Popular Tags: [View All]
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I crazy, or did the BGG page used to say this supported 2-8 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a multi-player component to the game - the game is best played with two players for the most competitive playing experience. However, for a fun time, and especially to teach new players, or just to experience an added level of command confusion, the game supports up to four players per side in a multi-player game. It is quite fun played that way, I might add, but you don't get the chess-like accuracy from your moves the way you can in a two-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris, all execept the part about chess-like accuracy when I play two player. Not knowing what my opponent has where, I never feel like that. Adding the chaos of not even knowing for sure where the other units on your own side will move sounds terrifying, but incredibly cool and tantalyzingly realistic. I've never been able to try it, but maybe someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I agree with Chris, all execept the part about chess-like accuracy when I play two player. Not knowing what my opponent has where, I never feel like that. Adding the chaos of not even knowing for sure where the other units on your own side will move sounds terrifying, but incredibly cool and tantalyzingly realistic. I've never been able to try it, but maybe someday.

Ah, well - you are perhaps right that I overstated the point. But by "chess-like accuracy" I meant "having control over each minute decision, such as feinting, orders, which units to commit to attacks, etc." In multiplayer, you have that control only over your own assigned corps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Ah, well - you are perhaps right that I overstated the point. But by "chess-like accuracy" I meant "having control over each minute decision, such as feinting, orders, which units to commit to attacks, etc." In multiplayer, you have that control only over your own assigned corps.

I understood what you meant, and you're right as far as it goes, but the first thing that comes to my mind is, when I'm playing chess I know where the other guy's queen is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

It is my favorite way to play. There is nothing like sitting across the board from some friends, where one has a corps all the way into French territory, sitting on an objective at 11am and refusing to move, while the other is getting pasted and pleading for help. All of the inner monologues during gameplay get revealed when you have a team game (we play pretty loose with the talking team rules, as a lot of the people I have played with are not very experienced NTers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

I understood what you meant, and you're right as far as it goes, but the first thing that comes to my mind is, when I'm playing chess I know where the other guy's queen is.

Incidentally, that's all encouraging. My favorite game of all time is still Stratego, and I think the reason I love it so much is that it's one of the only games I've played that has no random elements and hidden, non-trackable information. I hardly ever get to play it because it only supports 2, so I've been on the lookout for games that support more but meet those two criteria.

I think NT might be what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A little off topic. I believe command and control is well accounted for in NT's rules, and multiplayer might over-pronounce it. Still I think it is a fun way to play and always wanted to try it. I want to be the Tsar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
Sphere wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Incidentally, that's all encouraging. My favorite game of all time is still Stratego, and I think the reason I love it so much is that it's one of the only games I've played that has no random elements and hidden, non-trackable information. I hardly ever get to play it because it only supports 2, so I've been on the lookout for games that support more but meet those two criteria.

I think NT might be what I'm looking for.

I love Stratego, and really enjoy 4 player Ultimate Stratego, but whenever I try to design a game that is a better Stratego, I always realize that I would just rather play NT. The only other game I have played to compare with NT in terms of flexible strategy and tactics is Decipher's SWCCG, which is a dead collectible game.

Anyway, if you love Stratego, and have a handful of players that can stomach a more complex game, then get NT. The game is pretty simple once understood - it is the steep learning process that makes it a little more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoshim wrote:
I love Stratego, and really enjoy 4 player Ultimate Stratego, but whenever I try to design a game that is a better Stratego, I always realize that I would just rather play NT.

Ha - I've previously thought that I hope I can find the game I'm looking for, so I don't have to design it myself

Whoshim wrote:
The only other game I have played to compare with NT in terms of flexible strategy and tactics is Decipher's SWCCG, which is a dead collectible game.

That's actually also encouraging - I was just looking at WARS Trading Card Game, another dead CCG by Decipher, in a math trade, and what I've read says that it's basically the Star Wars one minus the theme, with some mechanical improvements. I'd been second-guessing my wants, but maybe I'll leave it.

Whoshim wrote:
Anyway, if you love Stratego, and have a handful of players that can stomach a more complex game, then get NT. The game is pretty simple once understood - it is the steep learning process that makes it a little more complex.

We did OK with StarCraft: The Board Game, so I assume we'd be able to handle all but the most detail-oriented of wargames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone submitted a correction? It should say 2-8. The team rules are great, except that every time I play a team game, I'm the one who blows it for the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote the first review for NT, back before anybody else had received their copy, and the number of players supported for team play was the one thing I screwed up. I had only playtested 2-player games, and wrote that the team game was for 2-4, not 2-8. Bowen emailed me to point that out, and I edited the review to make the correction.

I mention that because I'm virtually certain I looked at the info on the game page back then to make sure it was correct. Even if I didn't, I can't imagine it would not have drawn attention before this. I'm thinking somebody at some point made a 'correction' with the wrong information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Last year, it was listed as '2 players', and I personally submitted the correction on the game (and got a little Geekgold in the process). I have no idea why it was changed back, but the game clearly supports more players in the rulebook, and it's my favorite way to play NT. If someone wants to tilt at the windmill one more time, be my guest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvendancer wrote:
Last year, it was listed as '2 players', and I personally submitted the correction on the game (and got a little Geekgold in the process).

So it's like ping pong. Somebody else is getting paid every time they screw it up. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rarely has a thread wandered so far so quickly, and yet returned to directly and neatly answer the original question. Nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvendancer wrote:
If someone wants to tilt at the windmill one more time, be my guest.

I just submitted the correction again, then; if I do get paid, I will pass it on to VolcanoLotus for pointing out the error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jwoodall wrote:
The attack sequence and the consequences are all that really takes time to digest in NT.

Exactly. Nt doesn't have a whole lot of rules, just one big indigestion-inducing chunk in the middle. It may be comforting to know that once you got it you're 80% through. When I try to teach this game I'd teach the combat rules up front. Everything else goes around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I just submitted the correction again, then; if I do get paid, I will pass it on to VolcanoLotus for pointing out the error.

It was approved; allat least one thing is right in the world again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

It was approved; allat least one thing is right in the world again.

Nice work. I'm tipping you, Jeremy and Art, because I'd like to think the guys who get it fixed should get paid better than the ones who screw it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.