Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As over the few years I've moved on the journey of discovering all these wonderful new boardgames I've slowly come to realise that what I want most from a game is fun. I've been seduced by amazing design, clever mechanics and hidden depths, but when I see past that, I want to have fun.
So the next game contest I'm running is to find out what are the most fun games we have here.

This is the nomination thread and feel free to add any Games you like, though please check the next entry on this thread first to see if they have already been nominated.

Luckily there are a lot of geeklists out there that have talked about fun games, so I've mined them to construct a starting list, plus added a couple of my own. But a lot of these lists are quite old, so newer fun games will probably be missing....
The most ...... game. (According to ratings comments.) >> 25 lists in one! (entry #1)
[geeklist=66406][/geeklist]
The most fun you can have, playing a board game.
Party Games which are pure fun and playable with almost everyone - 2010
How’d I miss this one? Hey, that looks fun…!
Man, that game is FUN! I sure wish it was more mechanically sound...
Boardgames That Are More Fun Than Strategy Games
What makes a game "fun"
Fun family games, not too competitive, just fun
I'm a fan of FUN games - are you? List your favorites!

The scoring system will be the same as the Filler, Gateway and Light Conflict contests!

All the rounds will be announced here, so subscribe if you don't want to miss them:
1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread - Just Subscribe!

The next entry on the thread shows the complete list of nominations so far!

Further down the thread you'll find my essay trying to determine the structure and limits of the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full list of nominations. With 238 nominations...

7 Wonders
Aargh!Tect
Abduction
Advanced Squad Leader
Agricola
All Wound Up
Amyitis
Animal Upon Animal
Anno Domini: Flopps
Apples to Apples
Arkham Horror
Ascending Empires
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
B-17: Queen of the Skies
Backgammon
Bang!
Battle Line
Battlestar Galactica
Bausack
Bermuda Triangle
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Beyond Balderdash
Bezzerwizzer
Black Stories
Bohnanza
Brass
Brewhouse Bash
Busen Memo
Button Men
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Can't Stop
Carcassonne
Cash-a-Catch
Castle Panic
Catacombs
Category 5
Caylus
Cheese Chasers
Chinatown
Chopstick Dexterity MegaChallenge 3000
Citadels
Claustrophobia
Claustrophobia
Clue: The Great Museum Caper
Coloretto
Combat Comander: Europe
Confusion
Cornucopia
Cosmic Encounter
Cranium
Crokinole
Dancing Eggs
Daytona 500
Dice Town
Diplomacy
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Dixit
Dominion
Doom: The Boardgame
Dragon Strike
Drakborgen Legenden
Dschamál
Dune
Dungeon Lords
Dutch Blitz
Eat Poop You Cat
El Grande
Electronic Pictionary Man
Eurorails
Evo
Excape
Falling
Fearsome Floors
For Sale
Forbidden Island
Funny Friends Line
Galaxy Trucker
Gambit 7
Gammarauders
Geistertreppe
GiftTRAP
Giganten
Glen More
Gunslinger
Hart an der Grenze
Hedbanz
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Hey, That's My Fish!
Hula Hippos
Identik
Igloo Pop
I'm the Boss!
Incan Gold
Indonesia
Industrial Waste
Ingenious
Jamaica
Jenga
Jungle Speed
Junta
Kakerlakenpoker
Kakerlakensalat
Khronos
Kill Doctor Lucky
Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
King of Tokyo
Kremlin
Kuhhandel Master
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Le Passe-Trappe
Leaping Lemmings
Liar's Dice
Lifeboats
Loaded Questions
Loopin' Louie
Loot
Lord of the Rings
Lords of Vegas
Mad Gab
Mage Knights
Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
Mancala
Manimals
Middle-earth Quest
Monsters Menace America
Mork & Mindy Card Game
Munchkin
Mystery of the Abbey
Nexus Ops
Nobody is Perfect
Nuclear War
Nuns on the Run
Objets Trouvés
Origins: How we became human
Outburst!
Pandemic
Pass the Pigs
Petits Meurtres & Faits Divers
Pick Picknic
Pickomino
Pictionary
Pit
PitchCar
Poison
Poker
Pop-Up Pirate!
Pounce
Powerboats
Privacy
Quarriors
Quelf
Ra
Race for the Galaxy
Rage
Railroad Tycoon/ Railways of the World
RattleSnake
Red November
Revolution!
RoboRally
Rum & Pirates
Saboteur
Say Anything
Schlag den Raab: Das Spiel
Shadow Hunters
Shadows Over Camelot
Shuuro
Sindbad
Sitting Ducks Gallery
Sjoelen
Skip-Bo
Small World
Snorta!
Snow Tails
Sorry! Sliders
Space Alert
Space Crusade
Star Wars: Epic Duels
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit
StarCraft: The Board Game
Summoner Wars
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Sushizock im Gockelwok
Taboo
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Talisman (third edition)
Telestrations
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
The Book of Classic Board Games
The Castle of the Devil
The Challenge
The Downfall of Pompeii
The Great Dalmuti
The Looney Bin
The Omega Virus
The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game
The Resistance
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
Thebes
Things...
Through the Ages
Thunder Road
Tiki Mountain!
Times Square
Time's Up! Title Recall!
To Court the King
Tobago
Trailer Park Wars
Trivial Pursuit
Tsuro
Tumblin-Dice
Turbo Taxi
Twilight Imperium (third edition)
Twitch
Ubongo
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
Union Pacific
Vegas Showdown
Villa Paletti
Visionary
Viva Pamplona
Wacky Wacky West
Wasabi!
Werewolf
Why Did the Chicken...?
Wie ich die Welt sehe...
Winner's Circle
Wise and Otherwise
Witch's Brew
Wits & Wagers
Wizard
Wiz-War
Wok Star
Word on the Street
World Without End
Xe Queo!
Yahtzee
Zombies!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to throw in a bit of analysis, the games that are most mentioned across those Fun geeklists are (with in brackets the number of mentions):

Apples to Apples (5)
Crokinole (5)
Galaxy Trucker (4)
Pit (4)
PitchCar (4)
Thebes (4)
Bohnanza (3)
Busen Memo (3)
Ca$h 'n Gun (3)
Category 5 (3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apia
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola

kinda obvious, but it is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors is getting a lot of "just for fun plays" at my game nights right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of fun games on the list, but a few that I want to add:

Brass
Caylus
Mage Knights
Origins: How we became human
Through the Ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Ascending Empires
Cockroach Poker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dalesandry
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, a lot of the time, I think this is about the group you play with more than the game. There are a number of games that wouldn't be nearly as fun with some of the groups I play with compared to the others. And everyone is gong to have a different definition of fun in mind, I expect. I see a lot of games on the list that I certainly find fun, but the concept of fun that initially springs to mind when reading this is the party style fun I have laughing at Kyle's attempts to portray Titanic in Time's Up: Title Recall, rather than the different kind of fun I have in ruthlessly buying all the coal before him in Power Grid.

Should I be nominating both types of games? Or are you leaning toward a certain definition of fun for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Kakerlakenpoker.

Immensely fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Perhaps a shorter list would be "games that are not fun". Because surely a game must be fun to even make it out of the development door? Heck, even 18xx games have to have some element of "fun" in them. Don't they?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels and For Sale aren't on the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railroad Tycoon/ Railways of the World as one entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugg-Tect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
Spooky Stairs
Eat Poop You Cat
Igloo Pop
The Resistance

Times Square
Ligretto
Skip-Bo
6 nimmt!
Poker
Sjoelen
Xe Queo!
Wizard
To Court the King
Villa Paletti ninja

Edit: some doubles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have fun playing all of my games! That being said, Claustrophobia
for me is particularly fun and isn't on the list, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worm
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funnest game I've played is Star Wars: Epic Duels.
I read a geeklist where someone said it was as fair and balanced as Fox News and that's true, but it is just such fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy 18XX games, but whenever my wife comes in while we are playing, she says, "Oh, you're playing that game where no one smiles."

We certainly are enjoying it, but it's not readily apparent from outside the game.

I think you'll need to narrow down the concept of "fun" to make this contest work.

My idea of a fun game involves lots of laughing. The Great Dalmuti, Loopin' Louie, Crokinole and, recently added to my list, Viva Pamplona!.

Card games in general, bridge, euchre, multiple solitare also seem to bring out chuckles, if not outright guffaws.

Daytona 500 was another family game that got a lot of laughs, but mostly because of watching my grandma bid against my aunt.

I agree with the above note that who you play with makes a huge difference. We had some friends that made pretty much any game fun, many of which weren't as fun with a different crowd.

Another one that isn't much of a game, but I remember laughing harder while playing it than any game in recent memory, Dragon Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Murphy
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say one of the most fun games in my collection not on your list is Nexus Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirris wrote:
Honestly, a lot of the time, I think this is about the group you play with more than the game. There are a number of games that wouldn't be nearly as fun with some of the groups I play with compared to the others. And everyone is gong to have a different definition of fun in mind, I expect. I see a lot of games on the list that I certainly find fun, but the concept of fun that initially springs to mind when reading this is the party style fun I have laughing at Kyle's attempts to portray Titanic in Time's Up: Title Recall, rather than the different kind of fun I have in ruthlessly buying all the coal before him in Power Grid.

Should I be nominating both types of games? Or are you leaning toward a certain definition of fun for this?

Fair comment. I agree. I have a lot of fun playing Power Grid - but probably the only really fun bits are the nasty buying up of resources, or the look on someones face when they ended up buying a power plant they didn't want when they were trying to bid the price up.
Playing Telestrations on New Years Eve however, a group of us was laughing until some were literally crying. No contest in which is more fun.
I think this will be an interesting journey and contest as we'll see the games that some think are fun getting brutally dismissed as dry strategy (I already see Brass nominated....) and great games like Agricola (which I can't stand) stacked against pure party games. We'll see the Apples to Apples haters given another chance to vent their fury. But in the beauty of these polls contests we will see the consensus appear, we'll find the games that are the most fun for most of us.

I don't really want to narrow the definition. I know that people have fun in different ways. I'd like to see how 'fun' games are where the whole table sits in silence (but enjoys the game intensely) versus games where the fun is in viciously attacking the other players, versus those where the whole game is supposed to be about loudly enjoying yourself with other people.

But here are some excellent quotes from some of those other 'fun' geeklists which might help...

Quote:
We all play games for different reasons. For me it's about the fun factor. Sometimes its attacking opponents, making that final pass for first, or out smarting the table to squeak out a win. Sometimes it can be that glorious defeat that just makes you laugh because you should have seen it coming.

Quote:
"Fun" is of course a subjective thing. To one person, shuffling a pile of war-counters is fun; to another person brain-burning math is fun. But I'm talking about games that are almost universally regarded as fun. They don't necessarily have to be heavy games, or strategically deep. These are games concerning which almost everyone who plays them agrees that they're a ton of fun, even if they're not the best gamer's games in the world. The kind of game where people are laughing, smiling, and having a lot of fun, win or lose.

Quote:
Why do you play board games? A couple of reasons could be that you are competitive and you like to have fun. For most of us probably at least a bit of both. But have you found any games that you find are just so much fun to play that who wins becomes irrelevant.

Quote:
In my opinion this all depends on how you're going to define "great" or "fun". I'm not currently wondering about what others think is "great", but what I am interested in is what they consider "fun." Obviously everyone will have different opinions on this, and it greatly depends upon the group you're playing with, but that's what is great about the geek we can all have varying opinions, enjoy different styles of games, and yet come to the same place and share our love.
One of the main aspects that Cody and John talked about when looking at fun games was the idea that they create memories that stick with you. However, I feel like that is more of a symptom of fun, and not a cause. So I want to know what causes those memorable moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
But in the beauty of these polls contests we will see the consensus appear, we'll find the games that are the most fun for most of us.

This may be stating the obvious, but such a poll won't generate any kind of consensus, it will just show a majority vote with a nebulous significance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
But in the beauty of these polls contests we will see the consensus appear, we'll find the games that are the most fun for most of us.

This may be stating the obvious, but such a poll won't generate any kind of consensus, it will just show a majority vote with a nebulous significance.

My polls are based on average scores, not majority votes.
The significance may still be nebulous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit, all editions. Fun for all ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle E
United States
Oxnard
California
flag msg tools
Elizabeth - "...she, invented the technology that allows the city to float." Booker - "Giant balloons?" Elizabeth - "Quantum particles suspended in space time at a fixed height." Booker - "So, NOT giant balloons?"
badge
Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirris wrote:
I see a lot of games on the list that I certainly find fun, but the concept of fun that initially springs to mind when reading this is the party style fun I have laughing at Kyle's attempts to portray Titanic in Time's Up: Title Recall, rather than the different kind of fun I have in ruthlessly buying all the coal before him in Power Grid.

That last one doesn't sound like fun to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word on the Street (part/word type game) Try it!

I host a montly game night at my house. Until I started hosting, they played an assortment of games each month with an emphasis on trivia & music trivia with some strategy games. I introduced them to Word on the Street and now a month doesn't go by without it being played, sometimes for hours on end. Part of the fun is that it can be two teams of any size, so even those not good at games can be part of the fun. There is frequent smart-alecky out-of-the-box (ha!) type answers which are loudly appreciated by the crowd. I don't think we could play this game in public - we're too loud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.