Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I was thinking of getting this game because I love the TV series and I love board games. But I'm afraid that the game would give away things, people, story lines that might spoil the TV series. For those who have played the game and watch the TV show, do you think this would be so?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
toyboy101 wrote:
Hi. I was thinking of getting this game because I love the TV series and I love board games. But I'm afraid that the game would give away things, people, story lines that might spoil the TV series. For those who have played the game and watch the TV show, do you think this would be so?

Thanks

Some of the books have been out for over a decade, you really shouldn't expect to be able to stay spoiler free after that long. That said the game should be spoiler free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the house cards use characters from book 2 and after, I don't think they are spoilers though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the TV series first, then read the books and finally played the game.
Chronically the game is set before the ending of the TV series, to be exact:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
right after king Robert's death

and it tells different story (player's version) of what happened next.

All the characters from the game will be introduced sooner or later in the story with their motives explained. To play the game you don't really have to know who is who and why he's fighting Although it gives the game a tasty flavor

There are some minor spoilers if you look closely on some of the drawings and the Others
are attacking every few rounds

I'd say that after watching the TV series you can play this game without spoiling the fun of watching next seasons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be spoiled, and that's an indictment of how loosely the theme is integrated into the board game. You'll see some unfamiliar names, but it whet the appetite for me in seeing them introduced later on in the books. "Woooot Red Viper, he is badass!" And the characters are all with the Houses they started on, unlike in the expansions for the 1st edition, where some of the characters switched sides (so you'd know the betrayal was coming in the books).

One big spoiler if you've only finished the 1st book/TV season though.

Why is Greyjoy a major house and a playable side? And why is Theon... uh oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Peter I read the books and was like SPOILER ALERT! The TV show is ruined.

Sorry...had to do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than
Robert's death
mentioned in the manual, there aren't that many spoilers. The greatest chance of spoilers is from people who have seen the show or read the book series talking about it during in game play, rather than from the game itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabzevarian wrote:
Other than
Robert's death
mentioned in the manual, there aren't that many spoilers. The greatest chance of spoilers is from people who have seen the show or read the book series talking about it during in game play, rather than from the game itself

Yeah. First time I played, I, as Stark, pointed my finger at Lannister, and the Lannister player said, "Don't lose your head over it, Ned!", and high-fived everybody else at the table.

Was halfway through the 1st book then. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Why is Greyjoy a major house and a playable side? And why is Theon... uh oh.

I don't know how much of a "spoiler" that is, because...

I don't think they planned out the House card decks based on plot. More than anything, it seems they just sort noble and royal characters by house name. "Theon's a Greyjoy? Put him in the squid deck."

Otherwise, why would Renly Baratheon (and of course Brienne of Tarth) fight alongside Stannis Baratheon? Renly's wife and lover are both Tyrell. So you can't completely trust the House cards' relation to the book. Of course, I say that as someone who's read all 5. If I hadn't read them, I'd point to Theon and cry "Traitor!" But I'd also wrongly assume that Renly sides with his older brother in the war.

In the War of Five Kings, we have Robb Stark (Stark), Balon Greyjoy (Greyjoy), Joffrey Baratheon (Lannister), Stannis Baratheon (Baratheon), and Renly Baratheon (Tyrell). With Doran Martell scheming in the south, which comes out more in later books. I'd love for them to make a set that follows the books along those lines, but of course splitting the Baratheon brothers apart would be a significant spoiler.

In my group, most of the spoilers come from the players getting in character and referencing the books, like Martell calling out Tyrell,
"You coward! When will you stop harping about your son!? 'Oh, my boy, you've crippled my boy!' Shut up already, that was so yesterday!"
Yeah, that might have been me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.