SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this rubber string and I need to tie my camcorder down and so I need a good sort of knot that's fixed but quick release. I want to be able to pop the cam onto the velcro, then use the string to hold it down firmly. Currently the string goes under the board and then over the cam, where I tie a simple double knot. But this is fiddly and likely to end up with a solid knot I cannot untie later (not a disaster, it is stretchy).

I want the string to go under the board, and be permanently tied, so that I just need to pull on a bit and it tightens up.

EDIT: And then at my destination, I want to tug on it to loosen the hold and pop the cam off the velcro. I did not make this clear initially.

Some kind of hitch, I'm thinking. The string might be long enough to form a loop on one side with the two ends on the other.

Please tell me which knot to tie.

Or I could try to make a strap with the remaining velcro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Bowline!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that certainly is a nice tight knot. Now, how does it slip open easily?

Sorry, I've edited the OP. I need a quick loosener, without having to completely untie the string, or re-tie it next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Consider getting these: http://store.locklaces.com/purchase.html

Elastic laces with a locking clamp. Quick to tighten and release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you need a simple slipknot. Tie each end of the cord under the board, and fix your camera. Then make a loop in the cord and pass another section of the cord through the loop, much like tying your shoes. One end of that new loop will tighten the overall lop holding the camera and the other will tighten the knot. To release, all you need to do is pull in the cord, outside the knot, on the same side as the loop tightened the knot.

It's hard to describe, let me know what parts are unclear, and I'll try to re-phrase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
A bowline does not slip out very easily. But otherwise it is the best way to make a loop on the end of a rope, string, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I thought bowlines were pretty easy to get undone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to push the rope backwards through the hoop to undo a bowline. Stiffer and slipperier ropes can be fairly easy to undo in this way. Most ropes are a bit of a pain. A rubber string...probably a big pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tie one end into a bowline, and permanently tie the other end to a button, or a peg, or a similar small object. You want the length of the string between the bowline and the button to be shorter than the distance around the camera, so it must be stretched to reach.

Stretch the string around the camera, and slip the button through the bowline loop. It will be easy to remove but it won't come out by itself due to the tension on the string.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Consider getting these: http://store.locklaces.com/purchase.html

Elastic laces with a locking clamp. Quick to tighten and release.

That's a thought but way bigger than I need. I'm trying to hold down something the size of a car key fob onto a board slightly wider than the fob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:
I would tie one end into a bowline, and permanently tie the other end to a button, or a peg, or a similar small object. You want the length of the string between the bowline and the button to be shorter than the distance around the camera, so it must be stretched to reach.

Stretch the string around the camera, and slip the button through the bowline loop. It will be easy to remove but it won't come out by itself due to the tension on the string.

That's a good idea. I may not even need a loop, I can simply run the loop under the board and back over the cam, and have the working ends go through the button and knot them there. That way, I have the tension set when i tie the knot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
Sounds like you need a simple slipknot. Tie each end of the cord under the board, and fix your camera. Then make a loop in the cord and pass another section of the cord through the loop, much like tying your shoes. One end of that new loop will tighten the overall lop holding the camera and the other will tighten the knot. To release, all you need to do is pull in the cord, outside the knot, on the same side as the loop tightened the knot.

It's hard to describe, let me know what parts are unclear, and I'll try to re-phrase.

Yes, a slip knot. But you totally lost me. I'm not a salty jack tar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
abrannan wrote:

Yes, a slip knot. But you totally lost me. I'm not a salty jack tar.

Like this, but with both ends attached to your board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see! That easy!

I get it. the open ends go into or under the board and are fixed (knotted), so effectively I have the cord looping over the board. I then throw one loop, then pass another through it, then tighten the first loop as the slip knot, then draw the second up to pull the slip knot down and make the cord tight onto the cam.

Yo Ho Ho! Heave away, me hearties!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.