Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: So is this similar to Heroes of Might and Magic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I read a bit about this game and it reminds me of the classic Heroes of MIght and Magic series. Moving around a map, getting creatures, the fantasy theme and so on.

What do you think? Am I very off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not at all. This is pretty much the board game version of that/King's Bounty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say...more like King's Bounty than HoMM, but they're obviously very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not at ALL similar. shake What defines HOMM to you? Collecting resources and building up cities? You're not going to do that in MK. Building up stacks of troops to fight with? You're not going to do that in MK. I really like MK (and HOMM), but the two are nothing alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
It's not at ALL similar. shake What defines HOMM to you? Collecting resources and building up cities? You're not going to do that in MK. Building up stacks of troops to fight with? You're not going to do that in MK. I really like MK (and HOMM), but the two are nothing alike.

I disagree, but think it is alike to kings bounty (awesome game) more then homm.

you still get units, sure you have to level up to control more, so the scale isn't there but it's still the same idea.

You do siege castles, like kings bounty, theres treasures and such.

There is definitely parallels and everyone who i have played it with have compared it to homm/ kings bounty and i've played with 6 different people.

It's similar, not the same, but the idea is definitely similar.

What this game is not similar to, for example, is Forza 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I could see similarities with a game like King's Bounty. Really not similar in the actual mechanics of moving around the board/world and the combat though. Yes, you recruit units and you use them in battle. But the tactical decisions in MK resolve around what to do on your turn/what can you do with your cards and the actual battle is not a tactical exercise. Although you might consider it to be, in that, it might of been a brain burner before you decided to do battle to see if you could come up with the combination you needed to make the battle outcome satisfactory to your goal. In KB you can go whereever you want (more or less) and its the battles that get tactical.

Cool observation though. I never considered it. Huge KB/Armored Princess fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

I contacted Vlaada asking him about his inspiration for this game and if it at all came from Magic Realm. His answer was he'd never played Magic Realm, but that HoMM is his favorite computer game series.

No they are not the same, but you can see the inspiration of it in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
I disagree, but think it is alike to kings bounty (awesome game) more then homm.

What this game is not similar to, for example, is Forza 4.

That pretty much sums it up. The actual answer to the question is a resounding NO, but if the fact that you have a sword instead of a sports car is all you need to know, then yes, Mage Knight is similar to HOMM... and I'm left to wonder why you'd have even asked the question considering THAT you can already see a very large sword on the box cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
That pretty much sums it up. The actual answer to the question is a resounding NO

Thanks for setting us all straight by providing the "actual" answer. I guess we were all wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Trump wrote:
That pretty much sums it up. The actual answer to the question is a resounding NO

Thanks for setting us all straight by providing the "actual" answer. I guess we were all wrong.

Lol guess we were trump'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
Trump wrote:

Lol guess we were trump'd

I guess even Vlaada himself was wrong about his influence for this game according to that, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malekous wrote:
I guess even Vlaada himself was wrong about his influence for this game according to that, haha.

Not at all. He may very well have been influenced or inspired by HOMM. With Through the Ages and Dungeon Lords, that inspiration carried through to the final product. With MK, it didn't, but we are still left with a very fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
considering THAT you can already see a very large sword on the box cover.

Well, a sword behind the words "Mage Knight" has been a part of the logo since the beginning. The font and sword have changed, but it's always been there in some form.

(Rebellion)

(Conquest)

(Dungeons)

("2.0")

(Board Game)

(Or if you are referring to Tovak's sword, he had a big sword in the minis game, too; the miniature in the board game is the same sculpt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.