Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendall Johns
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the tent allocated at the start or is it the first climber to build one.

My feeling is that it should be the former but you could agree the latter for children etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you have to assign it to a climber at the start, it's mentioned in the rules on page 6, under the section tent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Johns
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I,m sure you are right but the, (English), rules do not actually say so.

"Each player has only one tent. At the start of the game, player chooses one tent, placing it with their player mat, and the other tent will not be used."

We might assume that the tent is placed with it's owner but it does not actually say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further down the Same paragraph you quoted, it says:
"The player puts the tent onto their player mat on the drawing of the climber who packed it"

Based on that, I would say setup follows the same rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Johns
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liggur wrote:
Further down the Same paragraph you quoted, it says:
"The player puts the tent onto their player mat on the drawing of the climber who packed it"

Based on that, I would say setup follows the same rules.

Sorry to be pedantic but this is refering to when the tent is packed.
Agreed this would suggest that the same applies at the begining but it doen't actually say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm With Kendal. This is not clear yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The usual principle with game expansions is to apply the base game rules, unless explicitly told otherwise. In the base game, each climber starts with their own tent which that climber is carrying. The new rule in the Broad Peak Traverse scenario is that you discard one tent out of the game. There is no explicit new rule about the tent somehow being in the possession of both climbers at the start of the game.

Plus it makes no thematic sense that the tent would be in some ambiguous state of quantum uncertainty, ambiguously owned by both climbers at the start and able to be placed by either climber first. Obviously a tent can be physically carried by only one of the climbers, not by both simultaneously in different physical locations.

I've heard of Schrödinger's cat, but I've never heard of Schrödinger's tent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
The usual principle with game expansions is to apply the base game rules, unless explicitly told otherwise. In the base game, each climber starts with their own tent which that climber is carrying. The new rule in the Broad Peak Traverse scenario is that you discard one tent out of the game. There is no explicit new rule about the tent somehow being in the possession of both climbers at the start of the game.

Plus it makes no thematic sense that the tent would be in a some ambiguous state of quantum uncertainty, ambiguously owned by both climbers at the start and able to be placed by either climber first. Obviously a tent can be physically carried by only one of the climbers, not by both simultaneously in different physical locations.

I've heard of Schrödinger's cat, but I've never heard of Schrödinger's tent.

Anyway, we know that games are "simplifications", and sometimes there are game needs that are more important than common sense... or we wouldn't have such a funny geeklist like That is illogical captain! - Logical inconsistencies in otherwise fine games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.