Subject: Tumblin' Dice, found new in Box, keep or sell?? HELP!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sad at not being able to find a copy of Tumblin' Dice at a price I could afford. Late one night last week I found a copy new in box on Craig's List for $10 + shipping. It arrived in the mail today & the box is truly sealed. So...my question is...we've never played this game but if I break open the box to try it, I've destroyed a big part of it's value.
Do I just sell or trade it? or keep it?
We are a family of 4, 2 daughters ages 9 & 13.We have game night at least once a week but usually 2 or even 3 nights. My family likes a pretty wide variety of games.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it.

It's a blast for gamers and non-games, young and old alike.

I'm burnt on it and havne't played it in awhile but I bring it to alot of parties as everyone else I know loves the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Snob Mom wrote:
So...my question is...we've never played this game but if I break open the box to try it, I've destroyed a big part of it's value.

I'm a gamer, not a speculator, so there'd be no question in my mind that I'd play it (I actually paid 50-60 bucks for mine, and think it's great). It's not out of print or anything, and would cost a bunch to ship, not to mention time and energy spent, so unless you're desperate for a few dollars I don't see why you'd go that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Open. Play. Leave out of box to play in "killing time" moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too good to not keep to play, even if it was worth more than it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell it to me, please.

Keep it, it's a very good game and well worth the price you paid and the space it consumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
It was a big hit over the holidays with my extended family. The grandparents were happy to play it with the teenagers (including my 13-year-old daughter) and it was fun for gamers and non-gamers alike. It doesn't come out too often, but it's great in the right circumstances. Keep it!

FWIW - I don't think taking it out of the box diminishes its value much, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this game won't diminish in value when unboxed.

Play it. It's a game. Enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed -- it's a durable all-wood game that's out of print. I don't think that opening the box would diminish the value very much -- certainly worth playing to see if you like it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
Agreed -- it's a durable all-wood game that's out of print.

Out of print? It's in stock at eaglegames.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
HanClinto wrote:

The Gryphon/Eagle version is in print, but to the best of my knowledge the others are not.

There are differences in the versions different companies have put out, but there's so much subjectivity involved. What one person finds to be a bad feature, another prefers.

You can have plenty of fun with any version really, but if price were not an issue, I'd buy one of the original Nash versions. The Nash is OOP and Ferti doesn't produce them often and in great quantities so for those of us in the U.S., that version is essentially OOP as well.

So for those looking for it, it's either buy from Eagle or scour the Internet for a used one.

For the OP, I'd just open it and play it. Even if it's a Nash original and you don't like it, you could still make five times what you paid for it...or more, should you choose to sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
HanClinto wrote:

Oh wow, I haven't seen it at the sites I typically buy from in a while. Even Google Shopping didn't turn up anything. Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it and PLAY it (like everyone else says ). If you really want to test it out, you're certainly welcome to borrow my copy (I've added 4 more sets of dice to it so up to 8 can play) before you open your copy. I have the original Nash version.

It's been enjoyed by all ages when I remember to bring it outshake...and it's got a really easy ruleset!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK...the consensus is to keep the game. laugh That's what I wanted to do in the first place! Thanks for all your advice.
I checked the box as I did not even know what brand it was. It's a Nash from 2004. It looks beautiful & very heavy. I think we'll try it out tomorrow night.
Now to figure out where to store it!? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Snob Mom wrote:

I have an open spot in my shelves that you're welcome to use rent free.........whistle

Nice find, btw. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it. NOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Game Snob Mom wrote:

Mine lives behind the couch. Always accessible but not taking up important game real estate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Rolfe
United Kingdom
Dial Post
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best to open then keep, play or sell

Open it though as my copy had a warped top board that needed replacing cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fleabane wrote:
Best to open then keep, play or sell

Open it though as my copy had a warped top board that needed replacing cry

A warped board? Wow.

I have added a bunch of dice, too, to play with more than four. It usually sees 7-8 people playing it when it comes out. I haven't played it in awhile (I sit out while eight others happily jump in and play).

Money is usually involved, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Futza wrote:
Game Snob Mom wrote:

I have an open spot in my shelves that you're welcome to use rent free.........whistle

Nice find, btw. thumbsup

Thanks for the kind "rent free" offer..I do have some old Monopoly & Candyland, HiHo Cherry-O games taking up valuable shelf space in the basement...I can bring them by anytime! laugh

I've been thinking of purchasing the "always room for one more game micro-badge" so this will be my challenge. I'll find room somewhere, I'm just getting to the point where I don't want to forget what we have & where! If my kids & husband see the games around they ask questions & we end up trying more variety that way. For now I'm going to put it on the coffee table, on top of the remote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Game Snob Mom wrote:
For now I'm going to put it on the coffee table, on top of the remote!

Excellent plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's worth playing, and if you decide to sell it, you should still be able to sell an open one just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Snob Mom wrote:
Futza wrote:
Game Snob Mom wrote:

Nice find, btw. thumbsup

Thanks for the kind "rent free" offer..I do have some old Monopoly & Candyland, HiHo Cherry-O games taking up valuable shelf space in the basement...I can bring them by anytime! laugh
Sounds good. I have just the right tool to reduce their size so they fit in my shelves..... mb

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.