35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: I'm newish to board games. Should I try this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
namecid nunya
msg tools
By newish, I mean that my gaming history consists of Monopoly, Stratego, Clue, Risk, Scrabble, etc. I hear a lot of stuff about this game and I'm wondering if I should give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great game, but it would be quite a step up in complexity of rules from the games you mention. That might work out fine for you, but you might also want to consider first trying some well-established favourites that are somewhere in between, like Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. Good luck starting out on your journey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
namecid nunya
msg tools
Thank you. I will do some research into those games you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
By all means! Puerto Rico was the first Euro game I played when it came out 10 years ago. It is a straightforward game. Don't be afraid of it. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
basm22 wrote:
By all means! Puerto Rico was the first Euro game I played when it came out 10 years ago. It is a straightforward game. Don't be afraid of it. Enjoy!

I agree, just jump right in. If you are ready to wade in on BGG, you are ready to play Puerto Rico. Pretty great game for noobs, and just a wonderful game all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico isn't very hard to learn. It might take you a little longer to get good with the strategy than someone with experience in more games, but so what? You'll only be playing with other beginners probably, so they're all in the same boat and you can improve together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The canonical gateway games (game that are most common buffers between only playing the games you like and more advanced ones) are the 3 Martin citred and I would add: Dominion and 7 Wonders.

If you should or not jump straight away into puerto rico is not a straight answer.

It is a bit of a steep jump you are doing here, I assume you will have to learn yourself from the rule book, than you might feel a little bit overwhelmed. If you decide to take the plunge I can't recommend enough [media=9071][/media]([edit]:I got a file not found in the bgg link, if you get the same you can find it here: http://howtoplaypodcast.com/episodes/episodes-1-10/episode-7...). It will be MUCH easier, he explains the whole game as if he was in front of and you are about to play the game, he is an excellent teacher and will make the whole process much much easier.

I say that if you listen to the how to pay podcast you may not have a big problem getting into PR straight away.

Welcome to a whole new world my friend, relax and enjoy the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fred Obedoza
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't recommend Puerto Rico for a 'next step' boardgame. The rules are not that simple, and there are a lot going on, boardgame-wise, with all those bits and pieces. You might want to try its little sister first -- San Juan, which shares many of the mechanics but is not that fiddly. Also recommending Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, or Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main concern is if you have overly experienced gamers who are not tactful at the table. If people aren't willing to accept that mistakes will be made by the new player that may or may not affect them, then it can be exceedingly uncomfortable for the learning player.

I say this from personal experience. I was so nervous about making mistakes that I did not enjoy the game until I borrowed the game and played a couple times with my girlfriend at home. (Despite what some people may say, it is a fine 2P game).

That said, even though people like to complain about accidental kingmaking, don't let it drag down your playing experience, one fairly experienced gamer told me he thought that whole aspect of PR is overrated -- this sort of stuff happens in all multiplayer games...and hell if the experienced players are so awesome, then let them figure out how to deal with the challenge!

Its a fun, fun game, I'd say its hard to learn from the rules, but the how to play podcast is a great resource for all these games you're about to stumble into!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
...you might also want to consider first trying some well-established favourites that are somewhere in between, like Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. Good luck starting out on your journey!

+1 vote to all these games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and play Puerto Rico. It's not brain surgery. Don't let anyone patronize you and tell you that since you're new to these games, you need to start at a "lower" level. Don't let anyone imply that you need to go through some kind of initiation before you can be considered "one of us". Don't let anyone tell you you aren't ready to play the games they consider more advanced. This isn't skydiving, you won't injure yourself if something goes wrong.

Welcome, fellow gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heap Senhouse
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My main piece of advice would be to read the rule book carefully two or three times before trying to play - I've made too many rules mistakes in too many games, and have found it way less frustrating to just learn it right the first time by putting in a little more effort up front.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Go ahead and play Puerto Rico. It's not brain surgery. Don't let anyone patronize you and tell you that since you're new to these games, you need to start at a "lower" level. Don't let anyone imply that you need to go through some kind of initiation before you can be considered "one of us". Don't let anyone tell you you aren't ready to play the games they consider more advanced. This isn't skydiving, you won't injure yourself if something goes wrong.

Welcome, fellow gamer!

+1

Perfect game to start with. It starts slowly and builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play Catan. It's too random and too slow.
Or, if you have to play it, play Ticket and Carcassonne first so you won't be turned off of Euro games forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Welcome, fellow gamer!

Also, don't dismiss cautionary tales from people who have had different experiences.

Phil is right. You are an adult and you can make up your own mind. However, your question is valid and Puerto Rico is a great game, so don't dismiss it if it seems too dry, complex or indecipherable at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
namecid wrote:
By newish, I mean that my gaming history consists of Monopoly, Stratego, Clue, Risk, Scrabble, etc. I hear a lot of stuff about this game and I'm wondering if I should give it a shot.

In short: YES, ABSOLUTELY
In will open you a whole new world of board gaming meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

I run a large games club that frequently has people coming along who've only played the kind of games the original poster lists. I try to get them into a game of about the rules complexity of Settlers or Carc. They usually enjoy it, often come back and may decide they like more complex games (though there's nothing wrong with sticking with lighter ones!). Sometimes that doesn't work out and they end up in a group of experienced players playing a heavier Euro (Troyes was a recent example). Those people often don't come back.

Like I said to the original poster, Puerto Rico might work out fine. But I don't think there's any harm in pointing out that there are some games that are better known for being good introductions to the genre. There's a reason we call them 'gateway games'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I like about Puerto Rico is how intuitive it is, but that might not apply to learning from the rulebook. If you can get someone to teach you and two-three other new players, you'll find it very easy to pick up.

In terms of picking up the basic mechanics, I'd say it's quite possibly more intuitive than Carcassonne, Catan or Ticket to Ride, and certainly easier than 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware of a little bit of selection bias here - a lot of people responding are doing so because they monitor new threads on Puerto Rico. Asking them whether Puerto Rico is the game for you may be a bit like walking into an insurance salesmen's convention and asking whether you should buy insurance.

Personally, I'm agnostic. I'd recommend trying the games Martin suggested first, but for a minority, Puerto Rico works fine as a gateway to complex games, and you might be one of those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
namecid wrote:

Monopoly ==> Urban Sprawl
Risk ==> Axis and Allies
Stratego ==> Hammer of the Scots
Clue ==> Scotland Yard

You've been called up from the minors. grab your bat and glove...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A reasonably smart person, even one without a lot of experience with board gaming, will be able to pick up the rules to Puerto Rico without too much difficulty. The main downside is that it's a very low-luck/high-skill game, so if you're playing with experienced players, you will lose for a while. And it's an older and uber-popular game, so pretty much every experienced gamer you run into will have played it.

If it looks interesting, by all means play it. It's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider trying San Juan first. San Juan is "Puerto Rico Lite". It's a good game, but it has about half as many rules and half the playiing time of Puerto Rico. After you've played San Juan a few times, you'll discover when you read the rules to Puerto Rico that you already know half of them, and it will go very smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In San Juan you have a secret hand, so you'll be less inclined to ask others what a card does if you're unsure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want, you can play PR at Board Game Arena to give it a try. Just let everyone know that you're learning the game. That's where I learned PR and loved it ever since. And yes, it's a great 2-player game.

But the other games mentioned are excellent suggestions.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
namecid wrote:

Here is a great video that explains Puerto Rico, and should help you decide if this is a good game for you....

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=80

It is an excellent instructional video....the best out there for this game. If you think you will buy it, then listen to the How to Play podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.