infantry. Russia 2: Infantry. Russia 3: Flag.
Spain converts Incense to five Culture, advances twice on Culture track, acquires a Great General. Spain 1: Infantry. Spain 2: Mounted. Spain 3: Incense.
Germany Converts Incense to seven Culture, advances twice on Culture track, acquires a Great General. Germany 1: Scout. Germany 2: Grain.

Movement
Russia steals Democracy off Spain, kills Spain’s scout. Germany attempts to move two flags towards Russia’s lone flag, Russia uses Communism to stop them. Germany conquers a village (Great Artist/Thinker).

Research
Russia researches Steam Power. Spain researches Military Science. Germany researches Code of Laws.

Turn 8
Russia builds a flag using the Hanging Gardens. Spain invests in Military-Industrial Complex. Germany invests in Public Education. Spain uses A Gift from Afar to get Silk for Horseback Riding; gives Russia a gold coin and six trade, Russia trades back two trade.

I want to aid Russia’ research while securing trade for the construction of Academies. In retrospect, Military-Industrial Complex was overkill. By now my cities were safe, I should have focused on securing a win condition.

City Management
Spain converts Incense to five Culture, advances once on Culture track. Spain 1: Flag. Spain 2: Academy (uses A Gift from Afar to get Grain for Animal Husbandry; gives Germany a gold coin). Spain 3: Academy.
Germany converts Incense to seven Culture, reveals Shakespeare, advances once on Culture track (skipping Spain). Advances again on Culture track, receives Great Person. Germany 1: Trading Post. Germany 2: Grain. Spend two Grain to gain a gold coin with Pottery.
Russia 1: Artillery. Russia 2: Silk. Russia 3: Flag.

Movement
Germany tries to attack Russia’s lone flag again, Russia uses Communism to stop their movement. Germany then moves a single flag to attack Russia 2, revealing Leonidas; Germany loses Infantry, Russia loses 2x Infantry, Russia 2 is destroyed. Germany copies Chivalry (receives a Mounted and Incense).
Russia steals Military Science off Spain, kills Spain’s scout. Blocks Spain’s Great General, picks up village.
Spain attacks one of Germany’s flags; Spain loses Infantry and Mounted, Germany loses Infantry. Spain steals three Culture off Germany.

A dramatic turn, revealing Leonidas gives Germany a crucial boost to overpowering Russia’s city. Chivalry is a great choice, strengthening Germany’s position even further. Despite winning the battle and killing Germany’s flag, I think my lost units do not justify the means.

Research
Russia researches Mathematics. Spain researches Engineering. Germany reveals Zheng He, researches Ecology.

Once again, I get Engineering for the purpose of helping me build forces, which I lose faster than I imagined possible…

Turn 9
Russia invests in Public Education. Russia builds flags using the Hanging Gardens. Spain invests in Military-Industrial Complex. Germany invests in Public Education; uses Ecology to change mountain near Germany 1 into desert; Germany revolts, changing its government to Feudalism.

At this stage it’s obvious Germany wins via tech in two turns unless we somehow manage to slow him down.

City Management
Germany 1: Colossus. Germany 2: Wheat.
Russia teleports three flags next to Germany 1 using Steam Engine. Russia 1: Mounted. Russia 2: Mounted.
Spain advances two spaces on Culture track. Play Disoriented to move Russia’s two flags from its Great General. Spain 1: Flag+Infantry. Spain 2: Incense. Spain 3: Mounted.

Movement
Spain plays Khalid ibn Al-Walid and is now starting player.

My hope was to snatch the starting player and use my high bonus to kill as many flags as possible.

Loses flag to two of Germany’s flags, kills Russia’s flag; steals village off Russia, Code of Laws gains a coin.

In retrospect, I should have attacked Germany’s lone flag; I was getting greedy and counted on my bonus too much. Germany’s reasonable bonus, in addition to their better tech and my lack of units, was enough to defeat me.

Germany turns both of its scouts to caravans. Attacks Russia 3 with two flags; Germany loses Mounted, Artillery and Infantry, Russia loses two Mounted, Artillery and Infantry; Russia 3 is destroyed, Germany copies Metalworking.
Russia conquers village; loses Mounted, Code of Laws gains a coin.

Our positioning forced Germany to sacrifice its scouts.

Research
Spain reveals Archimedes and researches Writing. Germany researches Atomic Theory.

The purpose of Writing was to stop Germany from building a unit, giving Russia a better chance at destroying Germany 2.

Turn 10
Russia founds a city, Russia 4. Russia builds a flag using the Hanging Gardens. Spain invests in Military Complex, tries to Sabotage one of Germany’s Academies (Germany plays Bread and Circuses). Germany invests in Public Education.

City Management
Germany advances one on Culture track. Spain uses Writing to shut down Germany 1:. Germany 2: Silk.
Russia 1: Devote to arts. Russia 2: Devote to arts. Russia advances once on Culture track.
Spain 2: Incense. Spain turns Incense to five Culture, advances twice on Culture track. Spain 1: Mounted. Spain 3: Brandenburg Gate.

At this stage it was obvious that the end is nigh. Getting the Gate was mostly for my own personal amusement…

Movement
Germany nukes Spain 3. Russia steals Metallurgy off Germany, block Germany’s Great General.

We’ve done the math and saw that we cannot get any loot off Germany. Therefore, Germany will research a Level 4 technology, and then invest in Public Education to win immediately at the beginning of next turn.

Germany is victorious!!

Personal observations and opinions
I have done a plethora of mistakes this game; here are some of the more obvious ones:

d10-1My second city placement lacked focus. I did not really need five deserts; a city with three deserts and higher production would have been more suitable. I could have build Trading Posts for long term trade gain.

d10-2I should not have insisted on getting two villages on a single turn, especially when I saw Germany’s troops marching on the horizon. Furthermore, losing my Infantry 4 to barbarians put me in an extremely unfavorable position.

d10-3I switched to Feudalism too early. The two trade off Democracy would have been better until the coin was more useful. This is further obvious once one considers I covered almost all of Spain 1’s resources with buildings.

d10-4I panicked and overinvested in military. The Great Wall, fortifications, three academies, Great General AND investment in Military-Industrial Complex were overkill. My bonus was not enough to guarantee a military victory, and showering all of my resources on an unlikely victory condition pulled my attention from actually winning the game.

To summarize, I lost focus and forgot about my original strategy (which was to focus on production). Higher production would have allowed me to build a solid military foundation on which to advance towards any one of the four victory conditions. Lacking that foundation, I succumbed to Germany’s initial onslaught and overcompensated, leaving me as a minor player while Germany and Russia struggled for victory.

Some other notes. First, Germany has done a splendid job exploiting his special ability. Getting four military techs amounted to eight city actions, meaning his lack of Irrigation was not felt. In general, Germany’s actions have been extremely efficient. I would have to admit Russia displayed the opposite trend: a late second city and overinvestment on military units left him with no infrastructure on which to base a mid to late game strategy.

Finally, my opinion of the expansion. Our group loves Fame and Fortune, I doubt we will be playing without it. The investments mechanic is an excellent addition, allowing players to further tailor their civilization and balancing the four win conditions. The great people deck is a cool twist that requires players to adapt to their draws. The new civilizations are fun and interesting (the Civilization community is still far from understanding them, in my opinion). I would say, however, that I dislike the relics; they feel like a clunky addition thrown in to justify more mechanics.

(By the way, despite complaints over Leonidas, I did not feel he was overly powerful. Even without Leonidas Germany had a powerful military, Leonidas was just the icing that allowed Germany to harass Russia’s monstrous 10-13 units further)

And with that note I will finish this report. I hope we’ll be playing again in the next couple of weeks and that I will be able to implement some of the lessons learned from this session. Thank you for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Przybylski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, thank you!
Did you take notes during the game or write down everything after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great detail! Sounds like it was a fun game. 2 things I noticed: You linked Navigation and Atlantis in the description but Nav won't let you get Atlantis (Sailing was taken so Germany played it correctly). Second you mentioned Germany used Ecology to convert a mountain... it can't convert mountains (hey maybe that was the trade point you needed to stop him ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elprzybyllo wrote:
Did you take notes during the game or write down everything after?

I used a netbook to take notes during the game. I had a large table set up with a column for each civilization, and just tabbed between them during phases. I do not think the note taking delayed the game significantly, and it allowed me to document most of the action faithfully.

dlhammond wrote:
Nav won't let you get Atlantis

Oops! Of course I meant Sailing. I keep confusing the two o_O I hope that's the only confused reference to these technologies. I edited the original post to correct this.

dlhammond wrote:
it can't convert mountains (hey maybe that was the trade point you needed to stop him

Eek! In fact, he only got one trade out of this (on that City Management phase he covered the tile with a Great Person). That's an important point to remember in the future though, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, thanks for that.

I love Civ and I even love the expansion more. Just dont get to play it as often as I would like.

Did you use the standard 3player-map-setup?
And: I would be interested in the file you did do take down notes. Could you send it to me or upload it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the variant where each player starts surrounded by three tiles.

Send me an email at el.ad.david.amir@gmail.com and I'll send you the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.