Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is all. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ah mainstream geek humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best show on TV. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Best show on TV. Period.

You must only get one channel. I cant stomach BBT, now The IT Crowd? Thats where its at for geeky comedy. BBT is just too...well dare I saw American? I dunno, it just does nothing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it. They really stretched the joke for all it was worth with the whole additional segment where he started talking about finally getting wood and now he was going to start the erection of his settlement..or whatever his exact words were. Still, as popular as Catan is I wonder how many of the general public's heads this whole thing flew right over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fred Obedoza
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why they're not playing a more 'geeky' game like Race for the Galaxy or Agricola, though. Settlers of Catan, really?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8010153#8010153

wood4sheep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
yamasaki wrote:
I wonder why they're not playing a more 'geeky' game like Race for the Galaxy or Agricola, though. Settlers of Catan, really?!
Newsflash: all modern boardgames are nerdy, not just the ones people around here don't dismiss as "gateway".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:

Maybe best sitcom? I'll give it that.

Clearly you've never seen How I Met Your Mother. Compared to it, BBT doesn't have an original bone in its body.

SLAP BET FOR THE WIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Best show on TV. Period.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geschichte wrote:
petercox1001 wrote:

Maybe best sitcom? I'll give it that.

Clearly you've never seen How I Met Your Mother. Compared to it, BBT doesn't have an original bone in its body.

I started watching both shows on DVD the same summer. I'm not sure we finished season one of Mother, while we watched every episode of BBT up to that point and have DVR'ed the new episodes since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont find teh show funny at all but I am glad someone involved is supporting the gaming industry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So they made the most generic, slightly-inside board game joke possible?

Sounds about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:

Sounds about right.

any publicity is good publicity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to enjoy any comedy show with a laugh track. I'd like to think I'm clever enough to figure out where the jokes are, thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
I find it hard to enjoy any comedy show with a laugh track. I'd like to think I'm clever enough to figure out where the jokes are, thank you very much.

Big Bang Theory does not have a laugh track.

It seems Chuck Lorre got so tired of people thinking The Big Bang Theory used a laugh track that he put this at the end of an episode. ◦ The show does frequently set certain locales and scenes that would be difficult to do with a studio audience, but they've said that those scenes are still shown to an audience (recording their reactions) to keep the laugh track consistent. Because of the use of the studio audience (apparently often composed of Caltech students, where the characters in the show work) you will get people who laugh at the obscure jokes and technobabble gags before they are explained.
◦ People may think it has a laugh track because the laughter sometimes seems very forced and extremely noticeable, or laughing when nobody has said anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bang is inane and moronic. The same sort of reactionary comedy that takes its cue from other media rather than being original that seems to plague television sit coms, and dramas for that matter.. When you find yourself thinking "Heh Heh, they just made a joke about this other joke I read on the Internet.", then you need to expand your entertainment options a bit.

I can think of dozens of things that are a better use of time than a half hour of this. And a whole season at a time......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread: Hipsters pointing out how smart they are for disliking something that's too popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Asmor wrote:
In this thread...

Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day at work tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
In this thread: Hipsters pointing out how smart they are for disliking something that's too popular.

Just because people dislike something that is popular, doesn't mean it's because it is popular.

For example, it could be because it's unfunny, pandering, garbage that also objectifies women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever people think of the show this was a great bit of publicity for Mayfair and Catan. I know on this site Catan is like the old redheaded stepchild, but in most of the public it is still an unknown game. How much publicity did it get with this? A lot I'm sure. How many folks are going to start looking for that "wood for sheep" game after this show.

I almost wonder if Mayfair tossed a few bucks the producer's way for the placement.. We're talking about the top sitcom on TV right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward J Grug III wrote:

Sounds about right.

You have to remember..the most generic board game joke to you is not the most generic joke to the Joe Q. Publics of the world. Even though Catan is the Candy Land of the Board Game Geek crowd you have to remember it is relatively unknown to the majority of the rest of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wood for sheep: best joke of 1995.

I quite enjoy BBT, but I wouldn't call it TEH BEST EVAR! (I save that ridiculous amount of fanfare for Firefly and Arreste Development)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really tried to like BBT. I really have, I've watched quite a lot as one of my best friends really likes it.

Nope, sorry don't get it. It feels like they are trying really hard to be geeky. It all feels a bit forced and unnatural.

And there's a guy at work who is obsessed with it and is all like "Your just like one of them off Big Bang Theory.". No, I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
I have really tried to like BBT. I really have, I've watched quite a lot as one of my best friends really likes it.

Nope, sorry don't get it. It feels like they are trying really hard to be geeky. It all feels a bit forced and unnatural.

And there's a guy at work who is obsessed with it and is all like "Your just like one of them off Big Bang Theory.". No, I'm not.

lucy and the kids think i am like sheldon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Greendan wrote:

I think trying to be geeky is only icing the cake, they try to make jokes without an overall function into the rest of the show because they confuse jokes with being funny.

Nah, I'm wrong, pop culture references are intrinsically funny. Let's add "I'm your father" to a Matrix parody, it will be totally rad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.