Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Without having read the rules, played the game, or searched threads for my answer, my question is this: the board has what looks like a scale of diminishing returns for victory points purchased. This seems jolly tactical if true. Am I understanding correctly?

Following this notion: does that board reset every turn? or is the effect cumulative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catmando wrote:
Without having read the rules, played the game, or searched threads for my answer, my question is this: the board has what looks like a scale of diminishing returns for victory points purchased. This seems jolly tactical if true. Am I understanding correctly?

Following this notion: does that board reset every turn? or is the effect cumulative?

Yes, the money you spend to buy points has a diminishing return. The board is not reset every turn. There is a column for each round so you may only buy points in one specific column each round and each space may only have 2 cubes (representing 2 purchases) for 1 or 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick reply . . . ! follow ups: in 'round robin' turn order, A buys in the first empty, turn order appropriate box - - a box with zero or one cubes - - and everyone else follows suit? I looked at the player aid; there is an absolute limit of cubes for buying, is there any limit on buying per purchase round?
Oh, the player aid seems to suggest purchases are only available in the given turn column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catmando wrote:

It theory, it looks cool. In reality, it falls totally flat. You will almost certainly be able to purchase however many victory points you want to, regardless of where other players place their cubes. The reason for this is because players are given so many cubes to place. The decisions would be much more interesting if each player had fewer cubes. I've thought about trying with eight.

Not sure what you mean by reset. The victory points are cumulative - you leave your cubes in place until the end of the game, and then count them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by reset. The victory points are cumulative - you leave your cubes in place until the end of the game, and then count them up.

What I wondered was, are cubes A placed during each turn, points collected, and then cubes returned and the board emptied? You've just told me No. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The diminishing returns represent - in game terms - a tradeoff between investing for victory points and retaining working capital to make more money later.

As for the competition to get in the right specific boxes, I've seen so much cash that one player was left with a slight shortfall on investment I think once.

The former works well, the latter not so well. Though that doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
The decisions would be much more interesting if each player had fewer cubes. I've thought about trying with eight.

I think it would be more interesting to have the same number of cubes, but less options. E.g. maybe only allow the 5, 15, 30 and 50 rows to be used!

You may then also find you want to increase the number of cubes allowed per box. Or maybe not.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.