Recommend
57 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Super Dungeon Explore - When games break free from the console rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I originally wrote this review as a guest writer for the the video game website RPGFan.com. Since it was written for a video game audience, many of the comparisons and anecdotes are from the digital side of the games spectrum.

Modern video games owe much of their genesis to board games, and the Role Playing Game genre shares this heritage more than most. The seminal pen-and-paper RPG, Dungeons and Dragons, was first conceived in the early 1970's as a tactical board game that saw players moving small metal miniatures around a dungeon map. As the game evolved, character development and story progression became more important, and the seed
of the RPG as we know it today was planted. At the same time, another revolution was also occurring. The personal computer was becoming a widespread reality, and hobbyist programmers of the time were finding ways to translate the analog game experience they found in board games and RPGs into a digital format. What started as text-based adventures like Colossal Cave and Zork soon evolved into a more graphically-based experience and eventually found their way into the Japanese-built game consoles of the 80s, presented as the JRPGs we know today.

Soda Pop Miniature's recent game Super Dungeon Explore completes the cycle by taking the evolution of the JRPG and molding it back into the board game format it spawned from. This most certainly isn't a step backwards, though; like video games, board games have seen fundamental evolution over the past three decades. Super Dungeon Explore embodies this evolution: it is a unique beast that walks a fine line between board game and hardcore miniature-based war game while throwing out the Western sensibilities so closely tied to the typical board game and miniature genres. Instead, it pays homage to the early console JRPG (Japanese Role Playing Game).

As a tactical based skirmish game, Super Dungeon Explore is not dissimilar from digital counterparts like Final Fantasy Tactics or Advance Wars. Playable by 2-6 players, Super Dungeon Explore has one player controlling the enemy units, fighting against the other players' intrepid chibi anime styled party. Players
fight through waves of monsters and mini bosses, collecting loot and equipping their characters until the game culminates with an epic battle against the final boss. The game's art style, gameplay, and pacing are teeming with nods to JRPG and classic video game culture, and it is blast to bring that digital game experience into the physical, tactile world.

Although Super Dungeon Explore is of American origin, much care was put into the game design and style. Players who are familiar with JRPGs will find many iconic character archetypes here. The Demonkin Rogue, Human Mage, and Elven Ranger would all find themselves at home in the console RPG. My favorite characters in the game, however, don't come in the form of a hero, but are instead found among the enemies, masquerading as sparkling treasure. The vicious dagger-toothed Boo Booty, with its lolling tongue and treasure chest body, is homage to the ubiquitous Mimic found in countless RPGs and can easily catch a looting hero unaware.

While the characters and art style are definitely inspired by the JRPG, Super Dungeon Explore doesn't limit itself to the genre. The game celebrates many video game clichés of the 80's and 90's: from the
aptly named 8 bit, 16 bit, and SUPER portions of the game to the design of the cards that prominently display arcade buttons and controller d-pads. Of course, when attacking monsters, there is always opportunity for a heart or potion to drop out of a creature – an obvious nod to The Legend of Zelda.

Components:

Models – Super Dungeon Explore contains wonderfully detailed models not typically found in your average board game. The plastic models found in the box are the type most commonly seen in miniature based wargames. These games typically sport complicated rules that span multiple tomes and require players to buy miniatures a-la-carte to build a custom army. This army building is a hobby in itself, where players construct and lovingly paint their miniatures.

Super Dungeon Explore is a bit of a hybrid; it is a self-contained game, with everything needed to play supplied in the box. Like its miniatures game brethren, though, it is not a game that you can immediately open and play. While the miniatures sport a
wonderful level of detail, a lot of assembly is required. Putting together Super Dungeon Explore was my first experience with assembling miniatures, and while I really enjoyed the process, there were a few frustrating aspects that might limit the game's appeal to some players.

The game comes packed with over 50 miniatures, and each mini has several parts that must be put together. Some of these parts are tiny: like the stubby tails that belong to the kobold mages. Assembly requires plain old super-glue, so there aren't any special tools needed to build the models, although my X-Acto knife did come in handy several times. All in all, it took me about three hours to assemble my miniatures – with a minimal amount of cursing. While most of the models went together very easily, there were a few that were extremely difficult to assemble and just didn't seem to fit together correctly. These models required me to whittle down their plastic posts before they would easily slide into the proper slots. While this took some extra time, with patience, I prevailed. The only real disappointment I had was with the Starfire Dragon boss figure; as hard as I tried, it did not seem to fit together correctly. Unfortunately, my inexperienced attempts at assembling the dragon proved futile, and I managed to break its fragile tail.

Dice – The custom dice that come with Super Dungeon Explore are colorful and translucent, with fun, playful icons that indicate different attacks and benefits that can occur during combat. Each color of die has a different ratio of stars, potions, and hearts, and dice are used in different combinations depending on the monsters and heroes involved in combat. These icons really help lighten the feel of the game and work to reinforce the JRPG theme. While I liked the look of the dice, there were printing flaws: the dice are etched, but the white
paint that covered the etched portion of my dice is spotty in places, leaving portions of the icons unpainted.

Board – The double-sided boards that make up dungeon tiles in Super Dungeon Explore are of great quality. They are thick and colorful, with dark crystal caverns dappled in vivid primary colors, and dragon lair rooms in fiery reds and yellows. The game board art also contains some video game Easter eggs – most notably the arcade cabinet embedded in the stone landscape like an undiscovered fossil.

Gameplay:

While tactical in nature, Super Dungeon Explore has very streamlined rules. This simplification isn't a detriment to gameplay, though, because it keeps enough complexity to be strategically interesting, and those areas that have been simplified feed seamlessly into the game's JRPG theme.

The biggest simplification is also the most thematically resonant: the concept of the hero characters as a "party." Characters move independently across the dungeon and find themselves in both ranged and melee combat with enemies, but when it comes to using abilities, gaining treasure, or casting spells, the party is treated as a single unit. This means that regardless of the heroes' respective positions on the game board, players can still heal each other, give newly found loot, or even share special powers with other characters. For example,
the Demonkin Rogue has the ability to use a potion to teleport a number of squares away from her current position; she can also use this power on other characters. So, if an ally is about to be dealt a lethal blow by an enemy, the Demonkin Rogue can pop a potion and allow her ally to teleport to safety. Sharing abilities and inventory items enhances the feel of an adventuring party and facilitates cooperation among the various players.

Battle in Super Dungeon Explore is fairly simple as well. The player controlling the enemy creatures, called the Consul (perhaps a tongue-in-cheek pun referring to the video game console), generates monsters from spawn points scattered throughout the dungeon. Like the arcade classic Gauntlet, players must destroy the spawn points to stop the flow of monsters. The heroes and the Consul take turns activating their units, using their special powers, and rolling the appropriate dice to see if an attack was successful or blocked. Different creatures, equipment, and abilities give the players a different distribution of colored dice, skewing the odds in one direction or another and changing the chance that a potion or life-saving heart will drop from the creature.

Like any good dungeon crawl, when monsters are defeated there is loot to be had. The more damage the players do to the Consul's minions during a given round, the more loot that will drop. Like many RPGs, players have a certain number of slots to equip their newly found spoils, but, unlike RPGs, the players do not maintain an inventory, so players must choose wisely what equipment they wish to keep and when to replace current equipment.

Pacing in Super Dungeon Explore is spot-on, achieving a wonderful feeling of increasing tension and difficulty before the final battle. As the heroes do damage to monsters in the dungeon, a token is moved along a track signifying the players' progress. When the track reaches certain checkpoints, more powerful monsters are unleashed into
the dungeon, starting with mini-boss strength monsters, and concluding with the final boss, whose multiple phased attacks and ability to spawn minion creatures successfully mirrors the unique dynamic found in an action-packed JRPG finale.

The gameplay in Super Dungeon Explore is accessible on many levels. The rules are easy to understand, and many potentially fiddly concepts like line of sight and area attacks are greatly streamlined, presenting a very approachable game for players new to modern board games. The game also scales well based on number of players and time available by allowing players to change the number of hero models used and the size of the dungeon board. Furthermore, because the dungeon board is built by the players from modular tiles, Super Dungeon Explore allows for a new experience every time, opening up new options for strategy and tactical decisions.

Conclusion:

I have been playing JRPGs ever since my brother and I convinced our parents to get us Sega Channel for our Genesis in the early 90s. Phantasy Star II sat waiting on the console for over a month, beckoning play after school every day. The more I played it, the more I was amazed at the story and character development found in the condensed Engrish of the Japanese-developed title. It was with this enduring fondness of the JRPG that I was excited to see a board game
treatment of the genre. In a space where the majority of board games are themed with high fantasy, gritty science fiction, or European history, it was refreshing to see a game that merged two of my interests.

Not only does Super Dungeon Explore really nail its theme both from an artistic and gameplay standpoint, but more importantly, the game is a lot of fun to play. It's fun to roll the colorful dice, and the different combinations make for some exciting decisions. The game's pacing is spot on, although if the Consul is much less experienced than the hero players, the game can end prematurely. This is easily remedied by having the more experienced player controlling the monsters for the first play-through, however. Despite this caveat, it won't be long before even new players are fluent with the rules.

Super Dungeon Explore retails for $89.95, and, while the price may seem a bit high, when compared to other miniatures wargames, it's actually quite a good value for the quality and number of miniatures supplied. For people who enjoy artistic endeavors, the process of
building the detailed models and the opportunity to paint them should give hours and hours of enjoyment. For those less inclined, the do-it-yourself nature of the models may be a turn-off. The hours of entertainment that have been unleashed from this large box have easily surpassed that of many video games for which I paid full retail price, yet sit languishing on my shelf.

For anyone interested in tactical board games, Super Dungeon Explore is worth the price of admission; for fans of JRPGs and anime who don't mind getting their hands a little dirty, SDE is a home run. It's like having a video game on your table that doesn't fade away when the power button is pressed.
65 
 Thumb up
5.31
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. thumbsup
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid review. I'd have been interested in this game back when it launched if it had any other theme or setting - as it stands the anime/JRPG theme is one that I can't stand (much like I hate the videogames from the same culture/theme/setting).

We need a Westernized version of this game, stat!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Solid review. I'd have been interested in this game back when it launched if it had any other theme or setting - as it stands the anime/JRPG theme is one that I can't stand (much like I hate the videogames from the same culture/theme/setting).

We need a Westernized version of this game, stat!


You do. It's called Descent: Journeys in the Dark. The whole purpose of SDE is to mimic the dungeon crawls of Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, the Tales of series, etc. It isn't trying to be Western, which is a nice change.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
wytefang wrote:
Solid review. I'd have been interested in this game back when it launched if it had any other theme or setting - as it stands the anime/JRPG theme is one that I can't stand (much like I hate the videogames from the same culture/theme/setting).

We need a Westernized version of this game, stat!


You do. It's called Descent: Journeys in the Dark. The whole purpose of SDE is to mimic the dungeon crawls of Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, the Tales of series, etc. It isn't trying to be Western, which is a nice change.


Games in the Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game will also scratch this itch. Not quite as 3-D as SDE, but nice miniatures that don't require assembly. The three games in the series are compatible so you can mix and match. And they have the feel of D&D 4th Edition with the book keeping replaced by card play.

They are cooperative however. There is no 'DM' - the game system itself fills that role. If you want there to be a player to be the 'DM' (with a lot more constraints than you would see in a paper and pencil game of D&D) then I'd agree that Descent: Journeys in the Dark is the way to go.

For me I stuck with the Ravenloft series. I like cooperative games. And I typically am the DM in my RPG gaming; Descent's constraints left me feeling a bit flat. Your mileage may vary....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulamala wrote:
Games in the Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game will also scratch this itch. Not quite as 3-D as SDE, but nice miniatures that don't require assembly. The three games in the series are compatible so you can mix and match. And they have the feel of D&D 4th Edition with the book keeping replaced by card play.

They are cooperative however. There is no 'DM' - the game system itself fills that role. If you want there to be a player to be the 'DM' (with a lot more constraints than you would see in a paper and pencil game of D&D) then I'd agree that Descent: Journeys in the Dark is the way to go.

For me I stuck with the Ravenloft series.


I had been considering this game for a long time and already own all of the D&D Adventure Games, Hero Quest + all expansions, Warhammer Quest + all expansions and the D&D Fantasy Adventure Board Game + both expansions. The Descent series doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons, not least of which is the dark overlord. Hero Quest & D&D FABG have something similar, but nowhere near as menacing or malevolent. I was also put off buying Space Hulk/Crusade, as it felt like a watered down Hero Quest, which I think describes SDE pretty well. For similar reasons, I am put off buying this, as its sounds like more of a battle skirmish with no quests or sense of exploration (despite its name) or achievement, beyond winning the battle of course. Other factors that influenced me were the amount of assembly required, the flimsy box, and the ever looming, ever growing moneypit of expansions, and the storage space required (which I am seriously low on). Not so much a dungeon crawl then, more like a dungeon skirmish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Salonen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great review! As there has been talk about Descent in this thread... How long is this compared to Descent (the first edition of Descent. We have that one and it takes us forever to complete any given scenario. I have heard the second edition streamlines stuff alot.)? So, what I'm asking is if this is as cumbersome as Descent?

Edit: Oh, and another question. Another problem we had with Descent was that at the start of every scenario the heroes were weak and the overlord powerful. After one or two opened chests the heroes came too powerful and could kill anyhting the overlord could put against them easily. This happened actually every time we played. Is SDE better balanced?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy

I have Advanced HeroQuest and D&D Wrath. I like both as the allow true Solo options. Wrath seems to be streamlined and I think I heard best AI of the 3 D&D new things. But I'm looking for more of a campaign option for my characters to grow, yet with Solo play so need good AI. Which games would you suggest for this?
Sounds like Descent (either edition)would not work. I haven't broken out AHQ in awhile but I don't recall this as an option past the few adventures provided without a true DM.

Thanks


Jez2k wrote:
paulamala wrote:
Games in the Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game will also scratch this itch. Not quite as 3-D as SDE, but nice miniatures that don't require assembly. The three games in the series are compatible so you can mix and match. And they have the feel of D&D 4th Edition with the book keeping replaced by card play.

They are cooperative however. There is no 'DM' - the game system itself fills that role. If you want there to be a player to be the 'DM' (with a lot more constraints than you would see in a paper and pencil game of D&D) then I'd agree that Descent: Journeys in the Dark is the way to go.

For me I stuck with the Ravenloft series.


I had been considering this game for a long time and already own all of the D&D Adventure Games, Hero Quest + all expansions, Warhammer Quest + all expansions and the D&D Fantasy Adventure Board Game + both expansions. The Descent series doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons, not least of which is the dark overlord. Hero Quest & D&D FABG have something similar, but nowhere near as menacing or malevolent. I was also put off buying Space Hulk/Crusade, as it felt like a watered down Hero Quest, which I think describes SDE pretty well. For similar reasons, I am put off buying this, as its sounds like more of a battle skirmish with no quests or sense of exploration (despite its name) or achievement, beyond winning the battle of course. Other factors that influenced me were the amount of assembly required, the flimsy box, and the ever looming, ever growing moneypit of expansions, and the storage space required (which I am seriously low on). Not so much a dungeon crawl then, more like a dungeon skirmish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.