Subject: Maybe buying Arkham Horror Soon. How good is it solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I may be buying this game and unfortunately in my life right now I'm of playing a lot of solo games. I'm looking for a game that can be played well solo and I heard Arkham Horror is great.

How many of you would say this is a good solo game?

Are there solo rules included or do I have to look up a variant?

I don't know much about this game but am very interested in acquiring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyerca25 wrote:
I may be buying this game and unfortunately in my life right now I'm of playing a lot of solo games. I'm looking for a game that can be played well solo and I heard Arkham Horror is great.

It is excellent solo. Run 2-4 characters and if you look under the topic itself there are several actual solo variants. But for me, knowing the rules well, running 2-4 characters is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I prefer playing with other players (usually), it still makes for a great solo game.

It provides a small, self-contained adventure that video games have difficulty replicating. Certainly they don't come close in the tactile department.

3 or 4 investigators is best, but teach yourself using only 1 or 2. The game may be hard to win, but it'll be easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyerca25 wrote:

It's co-operative with no hidden information so it plays excellently solo, although it does involve a fair bit of book-keeping etc. so it will be slow at first - I would recommend the Vassal module for playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it solo (with multiple investigators!) but lack the space to keep it set up. It would be great if I could just reset the board after every play and pick up a game when I had the time.

You don't need any additional rules for solo play because everything depends on the number of investigators, not players, and there's no reason not to play 2-4 (or more!) characters yourself.

With just one investigator, it will be almost impossible to win by sealing/closing gates, but it will be much easier for you to take out the Ancient One when it awakens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
I love it solo (with multiple investigators!) but lack the space to keep it set up. It would be great if I could just reset the board after every play and pick up a game when I had the time.

With just one investigator, it will be almost impossible to win by sealing/closing gates, but it will be much easier for you to take out the Ancient One when it awakens.

The AH files section has a smaller AH board you can use.

With one investigator, draw a Mythos card every six turns. Decrease this by one for every Elder Sign in play. (Or something like that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a game group and end up playing many of my games solo. This one is my favorite. It's a fairly complex game and there can be quite a few things to keep track of when playing solo so ease yourself into it by just playing the base game with two or three investigators first, to get the gist of the rules. If you have rule questions, check the forum here, there are a large number of very helpful Arkham players that will be quick to answer. The base game is pretty easy to beat once you get the hang of it. After that, use four investigators and throw in an expansion (I personally like Dunwich and King in Yellow best) for a real challenge. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most solo games rely on aspects of puzzle solving or narrative in varying proportions. I think the reason Arkham Horror plays so well solo is because it has a strong story telling aspect and the puzzle element is diminished because the outcome of many choices and situations are uncertain.

Arkham is definitely a good solo play option. The only niggle for me is the board is too large, great for groups but I would prefer a smaller board, I have been working on my version for a while now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is useful for playing different amounts of characters....it is how I learned to play the game. Also I downloaded a flowchart that was excellent but when I looked for it just now I could not find it. There are some others that cover the base game though.

Take a look here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/150986/solo-game-its-worth-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Playa Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its also great because with the expansions you can vary the game play a ton. From making it, easier, harder, or even both (which kind of just makes it more complex). No 2 games have to play close to the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
I don't have a game group and end up playing many of my games solo. This one is my favorite. It's a fairly complex game and there can be quite a few things to keep track of when playing solo so ease yourself into it by just playing the base game with two or three investigators first, to get the gist of the rules. If you have rule questions, check the forum here, there are a large number of very helpful Arkham players that will be quick to answer. The base game is pretty easy to beat once you get the hang of it. After that, use four investigators and throw in an expansion (I personally like Dunwich and King in Yellow best) for a real challenge. Enjoy!

I currently live in a sparsely populated area, and I honestly wouldnt know where to begin to find players right now. I have a few games, and many of those I've bought several years ago when I had gaming buddies. Out of all these games, I only have 3 that I enjoy solo. I'll probably buy this game tonight, woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game naturally plays solo and it is quite normal to play several characters at once. There is no need for any solo rules at all which means you will get a similar experience to multilayer. Of course you will not get joint discussions or decision making about what to do next but that's not a key part of the game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game solo and have enjoyed it greatly. I play 3 characters at a time and love the "story" aspect of it. Each time I play I think "this would have been a great movie." I had some "false starts" before I actually got through a game but it is a learning experience that is worth it. Eventually I got some small expansions and have incorporated them into play as well.

Get the game, you won't regret it.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome solo game... best if you use 2 Investigators, 3-4 if you're using expansions. A very immersive experience; for me it's like stepping into the books...

I also recommend Ghost Stories for solo play, completely different type of game from Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played AH solo but only once. It does play just fine, being that it's player-vs-game game. The only thing keeping me from playing it more is that I don't enjoy playing more than one investigator and the game is just a monster to set up. However, once in play it is quite fun and I may challenge myself to see if I can beat it with just one some time!

So far, my favorite non-solo solo game is Merchants & Marauders which I've played a couple solo games of and truly enjoyed and quite quickly.

I'm sure you'll have fun with AH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirk
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second everyone's love of AH solo. I play it that way with anywhere from 2-4 investigators and it's a great time.

I especially second TwoShedsJackson's suggestion of using the VASSAL module to play it solo - it's how I learned the game after buying it so I could then teach it to more of my friends and get them hooked on playing, therefore justifying unpacking the box once a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
I've only played this game solo and have enjoyed it greatly. I play 3 characters at a time and love the "story" aspect of it. Each time I play I think "this would have been a great movie." I had some "false starts" before I actually got through a game but it is a learning experience that is worth it. Eventually I got some small expansions and have incorporated them into play as well.

Get the game, you won't regret it.

Tim

I bought this game along with an HP Lovecraft collection of stories. I love to read too. I already added it to my 'owned' list but haven't received it yet. I really can't wait to play this!

EDIT: I just hope I don't get creeped out playing it aloneblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coren wrote:
I've played AH solo but only once. It does play just fine, being that it's player-vs-game game. The only thing keeping me from playing it more is that I don't enjoy playing more than one investigator and the game is just a monster to set up. However, once in play it is quite fun and I may challenge myself to see if I can beat it with just one some time!

So far, my favorite non-solo solo game is Merchants & Marauders which I've played a couple solo games of and truly enjoyed and quite quickly.

I'm sure you'll have fun with AH!

This is funny, I bought Merchants and Marauders for a friend for xmas. We set it up but he lacks the enthusiasm for games I guess. He likes them but not so much to play them solo like me. heh heh. Well, when lacking, we make up for it HUH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear it is a great solo game. But so far I've been too skeered to play it alone. I already hear spooky sounds in my bedroom at night. zombie

Mommy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been actually scared while playing Arkham solo (and I am a person who gets the heebie-jeebies sometimes). The feel of the game is a lot closer to an action pulp adventure than a true horror story (although there are some creepy happenings).

Lovecraft's short stories, on the other hand, have on occasion filled me with existential dread. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great solo game. You could even say that it is the non wargaming equivalent of ASL. With all the expansions you have a game that is almost inexhaustible playable and variable. Every game tells a different story. I will be playing AH for the rest of my life. In fact I am concerned about the durability of the components over the very long term. Will they stand up to 30 or 40 years of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of solo games, and I have played AH solo quite a few times.

It has been a great experience for me. Take some time to read the rulebook and print off some of the excellent player aids here on BGG. I play with 3-4 characters when playing solo, but recommend you stick with one or two for your first games until you get the flow down.

Playing Arkham Horror is definitely about the experience for me, more so than the winning. Although that is satisfying well. I agree with the other posters regarding replayability. There is a lot here, even more if you acquire further expansions.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Brynildsen
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
I got the game a couple of weeks ago, and until now, about half my games have been solo.

I find it a lot of fun, it's just a bit tuned down from playing with other people. I get almost the same ups and downs when winning and losing the game, and there are a lot of strategic decisions to make when playing solo. But it's not imo, the same role-playing feel, and theme, as when playing with others. And the social interaction is a big part of the game as well.

Still, it's a must-buy, and you will have a lot of fun with it playing solo. I advise you to play 2-3 investigators in the main game, and 3-4 if adding another big expansion (There will be more clues around, and more movement involved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.