4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: REPOST: Winners and Losers on the board game of life rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike boucher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(REPOSTED FROM CHIT CHAT-i GUESS THIS IS WHERE I GOES)

Recently I have got back into gaming and joined a group of individuals that meet and play regularly. As the introductions were made and the ackwardness of a new person being included into the fold developed, some revelations occured. Before arriving, there were threads related to a player and how this person always wins. this player even chimed in and challenged me as a new comer to try to provide some sort of challenge as he tired on having no compitition. I took no offence to this and in fact looked forward to challenging skill against a well versed, season expert. Upon completion of the first games night, this thought process was replaced with a less flatering perspective.

Now before I continue I should give a little info about myself and perhaps insight on why my thought process works to create this posting. I have been involved in several levels on society and exclusive, public, political and developmental groups and platforms. Been an active board member and presidant of boards for volunteer youth groups, Big Brothers, assistant manager of campaigns for diffrent levels of Government. Developed two first of it's kind health services. Member of a couple exclusive clubs in my life, and currently removed by choice. I have best friends that sit in power on Federal levels, a standing Judge, as well as a 2 time criminal. Family man, and much more that has offered me a chance to see several levels of society and how the individual parts work together. One might say a master student of sociology with a psychology perspective.

which brings me back to the game night. As the game unfolded, it dawned on me that the reason, this person was able to win all the time was not his skill of the game, but his mastery of controlling the players themselves. he would use is knowledge of the rules of the game over others to benifit his game play and would only explain his actions after it had benifited him. He would intimidate others not to perform moves that were by all account best for all, other then him. He even stated he cheats as it's not cheating if you don't get caught. He truely worked the group. Do I blame him? No, we as the other players allowed it. I should mention his personality was stereotyped as the type of person that did his type of work and person that persues external wealth. which leads to a question for discussion. Where does the line of game cross that of life. Don't get me wrong, the reason I play board games is the fact you are also playing the players, but I realize the social avenue of games and can remove personal drive to allow for an enjoyable night of gaming. More so, If there is a person at the table you play at that screams this type of person, should not the remaing players actively persue unifying and controlling this person. Maybe if we started with this ideaology for games, then when real issues in life occur, like a bad leader of a company, organization or member of government would realize the power is with the people, and through the people change can happen

Just a random rant. I for one like playing with people who take winning way to seriously, so when I jump on the sword to mess with their game, I enjoy it that much more....just saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This guy sounds like he needs an old fashioned attitude adjustment. I couldn't have someone acting that way at my table. Is it rude to ruin game night by throat-punching another player for playing like a braggart (insert expletive here) ?

I hope you don't have to play with him again. Or if you do, I wish you the very best of luck at thwarting his every action. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Short version: Sore losers are a drag, sore winners even more so.

Long version below, but the moral is the same.

There are similar topics here, "win at any price", but not as personal. I wouldn't want to play with this person. Then again, he would yell at me for not taking winning serious enough and accusing me of ruining the gaming experience for my aloofness.

Its pretty polarizing subject. Because my history exclusively playing with people I either live or work with, I behave civil. We all want to meet the objective of the game (to win) but I want to meet the objective why we're playing (to have a good time or team/family building and bonding)

"Play to win and winning is everything" is proudly boasted here. I say that with love because I've read no one in BGG condoning cheating. But I interpret many thinking that losing a game as an epic life-draining experience. Worse, if you lose and not show emotional distraught you have wrongly denied the victor satisfaction. This is where I hear "You took the loss pretty well, you must have not tried very hard or just suck!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike boucher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little unprepared....First time playing a non dice based game... and don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game of playing the game...win or lose it matters not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.