Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about the complaints people have about the dominance of fire in the game, and looking at Band of Brothers (which is cutting edge) for possible solutions. I know a lot of people suggest that the problem is that firepower is too deadly, but I actually think the problem is more that the effects of firepower are too persistent. So my suggestion would be to have morale hits naturally go away over time. At the end of every turn, every unit can remove one morale hit for free. Pins continue to require prepare actions, wounds continue to need bandages (or rally cards), but by allowing soldiers to easily recover from morale, it means that sections are more mobile and that soldiers are more unlikely to go straight into the dead pile due to hit accumulations. I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm going to try to give this a go this weekend and see what the difference in feel is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...but I actually think the problem is more that the effects of firepower are too persistent.

I completely agree. Pinned units get caught in a fire/recovery loop until dead.

Quote:
So my suggestion would be to have morale hits naturally go away over time. At the end of every turn, every unit can remove one morale hit for free. Pins continue to require prepare actions, wounds continue to need bandages (or rally cards), but by allowing soldiers to easily recover from morale, it means that sections are more mobile and that soldiers are more unlikely to go straight into the dead pile due to hit accumulations. I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm going to try to give this a go this weekend and see what the difference in feel is.

That's an interesting solution. I'll subscribe to this thread to see how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hm, that's an interesting idea!

I have seen the same problem occur at several occasions: once a section is well hit it tends to attract more enemy fire while it will use its actions to prepare...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree here. The moral hits are a problem once they start to build up. The only way to get rid of them without a medic is to use a Rally card which are infrequent (2 out of 50). Once a section starts taking hits they tend to need to use their prepare actions to remove pin counters rather than draw cards which can lead to a never ending loop of destruction. Maybe a Prepare action could also remove a moral hit in addition to the other effect you choose for the Prepare action. This would be less frequent than every turn which I think is too powerful. Keep in mind that in most cases moral hits are really the only way that a section can damage another section at medium or longer range without expending ammo. If you allow a moral hit to go away every turn that would take away the effectiveness of a significant portion of the game. The only way to really hurt a section would then be to get in close and/or expend ammo. That would make the game very predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
I've been thinking about the complaints people have about the dominance of fire in the game, and looking at Band of Brothers (which is cutting edge) for possible solutions. I know a lot of people suggest that the problem is that firepower is too deadly, but I actually think the problem is more that the effects of firepower are too persistent. So my suggestion would be to have morale hits naturally go away over time. At the end of every turn, every unit can remove one morale hit for free. Pins continue to require prepare actions, wounds continue to need bandages (or rally cards), but by allowing soldiers to easily recover from morale, it means that sections are more mobile and that soldiers are more unlikely to go straight into the dead pile due to hit accumulations. I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm going to try to give this a go this weekend and see what the difference in feel is.

Sean, did you manage to play a game with this new home rule? How did it play out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:
seanmac wrote:

Sean, did you manage to play a game with this new home rule? How did it play out?

Haven't tried it out yet. It's on the list of things to do, but not near the top of it. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
I have been trialling some home rules to see if I can tackle this problem, with generally reasonable results. Have a go at the following and see what you think:

a) the nature of the terrain limits the number of damage chits that can be allocated to individual soldiers ie. maximum of one chit draw per man in heavy cover, two for those in medium and three for those in light. Any excess firepower is wasted once that limit has been reached. Without being too ahistorical, this has allowed for the odd stubborn defence by an outgunned group, something which I've found to be near impossible with the regular rules.

b) terrain limits line of sight. Players cannot see beyond heavy cover terrain cards (although they can see enemy cards that occupy them). Players can see one space beyond medium cover terrain, while light cover terrain does not block line of sight at all. Units that are 'out of sight' cannot be targeted for attack. I have found this rule does permit more manoeuvring by both sides before the guns open up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,
I'll give your house rules a spin. Looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.