Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I'm playing this on vassal while I wait for my 2nd edition hard copy. The counter mix is giving me some headaches as I haven't got the hard copy yet.
I understand ( I think) that there is a counter limit for the groups of combat ships,and that is modelled in vassal. I'm less sure about Colony ships. In vassal they are not numbered. Do you have a potentially unlimited number at any time ( subject to being able to afford to buy them), is there a 'one use only' counter limit, or is there a limited number of counters, but on convertion to a colony they goes back into the available counter mix (much like the combat ship group counters when they are destroyed/disbanded).
Decisions that will shape untold millions of non existent lives await the answers.

thanks,

howard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a limited number of colony ships and the colony ship counter becomes the colony counter when flipped. That said, I have never come any where close to running out of colony ship counters. Your near space has 8 habitable worlds and one uninhabitable world. In addition to that are the far space uninhabitable worlds which require you to wipe out the Alien Fleets before you can colonize them (if you have terraforming), so the 15 or 20 (?) colony ship counters you get with the game are plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks.
Now to find the rest of those colony planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexandre Boureau
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did run out of colony ships yesterday. I had industrious, and had 4 asteroid systems near my space and took one more in my ally's space.

The total was 8 normal colonies, 1 barren, 2 asteroid colonies in the hole space and 5 outside.
I did not know whether I was allowed to put an extra one or not. Now that I think about it, it would have been really brutal if we had played with tech and research centers.

We didn't finish the game btW. The opponent in front of me did some extreme titling too with Terra 2(I should really have picked it! The RoI is faster than with colonies).

Can you still invade planets if you run out colony counters? It would be weird if you cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galdred wrote:
I did run out of colony ships yesterday. I had industrious, and had 4 asteroid systems near my space and took one more in my ally's space.

The total was 8 normal colonies, 1 barren, 2 asteroid colonies in the hole space and 5 outside.
I did not know whether I was allowed to put an extra one or not. Now that I think about it, it would have been really brutal if we had played with tech and research centers.

We didn't finish the game btW. The opponent in front of me did some extreme titling too with Terra 2(I should really have picked it! The RoI is faster than with colonies).

Can you still invade planets if you run out colony counters? It would be weird if you cannot.

This question has come up with regards to combining the Colony Ship/MS Pipeline from the first printing of the Base Game with the duplicate set of counters that were included in Close Encounters. Jim wrote that you could combine those two types of counters. So your colony limit is 15 1st Ed Counters + 15 2nd Ed Counters + 1 Colony Ship Counter from Close Encounters = 31 Colony Counters. If you do not have an extra set of counters feel free to you some spare tokens to make up the difference in Colony Ship/MS Pipeline Counters. As those counters are not hidden information counters anything with two sides to it should do. I have not heard of anyone hitting 32+ colonies so that should cover the situation.

Note, Jim only gave this permission for the Colony Ship/MS Pipeline counters to be combined in this way. So you cannot use this ruling to allow you to field the double number of other counters in a game against your opponents wishes. If they want to go along with doubling the other counters then have fun, though beware the SC rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also note that in addition to my previous answer of 31 being the colony limit all of the planet tiles in Replicators have a colony marker printed on them. Jim noted that we did not need to add anymore Colony Ship Counters to the game as those nine tiles would free up nine Colony Ship Counters for use in deep space. So the actual component limit is going to be 40 Colonies per player at any one time.

The Replicators are a little different in that they only have 12 Colony Counters to go with their 9 Colony Tiles. But, I feel sure Jim would support allowing the Replicator player to use stand-ins to reach 40 if it was necessary. Though with the fact that Replicator Colonies and the Planets they are on start getting removed from the map once a certain Economic Phase is reached I really doubt that you are going to need to mark more than 21 Replicator Colonies. Except in a case where the Replicators have colonized all 12 of the Deep Space Barren Planets and are now starting to take over Normal Player Home Space Planets. At this point the non-Replicator Player should probably just give up though, unless they have a Homeworld nuking fleet right on the Replicators HW doorstep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm - Colony ships can be treated as unlimited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.