Subject: lone heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there really any point NOT putting a hero in a squad if you can?
Sure you get an extra unit to run around with but is it really worth it? Seems that giving a squad more HP and skills is way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Advantages of having a hero with a squad:
- Hero soaks the squad's damage, adding longevity to the squad.
- Shared abilities. Hero gains the squad's skills and vice-versa.
- Hero is able to use cover.
- Single activation. It can often be advantageous to be able to attack with both the squad and the hero simultaneously.

Advantages of having the hero separated from the squad:
- Gain an extra activation, which can be a great tactical advantage.
- Accomplish 2 things at once. You could have the squad block an enemy, while the hero runs towards an objective, etc.
- Occupy 2 squares, which could help hold off the enemy.
- Divide the targets. A hero attached to a squad is a single target, which allows the enemy to dish out a single attack that takes out both together. If yo separate the hero, the enemy is forced to chose which one to target, so you could sacrifice one, leaving the other unscathed.
- One doesn't steal actions from the other. Sometimes the hero or the squad needs to spend an action in order to execute a skill, which prevents the other from using sustained attack. Like the Flaks needing to reload, or Rosie using Tank Head.
- Lone hero is able to share a square with another friendly unit.

So, as you can see there are several reasons for keeping heroes separated, as well as keeping them attached. My recommendation is to start the match with the hero attached, but always keep in mind that at any moment it could be advantageous to break away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
- Single activation. It can often be advantageous to be able to attack with both the squad and the hero simultaneously.

Advantages of having the hero separated from the squad:
- Gain an extra activation, which can be a great tactical advantage.
- Accomplish 2 things at once. You could have the squad block an enemy, while the hero runs towards an objective, etc.
- Occupy 2 squares, which could help hold off the enemy.
- Divide the targets. A hero attached to a squad is a single target, which allows the enemy to dish out a single attack that takes out both together. If yo separate the hero, the enemy is forced to chose which one to target, so you could sacrifice one, leaving the other unscathed.
- One doesn't steal actions from the other. Sometimes the hero or the squad needs to spend an action in order to execute a skill, which prevents the other from using sustained attack. Like the Flaks needing to reload, or Rosie using Tank Head.
- Lone hero is able to share a square with another friendly unit.

So, as you can see there are several reasons for keeping heroes separated, as well as keeping them attached. My recommendation is to start the match with the hero attached, but always keep in mind that at any moment it could be advantageous to break away.

You really nailed some good points there. Thanks I really hadn't thought about it like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junlins caanil
Philippines
flag msg tools
mb
Loophole Master wrote:

, but always keep in mind that at any moment it could be advantageous to break away.

I can still clearly remember how Lara broke away from the Flaks and ran away towards the Recon boys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehehe, exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:

you forgot one .

while most heroes soak damage for a squad , some squads soak damage for a hero , because there are some heroes that have special abilities that are more valuable than their combat abilities , such as Bazooka Joe .

while joe has descent combat abilities , black ops is a great non combat related ability . while players CAN turtle hide him in the rear areas , it still leaves him at risk , especially if an opponent has fast transports ( like the SSU ) that can get them to the rear areas , leaving your hidden heros and command sqauds at extremem risk .

pairing joe with a squad , even if he is in the rear area , means he is more likely to live longer and take advantage of cover .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.