Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Guys

I know that a few of you are pretty anti-Kickstarter and there are already a few threads supporting both sides. This thread is kind of more for those of us who support Kickstarter, although your input is encouraged as well. Just don't need another general KS thread if you'd be so kind as to not start any debates - thanks!

That being said, I am looking for your feedback on a few items that I am considering for my own KS campaign that's coming up. No I am not here to find Backers and I do not plan to discuss my game,etc. Anyone who is curious and observant enough can find the tools he needs in my avatar, etc.

I want to offer good incentives and Backer Rewards - some of them out there are kind of crazy to me or not really attractive enough to warrant support.

Let me know your thoughts on the following list and feel free to add your own suggestions. My company plans to operate and form policies based on what the gaming community wants, so here is a chance to make your voice heard and help us form our foundation.

A. Although I WANT to use it, the Reward Tier of 1 dollar to 20 dollars does not seem to get a lot of backing. Seems like most Backers want to get SOMETHING for their money and consider chipping in 5 bucks for a "thank you" as a waste of time. Agreed?

B.One Copy of the Game seems reasonable enough and that will form the basic unit of my Backer Reward System. I plan to start at this level. One copy of the game and Free Shipping.

Side Note - how valuable is it to actually have your name in the Rulebook as a supporter? Is your name on a page of my website just as good? Rulebook is already CRAMMED, lol.

C. One Copy of the game plus Free International Shipping. A popular Level 2 it seems. My question is whether it is REALLY worth it for those of you outside of the USA to pay such high prices for shipping. I'm having Game Salute find the best pricing available so hopefully this Tier will not be TOO much higher than the basic. I do not want to offend any of my International friends by asking 50 bucks to ship a 40-dollar game to them. That stinks.

D. Some guys go with 2 or 3 copies of the game at the next level. is this really a good reward? What good does it do to have multiple copies of the same game? Gifts for friends? Sell one on eBay before its available? Let me know if this is a good choice.

Here are some things I am thinking of adding - let me know if any of these look GREAT or if any are CRAP.

E. Game Artwork signed by my artist and myself. Yes I can come up with something cool and the signing costs me nothing but unless my game is the next D&D - is this really valuable? Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered if it is. I just want to make sure I am not insulting anyone by offering this.

F. Free Expansions and Accessories for Life. This would be on a higher tier of course. If the game becomes popular and has some longevity, this is a great reward. If the game does not sell well and the company goes out of business in a year, not so much.

G. Promo - Several cool cards or a set of 4 custom dice. Nothing game changing. And available later to everyone. We've talked a lot about Promos here recently but what are your latest thoughts?

H. An Expansion to be released later in the year. One Free Copy. But it's not coming out for months. I can provide artwork for it and the rules, etc. But is it worth it to chip in double for something you won't get for a while? The core game will be in production right after Kickstarter so this is not an issue for me there. I have seen quite a few games get Backed that were not due out for a year or more. Thoughts on this?

I. Name a Ship Class. Is it worth money to you to be able to say that my Assault carrier is now the Avenger-class Assault Carrier? What happens if you want to call it the DooDoo-class Assault Carrier? I won't want to name it that. But if I say that your idea is "subject to our approval" is it still worth the extra money?

J. Your Picture on a Card. This would be another higher Tier. I have the artist to do it. I would be willing to let the Backer name his character and have input on how he/she should look. Here is my problem and I mean NO offense. What if the card is for the Fighter Ace and the guy who buys it is a 400 pound defensive lineman? He obviously cannot fit in the Fighter. How can I make that realistic?

Anyway this is what I have so far. I have less than a month to choose my Tiers and go for it. ANY input that you guys have is deeply appreciated. I'll never be able to please everyone but I want to offer a variety of rewards and cool stuff at the right dollar amounts.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with! Thanks for your time!

Steve
EPG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:

C. One Copy of the game plus Free International Shipping. A popular Level 2 it seems. My question is whether it is REALLY worth it for those of you outside of the USA to pay such high prices for shipping. I'm having Game Salute find the best pricing available so hopefully this Tier will not be TOO much higher than the basic. I do not want to offend any of my International friends by asking 50 bucks to ship a 40-dollar game to them. That stinks.

D. Some guys go with 2 or 3 copies of the game at the next level. is this really a good reward? What good does it do to have multiple copies of the same game? Gifts for friends? Sell one on eBay before its available? Let me know if this is a good choice.

With the multiple copies thing: Usually the more copies of a game are grouped together the cheaper it is per copy of the game. So international costumers pool up for these levels to combat the higher international shipping.

Mostly I just go for the level that gives the copy of the game, maybe one higher if it gives an expansion or something. And I think it's cool to open up a rule book and see your name in it. But if it's already massive then the website would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noted and Thanks, Derek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like gaming apparel. There aren't a ton of boardgaming shirts available and that make a great level 1 at $10-15 IMO. All I really care about are getting the game as cheaply as possible and a cool tee shirt.

Also, be sure to get a prominent reviewer to review the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A. Although I WANT to use it, the Reward Tier of 1 dollar to 20 dollars does not seem to get a lot of backing. Seems like most Backers want to get SOMETHING for their money and consider chipping in 5 bucks for a "thank you" as a waste of time. Agreed?

Agreed. If I like your game enough to give you money, I like it enough that I want a copy.

B.One Copy of the Game seems reasonable enough and that will form the basic unit of my Backer Reward System. I plan to start at this level. One copy of the game and Free Shipping. Side Note - how valuable is it to actually have your name in the Rulebook as a supporter? Is your name on a page of my website just as good? Rulebook is already CRAMMED, lol.

Personally, I don't put that much value on my name in the book unless it's for something significant like being a playtester, etc... Name on a webpage though is pretty much zero value though. Neither one is much of an incentive to me.

As long as you're up front about the costs, then it's their choice to make IMHO. Springing high shipping costs on them AFTER you've got their money would be dirty, but not if you tell them up front. They probably already know international shipping is high anyway.

Yeah, this is an odd one because like you said what would people do with it? I think some of them are hoping to recoup money by selling it on eBay. Personally, if I want two copies I'll buy another one later when it gets published.

E. Game Artwork signed by my artist and myself. Yes I can come up with something cool and the signing costs me nothing but unless my game is the next D&D - is this really valuable? Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered if it is. I just want to make sure I am not insulting anyone by offering this.

It's a nice perk, not a big deal, but it costs you nothing so why not?

F. Free Expansions and Accessories for Life. This would be on a higher tier of course. If the game becomes popular and has some longevity, this is a great reward. If the game does not sell well and the company goes out of business in a year, not so much.

Hard to weigh. The basic game is at a maybe/maybe-not getting published level, so how many expansions should I assume will make it? Seems like low-probability stuff to me.

G. Promo - Several cool cards or a set of 4 custom dice. Nothing game changing. And available later to everyone. We've talked a lot about Promos here recently but what are your latest thoughts?

Upgraded gamepieces are one of my favorite bonuses, the only thing better than a good game is a PIMPED OUT good game.

H. An Expansion to be released later in the year. One Free Copy. But it's not coming out for months. I can provide artwork for it and the rules, etc. But is it worth it to chip in double for something you won't get for a while? The core game will be in production right after Kickstarter so this is not an issue for me there. I have seen quite a few games get Backed that were not due out for a year or more. Thoughts on this?

Better than the expansions for life, because it's more immediate and more likely to happen - especially if you can show something in progress so it feels like it will actually happen.

I. Name a Ship Class. Is it worth money to you to be able to say that my Assault carrier is now the Avenger-class Assault Carrier? What happens if you want to call it the DooDoo-class Assault Carrier? I won't want to name it that. But if I say that your idea is "subject to our approval" is it still worth the extra money?

Kind of cool, I would say it's appreciated even if it's not worth a ton on its own. Maybe jack it up a little and let them have input into the look or design as well? For instance, maybe pick if it's primarily armed with missiles or lasers?

J. Your Picture on a Card. This would be another higher Tier. I have the artist to do it. I would be willing to let the Backer name his character and have input on how he/she should look. Here is my problem and I mean NO offense. What if the card is for the Fighter Ace and the guy who buys it is a 400 pound defensive lineman? He obviously cannot fit in the Fighter. How can I make that realistic?

You can put his head on a smaller body, and size it down a little if you need to. I wouldn't think it's a big problem. Or just don't say in advance that it's the Fighter Ace. If a linebacker submits his picture, make him the drill sergeant instead or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres my thoughts....

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Hi, Guys

It doesnt hurt to have these lower levels and I have used them in the past to back a game so I would have access to backer only updates while I was still deciding on what lvl I wanted to actual back at.

Quote:
B.One Copy of the Game seems reasonable enough and that will form the basic unit of my Backer Reward System. I plan to start at this level. One copy of the game and Free Shipping.

Side Note - how valuable is it to actually have your name in the Rulebook as a supporter? Is your name on a page of my website just as good? Rulebook is already CRAMMED, lol.

Personally, I dont care about my name in a rulebook or on a website but there might be others that like that sort of thing and what does it really cost to add a page or 2 to a rulebook to satisfy these types... This could be the reward for the low lvl tier to perhaps get the $1-$20 backers.

Quote:

Many games have had upwards of $50 for shipping. If the shipping is too high, then that is where the multiple copy tiers come into effect as mentioned below. This allows international backers to split shipping costs and make the game affordable for them while supporting the game.

Quote:

Depending on popularity, availability and exclusivity of rewards; people get extra copies to resell. I think the main reason though is to reduce the overall cost per game for those that are international and have high shipping costs that could now be split or those in a local game group that will also benefit from one order to share.

Quote:
Here are some things I am thinking of adding - let me know if any of these look GREAT or if any are CRAP.

Dont know if it is valuable but some people are very into artwork and its a nice toss in to increase the value of higher tiers.

Quote:

Was a popular reward tier with a different kickstarter project and helped to make it #1 funded project in games category. I say go for it!

Quote:

This is what I like. Promos and custom game pieces. I also like exclusive pieces that are only available to kickstarter backers. Whether they are just just something different than whats normally available like alternate art or custom dice that dont affect normal gameplay or whether they are exclusive promo cards or expansions that will never be available at any other time or elsewhere. I know many feel cheated if there is something game affecting that they can not get if they didnt get in on the kickstarter but in reality, backers usually end up paying more for the game than what it ends up being sold for at online retailers so I think we should get something for it. Sort of like getting a "deluxe" version of the game for being a backer and others get the normal version later.

Quote:

I would not chip in double but would think if its a small expansion it could be an included as a reward or if its large then perhaps a small add on fee.

Quote:

I grouped these together because they are kinda on par with each other. They are fun options that people have taken advantage of in other games so I say go for it. I see nothing wrong with the "subject to approval" part, assuming you work with the backer to achieve something that works for everyone. I have also seen in other games where the piece that was customized ( named item or likeness on item ) was only included as a bonus in that backers copy of the game and not in the actual mass distributed game. It was a 1-off just for them. Then it wouldnt matter what they wanted to name it or looked like because it would be an extra and only in their game and no one elses.

So I say include promo items, higher quality deluxe bits like wood/plastic instead of cardboard where or if possible and things like that to make the game more special/deluxe for the backers.

Good Luck and cant wait for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Miscavish
United States
St. Joseph
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
The only things I care about are things that either make the game collectible or that effect gameplay.

Only other thing to add is that price is everything. If you look almost every game that seems to be in the $10-$20 area succedes. Games in the $30-$35 level do well but sometimes fail. Recently lots of games have been put up for $40+ and many many fail. $10-$20 isnt much to risk, $30ish is a bit risky but with some promo items is still worth a roll of the dice. When you get to $40+ though I and many others(I imagine) start thinking we are either paying MSRP and can buy your game later for cheaper or that we are risking a lot on an unproven game(which again is why its smart your having people review beta copies so your game if good proves itself before launch).

So much this.

Perhaps I'm looking at KS completely wrong, but it seems like it's mostly a way to preorder boardgames cheap. His note on price is dead-on. If I'm spending $40+ on a game, I'm going to get a game I've heard of from CoolStuff or Amazon. I don't necessarily mind blowing $10 on a new game (note that I just backed FTW for this reason). I did back D-Day Dice because of all the cool stuff you got with it. And I liked it on Vassal back when it was PnP.

If I don't like a $10 game, I can throw it up in a math trade and recoup my costs pretty easily. Not so much on $45.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only backed two Kickstarter projects so far (D-Day Dice's $35 tier and For The Win's $5 tier), and both times, it's because I thought I was getting a good deal for the money.

I know that this isn't true for all Kickstarter supporters, but for me, I think of Kickstarter as just another medium through which to purchase a game. I give you money, you deliver me a product in exchange. I'm not really here to support you, or to encourage indie development of games. If I like what you're selling at the price you're asking, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't. But on Kickstarter, this means waiting for a couple of months with my money tied up, trusting that you'll actually deliver the product that I paid for. In exchange for that inconvenience and risk, I'd like to get some extra bang for my buck. Why would I want to support you on Kickstarter when all you're offering is a 20% discount from retail on your game and free shipping, and I can just wait for the game to come out, have a chance to read reviews, and then buy it at a 30-40% discount off of retail from my favorite store?

In order to make me feel like I'm getting a good deal, I either need a heavy (>40%) discount from the retail price, or a bunch of free goodies thrown in to make it worthwhile. Goodies could mean a free expansion that will actually be sold later (and separately from the base game), Kickstarter-exclusive extra components, preferably those that actually change the game and aren't just cosmetic (1 or 2 extra cards won't cut it), or some other bonus that isn't part of the game but is still pretty cool (think the bag from D-Day Dice).

I really couldn't care less whether my name is in a rulebook or not (who am I trying to impress?). The signed artwork could potentially be cool, as it's a rather unique and limited reward that could be done very inexpensively. The high level options like the "name a ship class" and "picture on a card" are not for me, but I realize that they might hold an appeal for others; it couldn't hurt to just leave those in as an option. Something like a "Free expansion for life" option is something that I probably wouldn't do, as it's a huge gamble. But if I did, I would want to see a gameplan. What possible expansions do you have planned? What would they include? What would you price them at? How frequently would you expect to release them? If it's clear that you have a solid plan, and the amount you're asking for is a significantly better deal than just supporting at the basic level and buying the next 2-3 expansions separately, then yes, I'd think about it. But vague promises of undefined expansions somewhere in the distant future just won't cut it.

I hope this feedback has been helpful. Good luck on your Kickstarter campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:
Agreed. But still, leave a $1 Reward Tier in there so people can contribute to you if they want.

Escape Pod Games wrote:

Rulebook means everything to me, website means nothing.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Well, For The Win is $5 for USA and $30 for International. That's too much.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Reduced shipping costs plus a discount.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Don't want.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Put this in anyway and see who's willing to go the whole mile to support you. You'll be surprised.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Definitely prefer physical components as promos (i.e., the dice, or dicebag, or dice tower, or upgraded coins) instead of cards.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Again, yes, put it in, including whatever description and rules you can.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
I. Name a Ship Class. Is it worth money to you to be able to say that my Assault carrier is now the Avenger-class Assault Carrier? What happens if you want to call it the DooDoo-class Assault Carrier? I won't want to name it that. But if I say that your idea is "subject to our approval" is it still worth the extra money?[q/]HMS Princemousey? Yes, of course!

[q="Escape Pod Games"]J. Your Picture on a Card. This would be another higher Tier. I have the artist to do it. I would be willing to let the Backer name his character and have input on how he/she should look. Here is my problem and I mean NO offense. What if the card is for the Fighter Ace and the guy who buys it is a 400 pound defensive lineman? He obviously cannot fit in the Fighter. How can I make that realistic?
Put him in a bigger plane..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Kickstarter family forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:
Quote:

This is what I like. Promos and custom game pieces. I also like exclusive pieces that are only available to kickstarter backers. Whether they are just just something different than whats normally available like alternate art or custom dice that dont affect normal gameplay or whether they are exclusive promo cards or expansions that will never be available at any other time or elsewhere. I know many feel cheated if there is something game affecting that they can not get if they didnt get in on the kickstarter but in reality, backers usually end up paying more for the game than what it ends up being sold for at online retailers so I think we should get something for it. Sort of like getting a "deluxe" version of the game for being a backer and others get the normal version later.

I agree with all this. IMO there is a huge difference between Kickstarter-only promos and promos that will be available to everyone later. First, KS-only promos entice me to back the game now, whereas with available-later promos, I tend to think "why not wait and see what the reviews are like?" Second, KS-only promos lower my risk, in that they increase the likelihood that if I don't like that game, or like it but not enough to keep it forever, I can sell it for nearly what I paid. That is, exclusive promos help a game's resale value. I wouldn't back a game solely with an eye toward reselling it, but the value that KS-only promos add help convince me to pull the trigger if I'm on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Just a side mention, since you brought it up. In the Flash Duel 2.0 conversations it came up - but both David Sirlin and the Game Salute folks refused to actually confirm - that Canadian game retailers are prohibited by contract from selling Flash Duel by mail order. This how the Game Salute system works, apparently.

Again, nobody from Game Salute was willing to confirm this explicitly via email, nor was anyone running a game store in Canada willing to comment on the record.

I know that my current stance on this unfortunate choice of competitive strategy is to just not buy any games that come through the Game Salute system.

I get that we are a nation of less than 40 million people, and that this is barely a blip on your radar. But I thought it should be mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The biggest thing for me is, I am sad to admit, the price of the game. I backed D-Day Dice, Eaten by Zombies, and Z-ward in order to get a good deal on the game. There's a post-apocalypse game that was on kickstarter that interested me, but it was something like 60 or 70 bucks for the lowest rung that actually GOT you the game, and there were like 5 or 6 rungs below that.

I understand that it might not be easy to give away the game for less than MSRP, but for basically a pre-order, where I'm buying a game blind off of the hopes and dreams and promises of a designer that can candy-coat everything about the game and deliver a hunk of junk in the end I want to be able to think that I'm at least getting the game for less than retail. If I'm not, I'd rather wait for the reviews and dodge the bullet on the crappy games.

Maybe it's a personal thing when I got screwed 4 times over for pre-ordering puzzle strike from Sirlin games. I got the deluxe edition and it got delayed several months before I got a copy of the game that looked NOTHING like I was promised, and it was missing pieces. I couldn't even play the game I paid for until I got replacement pieces weeks later, and even then the quality of the game was crap until I got an acceptable quality version MONTHS later. And THEN I had to get ANOTHER pack of new pieces TWICE to make that one playable.

And now I've been informed that Sirlin is no longer supporting the deluxe edition I bought, so if I want to buy the expansions or the 're-balance fix pack' that's being sold, I need to buy a new retail copy of the non-deluxe edition base game at full retail.

All in all, that story was a what not to do to kickstarters/pre-orderers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my game will retail for 40+, does 30 dollars shipped sound like a good deal?

I am not promising this but I am mulling it over.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depending on what you get in the box, sure. I mean, if that 30 bucks gets me what I feel is a good deal, yeah, but if that 30 bucks is a printed 8.5/11 sheet of paper that tells me to provide my own components, no joy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH, you'll be MORE than happy with what's in the box.

10 boards (various sizes)
118 cards
7 dice
full-color rulebook
plastic tray insert
sturdy box
Cardboard punch-out tokens

And hours of sci-fi entertainment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a 25% discount and includes shipping which is a pretty good deal. But if there is nothing exclusive to entice me to back it on kickstarter, I could just wait and probably get the same discount or better from an online retailer ( though would have to have a min order to get the free shipping ) later and be able to see/hear reviews and such first.

So if your talking just price alone, thats pretty good I would say. However if your wanting to know if price alone is enough to get people to back, I would say probably not. I would rather pay $40 and get custom bits and exclusive items and such for being a backer than a $10 discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The discount is just the first level.

Promos and stuff will also be available.

Lots of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$30.00 Sounds great I agree that over $35.00 for the game would seem appropriate with the shipping. There is a new game out there that is going for $70.00. No matter how great the game is I would be very reluctant to go that high retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.