tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Some advice I often find myself giving to composition students: rhetorical questions are usually a mistake, because they invite your audience to disagree with you. They are usually an attempt to escape having to actually defend or substantiate your position.

If you have an assertion to make, make it. Don't be a chicken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
potterama wrote:
Some advice I often find myself giving to composition students: rhetorical questions are usually a mistake, because they invite your audience to disagree with you. They are usually an attempt to escape having to actually defend or substantiate your position.

If you have an assertion to make, make it. Don't be a chicken.

Depends on the composition. If it's for academic or scientific purposes, then yes, I agree with you. If it's a rhetorical composition to begin with, rhetorical questions are the norm. Think of it as leading the reader to a doorstep with your rhetorical questions, but allowing them to choose to open the door or not.

I'd also add that just about every scientific discovery and advancement in human history began with a "what if". I see nothing wrong with his usage of rhetorical questions given the context and amount of time he had to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Right on. He almost sounds like a liberal here. Too bad he's also rabidly anti-choice, denies evolution, doesn't even bother to deny global warming because he opposes all restrictions on corporate greed anyway, and has taken overtly racist positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, putting aside other quibbles, this stands out: "Obama has no intention of leaving Iraq" (about 2:38)

Um what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron Paul is the only candidate that has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Obama. It's why the liberals are focused on him, because Romney and Gingrich are laughable opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Shushnik wrote:
Ron Paul is the only candidate that has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Obama. It's why the liberals are focused on him, because Romney and Gingrich are laughable opponents.

May I offer you some wine with you're crackers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Shushnik wrote:

Hey! Shushnik!
Nice to see you in the bowels of BGG again. Why weren't you at BGG.Con last year? I was looking to get a game of Ticket to Ride with you.......

Edit-
On, and on topic-

The scuttlebutt I've heard (which is totally, utterly conjectural) is that Paul is manuevering to get a cabinet position under a Romney administration.

Dept. of Treasury?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn thing sold out too quick.

Just poking my head in to see what's up. I've got a lot of time because I have a pathological need to be a pain in the ass to crappy bosses. Maybe I need to resume exercising that compulsion here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Edit-
On, and on topic-

The scuttlebutt I've heard (which is totally, utterly conjectural) is that Paul is manuevering to get a cabinet position under a Romney administration.

Dept. of Treasury?

Darilian

Ha! If he's naive enough to think any administration would let him near a treasury dept. post, he'd be a whole lot dumber than I think. The guy wants to literally dismantle the fed. There's more chance that I'll be secretary of treasury than he will.

Of course, it's one of the few issues I think he's dead on about, but that's just more evidence that it will never ever happen unless the people put him in the head chair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. Every fringe candidate's supporters say things like this, but the fact that you love him doesn't undo math. It also doesn't change the fact that it's a lot easier for Paul to look good when no one is going after him.

Moreover, which liberals are "focused" on him? The only ones I know of who are are the ones who support him because they think Obama has let them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Um, putting aside other quibbles, this stands out: "Obama has no intention of leaving Iraq" (about 2:38)

Um what?

See, this all a liberal plot. Obama pulled out of Iraq after this speech to make Ron Paul look bad since he is the only candidate who can beat Obama and the liberals know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Um what?
It's an old clip.
Iraq isn't finished.
Iraq is a mess.
I assume the reason Obama pulled out Iraq is so that he could possibly help you make war against Iran (& Pakistan?)

WAY TO GO!

(I assume support for waging war against Iran could had been a bit lukewarm if the US still poured trillions* on Iraq and Afghanistan.)

(* total cost, not just short term military expenses. I think the question regarding how many American lives the few thousand who died in the attack is worth (and much worse how many hundred of thousand of non-US citizen lives it's worth, 500.000+ dead and counting from the war in Iraq.))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Um what?
It's an old clip.
Iraq isn't finished.
Iraq is a mess.
I assume the reason Obama pulled out Iraq is so that he could possibly help you make war against Iran (& Pakistan?)

WAY TO GO!

(I assume support for waging war against Iran could had been a bit lukewarm if the US still poured trillions* on Iraq and Afghanistan.)

(* total cost, not just short term military expenses. I think the question regarding how many American lives the few thousand who died in the attack is worth (and much worse how many hundred of thousand of non-US citizen lives it's worth, 500.000+ dead and counting from the war in Iraq.))

Yeah, of course, because I run my country and of course we're to blame for everything that goes on in the world. It's not like we let the US make its own decisions.

As for Iran, oh yeah, we want nothing better than to bomb the hell out of them-- just like everyone else in the world.

Give me a break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
aliquis wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Um what?
It's an old clip.
Iraq isn't finished.
Iraq is a mess.

WAY TO GO!

Yeah, of course, because I run my country and of course we're to blame for everything that goes on in the world. It's not like we let the US make its own decisions.

As for Iran, oh yeah, we want nothing better than to bomb the hell out of them-- just like everyone else in the world.

Give me a break.

Really? Well, can you get our government to knock it the hell off? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.