17 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Missing component: rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to appologize for this post right from the start as this might offend some people.

While I was reading in this forum I asked myself if some copies of Eclipse are missing the rulebook.

I mean some people are missing cubes, ships or hexes... why not the rulebook? This would explain most of the questions in the forum. Over 90% of all the questions are answered in the rulebook. I have rarely read a rulebook which was so clear and understandable.

Mhh... but the rulebook can be downloaded here in many different languages... and many questions are asked twice or thrice...

Perhaps the rulebooks are not completly missing in some copies but only some pages and nobody noticed it.
So please, count the pages in the rulebook. There have to be pages numbered 2 to 30 in the english version. If some pages are missing, please contact your publisher and ask him if he can send the missing pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol

Getting my popcorn...

(btw, I hear where you are coming from)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
LORDs_diakonos wrote:
hehe...

possibly insulting, yeah. I think you're not intending to be, but never underestimate the ability of things to be misunderstood. Most lawsuits have a large element of sorting out misunderstandings -- deliberate or otherwise.

For instance: I read an appeal in the California Supreme Court revolving around the law against pimping, which states that anyone 'encouraging' another to 'become' a prostitute is guilty of being a pimp. Many times over, the judgement stated, the argument has been raised that someone who is Already a prostitute can't be encouraged to Become a prostitute undermines the intention of the law.(Lord knows, someone in the legislature set the phrasing thus to try and derail it in precisely that fashion.) So the case in question, where a man offered to take a an undercover officer under his wing, wasn't going to fall on his belief that she was a working girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree a little. I struggle learning games reading the rulebook and I was amazed at how easily i learned this game and the rules. So I am a bit shocked how many rules questions there are. This is not TI3 or Arkham Horror with very complex rules sets. However, I will say thats what BGG community is for, helping each other out and enjoying the hobby. So I guess if people are willing to answer questions for people, then that is cool and furthers the hobby. Its definitely not hurting anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
~Amused~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
lol

Getting my popcorn...

Mhh, interesting... where do I come from ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took the rulebook for TI3, and then merged it in with Race for the Galaxy's iconography player aids, and it seems to have become more or less the same thing. Missing rulebook = fixed.

Now, I'm also missing some seemingly important hidden mission tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the best at reading rules and find these pretty easy to comprehend. Now that I've said this, I'm sure I'll be asking a dumb question soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gyrosp wrote:

Thumbed for delicious username...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gyrosp wrote:
I have to appologize for this post right from the start as this might offend some people.

While I was reading in this forum I asked myself if some copies of Eclipse are missing the rulebook.

I mean some people are missing cubes, ships or hexes... why not the rulebook? This would explain most of the questions in the forum. Over 90% of all the questions are answered in the rulebook. I have rarely read a rulebook which was so clear and understandable.

Mhh... but the rulebook can be downloaded here in many different languages... and many questions are asked twice or thrice...

Perhaps the rulebooks are not completly missing in some copies but only some pages and nobody noticed it.
So please, count the pages in the rulebook. There have to be pages numbered 2 to 30 in the english version. If some pages are missing, please contact your publisher and ask him if he can send the missing pages.

I liked this and got a laugh out of it (thumbsup for you). Very tongue in cheek type of stuff...but, I honestly don't understand what the problem is of having something posted more than once...

We all know that BGG's search function is....um... less than perfect. What's the harm in being friendly and answering questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gyrosp wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:
lol

Getting my popcorn...

From the land of Sarcasm, in the capital of Irony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
gyrosp wrote:

I liked this and got a laugh out of it (thumbsup for you). Very tongue in cheek type of stuff...but, I honestly don't understand what the problem is of having something posted more than once...

We all know that BGG's search function is....um... less than perfect. What's the harm in being friendly and answering questions?

Yes, but it DOES work. I'm pretty sure 90% of the already-answered-rules-posters aren't even looking first. THAT'S the maddening part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amused but, sad to say, I'm still trying to get a copy that is not like $1,000 or anything insane like that! At least I scored a copy of Mage Knight, so my sadness doesn't prevail too long!-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that we need to help each other, but I also agree that some of the threads lately have been...surprising.

Now we just need a new variant thread: Playing The Game As Designed.

That's the other thing that's surprised me...the number of variants proposed for what I think is one of the best games I've seen as-is. And most of them, in my opinion, miss the point: to play the game and adapt to the opportunities/challenges presented (gee, sorry your favorite tech didn't show up...or wow, those were some sub-optimal hexes you pulled).

It's about doing the best you can with what you've got. Roll with it.

:arrrh:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
mvinarcik wrote:
I agree that we need to help each other, but I also agree that some of the threads lately have been...surprising.

Now we just need a new variant thread: Playing The Game As Designed.

That's the other thing that's surprised me...the number of variants proposed for what I think is one of the best games I've seen as-is. And most of them, in my opinion, miss the point: to play the game and adapt to the opportunities/challenges presented (gee, sorry your favorite tech didn't show up...or wow, those were some sub-optimal hexes you pulled).

It's about doing the best you can with what you've got. Roll with it.

arrrh

I dunno, I wouldn't take all the variant suggestions as bashes on the game. A lot of them are more for tweaking things rather than trying to balance out "problems". It mainly means that people like the game enough that they're interested in tinkering with the guts of it.

Personally, I rarely play with variants, but I enjoy thinking about how rule changes would affect gameplay and balance. That's why I contribute to variants threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
lol

Getting my popcorn...

No fireworks. You assumed people who aren't reading rules threads would read this rules thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.