Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "if your uncloaked ship BEGINS the turn in a location occupied by any uncloaked enemy ships, you must make a Breakaway roll before you can move that ship . . . [if you fail,] your opponent may make a free attack against your ship (it does not cost him an action, and occurs even if you decide not to move after all." p.12

Can I decide before having to roll that I don't want to move that ship in order to stop him having the potential for a free attack?

-Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to move your ship (e.g. you want to stand and fight), you don't need to make a breakaway roll. But if you intend to move a ship out of an enemy-occupied region, you must first perform a breakaway roll. Similarly, if you intend to move a ship through an enemy-occupied region, you must perform an evasion roll.

I find that it's often better to stand and fight (even in a hopeless situation) rather than attempt to move away, especially if there is a much larger ("size") enemy ship, or several enemy ships, in the region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff,
I also assume I can cloak as my action, and them move without having to worry about breakaway or evasion. Is this correct?

It;s only if I attempt to move that I must breakaway, and if I don't attempt it, or I cloak first, I can just go about my business?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. The wording should perhaps have been: "if your uncloaked ship BEGINS the turn in a location occupied by any uncloaked enemy ships, before you can move that ship you must make a Breakaway roll . . . [if you fail,] your opponent may make a free attack against your ship (it does not cost him an action before your ship moves, and occurs even if you decide not to move after all."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.