Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three weeks ago I purchased a copy of Mansions of Madness from Amazon.com. When the factory sealed game arrived, I discovered that there were two sets of large cards and no set of small cards. I promptly emailed, emailed, called, emailed Fantasy Flight Customer service over the past three weeks. Today I get this email in response to my query on how long it will take to get a replacement for my cards:

Tim,

Sorry about the delay in getting a hold of you. We sadly are undergoing structural change here at the customer service department which has resulted in a slow down of parts replacement and response to general requests.

Sadly, our current processing of part replacement doesn't track that information nor make a tracking number. If you don't receive the items by February 20th, please contact us again and we will provide further help.

Regards,

Kalar Komarec
Customer Service Associate
Fantasy Flight Games Customer Service Team
customerservice@fantasyflightgames.com

February 20th!!!! I've already had the game for 3 weeks and cannot play a single solitary game because of their screwup and now I have to wait until Feb 20th for the possibility to play? I must say that the reports of Fantasy Flight Games having good customer service are sadly not true for me.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Re: Fantasy Flight Games Horrible Customer Service
February 20th is a 'kill by' date - if you don't receive it by then, it means that something got lost along the way, either in the mail or otherwise.

While FFG customer service has certainly slowed down since Thaad left, she also left some big shoes to fill. Kalar's been there for a few months now and I think is finally getting into the swing of things. However, I'm sure the holiday season (with its vacation time AND vastly increased customer service requests from vastly increased numbers of exchanged gifts) has again slowed things down a bit. Add on top of that their production being royally f'ed for Forbidden Alchemy (which you can blame FFG for, but not Kalar), and Kalar's got his hands full.

So, I guess it's no consolation without it in your hands, but I've had a few parts delivered fairly recently. It's certainly not as smooth of a process as it has been, but I've received everything requested in a timely manner. I'd be surprised if you didn't receive your cards soon, much less after Feb. 20th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss Thaadd, too. FFG customer support hasn't been the same since she left. They've been very slow to respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even get a date in my e-mail from FFG, just a "we'll add you to the queue" behind a "big backlog" from the holidays. But I'll be happy if they actually still have Descent 1st edition pieces in the warehouse since it's not really their fault I never sorted through the game until now (finally prepping to paint).

I suspect the date of February 20th means they plan to ship it quite soon. Usually dates like that allow like 3 or 4 weeks extra time just in case it gets delayed by USPS or whatever. So it implies you might get it in a few days, but you should start bugging them again in a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
I didn't even get a date in my e-mail from FFG, just a "we'll add you to the queue" behind a "big backlog" from the holidays. But I'll be happy if they actually still have Descent 1st edition pieces in the warehouse since it's not really their fault I never sorted through the game until now (finally prepping to paint).

I suspect the date of February 20th means they plan to ship it quite soon. Usually dates like that allow like 3 or 4 weeks extra time just in case it gets delayed by USPS or whatever. So it implies you might get it in a few days, but you should start bugging them again in a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a "you're in the queue" message for a broken piece in my new Gears of War game I got for Christmas. Sent the request in just before New Year's. They are extremely busy this time of year. Parts replacement is slower but the guy is new.

I doubt they'll ever find someone who aced the job like Thaadd did. If in six month's time they're still struggling, well, we can sound the alarms then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support everyone! Nice to know I'm not alone in having to wait. I really just needed to vent after a rough day at work and then that email... I still hate that going through proper channels is taking so long, would have been easier and faster just to purchase another copy for the cards and return it. All in all I just really want to play it, on the plus side half the Minis are painted. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got some fairly poor customer service from Thaadd in the past, but just before the holidays I got not only superb customer service from their new person (people?), but along with the replacements was a Christmas card with a hand written apology for the problem. I never got that from Thaad. Give them a chance, restructuring is a pain, and I'm sure they'll make things right.

Cheers,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
Three weeks ago I purchased a copy of Mansions of Madness from Amazon.com. When the factory sealed game arrived, I discovered that there were two sets of large cards and no set of small cards.

I'll admit I'm a little curious why you didn't just get a replacement from Amazon and return the 'defective' one. It definitely would have been faster. I could see emailing and waiting on FF if the issue was a small one, but as you said, you couldn't play at all. That's easily a "Hey Amazon, this is defective and I need a replacement" issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
I got some fairly poor customer service from Thaadd in the past, but just before the holidays I got not only superb customer service from their new person (people?), but along with the replacements was a Christmas card with a hand written apology for the problem. I never got that from Thaad. Give them a chance, restructuring is a pain, and I'm sure they'll make things right.

Cheers,

Jacovis

Thaadd included a handwritten note with the replacements for my broken Starcraft figures and was very helpful with some BSG cards as well. She was great, but I'm sure Kalar will be fantastic too - he just needs to get settled in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly how is this horrible customer service?

Horrible customer service would be if they never responded or said "Screw you, we ain't replacing shit."

The apologized for how long it took to get back to you, and explained why.

They then give you a target date, telling you you should have it by that date. Kinda like when you ordered from Amazon, and they give you a window of when to expect it by. Sometimes things get early, sometimes things take longer.

Now perhaps they should have a better method of tracking replacements, but this is certainly not what I'd call horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While I 'read' everything as the O.P. being the "horrible customer service" THAT FFG recently 'experienced' from this A-L-L, and it was nice on confirming with an "Admission Accomplished!" on that 'aspect' here then! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way all of FFG's customer service employees have names that sound like they've been culled from Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

Horrible customer service would be if they never responded or said "Screw you, we ain't replacing shit."

They then give you a target date, telling you you should have it by that date. Kinda like when you ordered from Amazon, and they give you a window of when to expect it by. Sometimes things get early, sometimes things take longer.

Now perhaps they should have a better method of tracking replacements, but this is certainly not what I'd call horrible.

You beat me to it, I was about to say the same thing. The fact is, this is still a customer service dept sending you, on your word alone, free parts to this game and their answer wasn't "you might have it in 4-6 weeks, but could really be closer to 10 weeks," they actually admitted fault for speed, and explained why.

Is it optimal? No, there's of course room to get even better. But there's a huuuuuuge gap between this story and horrible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anecdotal, but my experience was much better.

I ordered Ventura - it came with one set of markers missing pieces and having duplicate pieces that I didn't need. This error didn't stop me from being able to play the game...like your situation did...but it is frustrating when you pay for something and it isn't....perfect.

Fantasy Flight provided good communication and I had the replacement within a few weeks.

I know you're frustrated...cause you ordered a game so you could play it. Sometimes in life things don't go...perfectly...but I'm confident you will get your cards...probably prior to 2/20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pugeek wrote:

I'll admit I'm a little curious why you didn't just get a replacement from Amazon and return the 'defective' one. It definitely would have been faster. I could see emailing and waiting on FF if the issue was a small one, but as you said, you couldn't play at all. That's easily a "Hey Amazon, this is defective and I need a replacement" issue.

A little off topic from the FFG aspect, but I received a copy of RoboRally through Amazon that had a hole in the front of the box (poor packing, looked like the corner of a box above had poked through). I contacted Amazon and they shipped a replacement that I received the next day.

I think there are times you have to pick who your customer service battles are going to be against
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had excellent CS from FFG , had missing components from Twilight Imperium, sent request in on Dec 17, Received replacement card on Jan 5th.

Making such a broad blanket statement is simply irresponsible. Each situation is unique and they do the best to accommodate. Frankly even with the reduced level of CS , they are still better than most companies especially about replacement components with no questions asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, gotta say, you're better off going with Amazon. Their cust service is tops, mostly because they'd rather replace something immediately than hassle you about it. Something about minimizing customer contacts being a Bezos mantra. Best to deal direct with Amazon in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

The way I read it that isn't so much a target date as a kill date. Their email says they don't keep track of whether service requests are being fulfilled, have been shipped, or even overlooked so they have no idea if something is on its way to him or not. If in another month he doesn't get anything he should assume it was overlooked and try again.

I don't know if I'd call it horrible exactly but it's not quite as peachy as you describe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this all depends on your point of view and your definition of good customer service. To me, good customer service would involve sending the replacements, with a tracking number once shipped. Exceptional customer service would go one step further and involve a follow up email or phone call to make sure everything was received and ok. Just sending the parts without keeping track and not really knowing if the customer is going to receive it or not and saying "well contact us if you don't get it by the 20th" is as good as saying "well we don't really care if you get it or not, its up to you to call us if you don't get it." This is mediocre at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
Just sending the parts without keeping track and not really knowing if the customer is going to receive it or not

...is standard for any company. Even with tracked mail, you don't know if the customer is going to receive it. Lots of stuff gets lost in the mail. A tracking number is a bit better, but doesn't guarantee delivery. Also a lot of these things are for a few bits, and simply go in envelopes. Envelopes don't have tracking numbers.

Even then, it's possible for something to be delivered and for YOU to not receive it. Mail theft, the mailman misreading the address, Kalar makes a typo on the envelope, the mail is collected by your mother/wife/landlord/dog and they simply forget there was something for you...

Quote:
saying "well contact us if you don't get it by the 20th" is as good as saying "well we don't really care if you get it or not, its up to you to call us if you don't get it." This is mediocre at best.

It's as good as saying "Once it leaves my desk, it's at the mercy of the USPS, and there's nothing I can do to change that. Sometimes they take a while to deliver stuff - we can't guarantee something is lost by the mail until that point, and if you keep emailing me every 2 days, it's going to slow things down for EVERYONE ELSE. Also, because it's not tracked, it's not like I can personally phone you up, paying long distance charges on top of postage, to personally confirm it's arrival when I don't know the expected arrival date, especially if I get someone else on the phone who has no idea what I'm talking about. Either way, if I phoned everyone, then I wouldn't have any time left in the day to send anything to ANYONE ELSE."

There's nothing mediocre about that. Frankly, you're being selfish, demanding and unreasonable.

The missing cards aren't even FFG's fault, it's the factory's fault.

As people said, you has a choice of who to contact for the defect. You can't complain about how your choice handles it, because YOU chose them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after everyone's replies and yet another week, I sat and thought about it for a while. I reread this post and really seem like I was coming off as a real jerk in this situation and want to say that I am sorry for my attitude and comments. I have never had to return anything from Amazon and wasn't quite sure that they should be the one to go to. So I finally looked into it and Amazon shipped a replacement right away and I am happy to say I got the replacement and have been able to play. I've lost twice now to my wife, once as the Keeper and once as the Investigator, but I was able to play and enjoy this game. Thanks everyone for the advice and putting up with this jerk while I was on a rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
Well, after everyone's replies and yet another week, I sat and thought about it for a while. I reread this post and really seem like I was coming off as a real jerk in this situation and want to say that I am sorry for my attitude and comments. I have never had to return anything from Amazon and wasn't quite sure that they should be the one to go to. So I finally looked into it and Amazon shipped a replacement right away and I am happy to say I got the replacement and have been able to play. I've lost twice now to my wife, once as the Keeper and once as the Investigator, but I was able to play and enjoy this game. Thanks everyone for the advice and putting up with this jerk while I was on a rant.

If you don't feel as though you received horrible service anymore, perhaps you might want to change the title of the thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same email about structural changes but I received a replacement part for TI3 today. It took about a month overall. BTW this was a piece I broke, not one that was originally missing. They didn't even charge me shipping. I'm pretty happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
If you don't feel as though you received horrible service anymore, perhaps you might want to change the title of the thread?

Done and Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.