Subject: 3D models for concept art? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Herndon

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
designer
To put it simply, need someone who can take the concept art I have available and do a 3d rendering of the ships for a miniatures game. Where does one shop for that kind of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there are multiple sites that do 3d printing but to get some 3d modeling done you can go to either

gameartisans.org
3dtotal.com
cgsociety.org
cghub.com

or if your paying then I can also facilitate your needs.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Herndon

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
designer
Thanks Damien. Any you would recommend for especially good service or cost? I take it you have some skill with it as well, so here are a couple examples to see if its doable for you or these companies.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/lastspartacus/?acti...

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/lastspartacus/?acti...

Being the current novice in the business as I am, am I right to assume that once I have a 3d model it can be more easily sculpted or 3d printed? I dont know the limitations of 3d printers, but I was dubious about the level of detail they could accomplish, or cost vs sculpting and casting.

What is the ballpark prices for these kinds of things, by you or these other companies? There is a dreadnought, cruiser, and two smaller vessels across four factions, so 16 total models at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapeways also does 3d printing. I know very little about 3d printing or getting sculpts done.
lastspartacus wrote:

I really like that concept art. What game will they be for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed, nice concept art. Please let us know when you get them 3D printed. Methinks your pieces could be used to play other games, such as Sky Galleons of Mars or Iron Stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to model full time but have moved onto other things recently. www.colourandnoise.com

However a friend of mine is still freelancing and is very resonable for an ex film/TV/game modeller. I'd highly recommend him.

www.scorpiocgi.co.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Wes,
Those concepts are pretty awesome. Level of detail is dependant upon the scale you want to print, that much I know....as for the process, the modeler (either myself or whom ever you decide to take on for your project) would deliver to you a 3d model. It would have to be air tight for the 3d printing. Check out a few of the sites as they usually have a F.A.Q. about what they need for printing.

The printing service would take over from there and deliver to you the finished product. check these guys out, they seem to have an awesome portfolio and might meet your needs.

some of these places may even have thier own in house modelers, something to look into.

http://www.moddler.com/about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Herndon

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
designer
Thanks for the responses guys! So what does it typically cost to turn a print into a 3d model? pm me if you want to give a quote. These sites look promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapeways 3D prints are cool and they have a decent range of options.

However I think the film industry has a better handle on things than the minis sculpting arena. They've lead the way and the rest followed. So you may want to look at

http://moddler.com/about

These are ex film people and the technology is as good as it gets (though thats my opinion only).

Bare in mind that things like masts will have a minimum allowable thickness and will most likely have to be exagerated. Much like any other minis modelling but possibly to a greater degree. You also usually get charged by the ammount of material so keep them hollow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've actually been looking into this lately. For a character 3D model you're looking at $1500 to $2000 per model from a professional. I'm not sure about boats and the like because we haven't been looking at that.

You'll find cheaper at shapeways forums, but most of the quality is what you pay for.

After that you're looking at approximately $30 to $50 per 3D printed figure. Less if you print multiples. An estimator can be found: http://moddler.com/Estimator

Again, moddler is very high resolution/detail you'll pay less at shapeways and such for lower quality detail.

It really depends on the details. We're a ways out, but once we get our site up I'll start sharing what we've been working on the past year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoreChase wrote:
We've actually been looking into this lately. For a character 3D model you're looking at $1500 to $2000 per model from a professional.

Blimey. I hope your artist doesn't see that. There's a very good reason you won't find professional artists posting their prices in public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just an average based off common knowledge in the industry. Happens to be in line with quotes I've received. Do a Google search for zbrush or maya sculpt / for hire / commission. Concept art forums, cghub.com etc.

3D models are not the realm of board games. Typically these guys do video games, advertising, films. It'll take time or luck to get a good sculptor that will take a job under $1k.

That shouldn't be a surprise though..

To get a master green-stuff sculpt you're looking at $500-$1000 depending on if the sculptor is well known or who they've worked for. You may be able to find someone sympathetic to your project, but this is just starting standard ball-park info.

EDIT:

Honestly, I don't understand why artists are against posting starting prices unless they're just afraid of being undercut. I'd think they'd get sick of low-ball offers or people expecting an 80-hour job for $200.

Again, boats and basic shapes may be less, but high resolution work just doesn't pop up for less than $1k.

If I'm mistaken please direct me to your portfolio, I probably have work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome to look at my site but I've stopped freelancing for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice wargame maps , I'll shoot you an email when we are looking to commission our maps to see if you're available/interested.

Also something I forgot to mention is copyright. Depending on length of exclusivenes, ownership, etc. pricing will vary widely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porter Nielsen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent a geek mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Herndon

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
designer
Ok, TheGambler, so you are speaking of an actual physical model costing in the thousands, rather than a 3d model on a computer? Still higher than I expected! For the 16 ships I want to start out with, as well as alternate weapons loadouts, looks like I'll have to find about 35k minimum to invest. Thanks for making it real for me I suppose the real question I will be struggling over is, as I eventually want these models mass produced like any wargame, if 3d printing or casting will be the way to go. Replying to PMs now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been posted many times before, but read this as a handy idea of the problems and costs of making models: http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

Peter's writeup is valuable info and I'm glad he shared it with the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wes, to be honest, you'll get sixteen ships for less because quantity brings down cost.

You'll also find a physical in-your-hand sculpture of a miniature will cost less than a 3D model 9 times of of 10.

I've been getting quotes for a high-detail sculpt of a figure like you'd find in Heroclix or D&D minis. The average quote is in the $1k to $1.5k range for the quality we need. My character is more complex than a boat (no disrespect meant to complexity of warships).

In green-stuff, hand sculpted the average is around $500.

Miniatures cost a lot, they're one of the biggest costs a game can incur. And we haven't even started talking of mold costs (metal is cheapest for small runs). Then production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Herndon

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
designer
Wow, a dev journal, excellent. Thanks for that, I'll pore over it. Hope it includes the technical stuff like how he figured out who would make his tokens and such.

I'm surprised to hear actual sculpted models cost less than a 3d model! It must entail alot more than I had assumed. No offense taken about the ships, I am fully aware that they are relatively simple flat surfaces, which is perfectly alright with me, if I can make them both easy to make and look awesome. I'm sure organic is much harder to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
It's been posted many times before, but read this as a handy idea of the problems and costs of making models: http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

Peter's writeup is valuable info and I'm glad he shared it with the rest of us.

Nice link Matt. That was really a labour of love and a great write up

I think he'd need to reconsider his sculptors and the mold people. Too long, too many iterations and far too much flashing from such a new mold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zlatko Grom
Croatia
Samobor
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I know 1500-2000 would be a standard quote for a high resolution miniature model. These ships seem to be about 40-50 hours of work, so a bit more than a standard naval 3d model or a basic architectural exterior, around here they go for about 1000-1500$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.