Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Hive: The Ladybug» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ladybug Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the two moves on top of the hive overlap?

Ex: I move on top. I move to the left and then back to the right (onto the same previous piece), then I drop into a forward space (different from the 1st).

If that doesn't work..can the ladybug move in 2 different directions on top the hive?

That was my understanding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
achasteen wrote:
Can the two moves on top of the hive overlap?

Ex: I move on top. I move to the left and then back to the right (onto the same previous piece), then I drop into a forward space (different from the 1st).

If that doesn't work..can the ladybug move in 2 different directions on top the hive?

That was my understanding.

It can move in two different directions but cannot double back on a previously visited tile within the same movement. It must go exactly 2 on top, and end on the table.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
Ex: I move on top. I move to the left and then back to the right (onto the same previous piece), then I drop into a forward space (different from the 1st).


If I have not misread what you wrote above, my answer to your question is no, that's not possible. The reason is because you have just moved 4 spaces, whereas the ladybug's movement characteristics is, quoting from the rules, "Once in play, the Ladybug moves three spaces, two on top of the Hive then one down". The following picture posted by the designer also illustrates this:


Based on what you described, the two spaces at the top of the black queen bee would be reachable by the ladybug, but it is not, as shown by the picture.

The move onto the Hive is counted as 1 move on top of the hive. The move to the left is counted as your second move on the hive. Your next move therefore has to be dropping the ladybug back down. In that sense, it is not possible to move back to the same space when the ladybug is on top of the hive.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the ladybug move over a stacked beetle (on a higher level) or is that illegal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
Can the ladybug move over a stacked beetle (on a higher level) or is that illegal?


Yes it can, height is not a restriction. Although squeezing through a narrow gap is illegal (freedom to move).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
squeezing through a narrow gap is illegal (freedom to move).


How can freedom to move be an issue when all of its actual movement involves wandering around on top of the hive, or climbing up or down? Are you talking about a narrow gap between two beetles which are on top of the hive?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
magicalsushi wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
squeezing through a narrow gap is illegal (freedom to move).


How can freedom to move be an issue when all of its actual movement involves wandering around on top of the hive, or climbing up or down? Are you talking about a narrow gap between two beetles which are on top of the hive?


Simply put, yes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
magicalsushi wrote:
zombiegod wrote:
squeezing through a narrow gap is illegal (freedom to move).


How can freedom to move be an issue when all of its actual movement involves wandering around on top of the hive, or climbing up or down? Are you talking about a narrow gap between two beetles which are on top of the hive?


Simply put, yes.


Walk me through this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Imagine the Beetles are stacked on other tiles.

The Ladybug would be able to move straight onto either the black or white Beetle, or the Grasshopper.

However the Ladybug would not be able to move directly onto the Queen, slide in between the two Beetles, which are on a higher level, as the gap is too narrow (freedom of movement).
4 
 Thumb up
0.75
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

Imagine the Beetles are stacked on other tiles.

The Ladybug would be able to move straight onto either the black or white Beetle, or the Grasshopper.

However the Ladybug would not be able to move directly onto the Queen, slide in between the two Beetles, which are on a higher level, as the gap is too narrow (freedom of movement).


Thanks, I wasn't understanding what you were driving at, now it's clear to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Taylor
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do we have official clarification on this movement restriction?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brine
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
thefurrybadger wrote:
Do we have official clarification on this movement restriction?
We do for the Beetle, and there's no reason to believe it's any different for the Ladybug.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as they are intended by the publisher are implemented at www.BoardSpace.net

If you go there to play, you can see exactly how these rules apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.