Subject: Still need help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Hi,I am still trying to figure out what games I want to buy. I am mainly looking for games that play anywhere from 4-6 players. My group has many party type games (some older and just recently a few new ones), so I'm not looking for those. I'm interested in some games anywhere from light to medium heavy that play under 3 hours with the full amount of players.

The following are some of the games that players in my group already have.
Many are Xmas gifts and have not been played yet. If so, I won't comment.

Railroad tycoon - our 4 player game took us almost 4 hours (1st time for 2 players, 2nd time playing for the other 2 players). Too long and I'd like some interaction within the players.
7 wonders
Incan gold - ok
Glory of Rome
Cosmic encounter - played once so far with 4 players. A bit confusing knowing what the cards mean. Hopefully, it will be better with 5 players and us knowing the cards better.
Hey, thats my fish - cute fast game
The resistance
Bohnanza
Ra
Dominion - very addicting. Wish it were a little more interactive.
Settlers of catan - really like trading

Please help me choose and if you can say why you like it or don't like it that would be great.

Dominion intrigue or nightfall
Age of empires III or Chicago express
chaos in the old world or Santiago
Carcassone hunters and gatherers or catan cities and knights exp
Chinatown or genoa or lords of Vegas

I know some of these games might not even be the same type of game, but I'd like to know which ones you think is more fun to play and why.

Thanks so much for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Btw, is it even possible to find Chinatown right now? I can't seem to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Oh, I forgot to add survive escape from Atlantis.

Please add to

Chaos or santiago or survive

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is very fond of Chinatown, but your group has to be comfortable with the negotiation element. If you have some shy people that don't want to "deal", it may not work.

I also like Santiago, with it's bribery mechanic. I ended up selling it because it's supposed to be best with 5 players, which we tend not to have in our group.

If you're interested in 6 player games, we like Medici. It's sister game, Strozzi also accommodates 6 players.

I'd also recommend Shadows over Camelot with 5 or 6, if cooperative or semi-cooperative games appeal to your group. It can be a bit intimidating playing the traitor; it might be best to play without it once to get the mechanics down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Chinatown & Genoa (not LoV).
While they are similar games in that negotiation is the key (indeed pretty much the game), I find the differences are that Genoa is a lot more open with what you can do but more information is hidden whereas Chinatown is more restrictive but more information is open.
Chinatown can also work with 4 whereas I find that Genoa works much better with the full 5.

Of the two, my preference is for Genoa because it has the same amount of trading but more trading options but it really does need the right group in order to shine. If you have the chance, try it out first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb

^ Hi Toc ^

When you say under three hours, are you willing to consider games that have a relatively short playing time or would you prefer games that fill the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
I would prefer the game last from 1-2 hours, up til 3 is ok with the full amount of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Which game would you say has more player interaction, Medici or strozzi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Hi, I wish I could try them out first, but dont know anywhere at this time. I am leaning toward genoa mostly because Chinatown is hard to find and expensive.
My concern with genoa is that it may be too difficult and too long for my
group. How long would you say it takes a group of 5 to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb

My recollection of playing Genoa at the club is that we easily completed 4 and 5-player games within 3 hours once everyone was familiar with the rules.

I would classify the game as medium-heavy - there are a variety of strategies you can adopt to try and win the game and there is a lot of player interaction right from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion intrigue
Chicago express
chaos in the old world (95%)
catan cities and knights exp (100%)
Chinatown or genoa or lords of Vegas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kaosh
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Hi, thanks for you input. I will be ordering genoa. I was torn between the easier Chinatown and genoa, but so far I can only find Chinatown at amazon for $77. Which makes my decision easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.