Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! A pretty trivial question, but one I AM wondering about. I picked up a copy of MK today at my local comic/game shop. I'd had the impression that the MSRP was just under $80. The copy in the store was stickered $59.95. I asked the shop owner about it, he scanned it, and got the $59.95 result. Since I also get a discount at the store, I sprung for it!

After looking at some on-line sites, I'm still seeing a $79.95 MSRP. Can anyone clear this up for me? I'm on very good terms with the guy at the store (who operates on a shoestring profit as it is) and I feel like I might be ripping him off here...

Thanks for any clarity you can provide! The more reviews I read, the more excited I am to give this one a spin! (even if I DO need to pony up more $ for it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
$90 Aus here in Australia at the cheapest store around. Our dollars are at parity at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's $80 MSRP. That doesn't mean you're ripping him off if you get it for less. I paid $53 for my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered one just six days ago from CSI, and it was priced at $55.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
many stores sell cheaper than MSRP. its not a mistake.

I paid 59.95 CAD for mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone! I don't generally buy anything other than comics at this shop. My impression is that they go MSRP on their items, then apply any discount that applies in your particular case. That may be incorrect, so that's something I'll check out.

I did see the prices at CSI and other on-line retailers. Those are pretty much in line with what I've come to expect when dealing with those folks.

Sounds like, while I did score something of a bargain, I'm not taking advantage of the local shopkeep! That was my primary concern in posting this. I know they wouldn't close the place over a $20 error but, if it WAS an error, I just wanted to correct it.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Thanks, everyone! I don't generally buy anything other than comics at this shop. My impression is that they go MSRP on their items, then apply any discount that applies in your particular case. That may be incorrect, so that's something I'll check out.

I did see the prices at CSI and other on-line retailers. Those are pretty much in line with what I've come to expect when dealing with those folks.

Sounds like, while I did score something of a bargain, I'm not taking advantage of the local shopkeep! ;) That was my primary concern in posting this. I know they wouldn't close the place over a $20 error but, if it WAS an error, I just wanted to correct it.

Thanks again!

MRSP is usually the top end of the price range which I would never pay. It is 'recommended' so it is an artificial price anyway and really a long standing marketing scam to give the impression of value that is not there (by people discounting it and claiming you receive a benefit from that) or by justifying a higher price by saying it is 'recommended' which is a meaningless term.

As this game is new and between print runs many stores and sites are selling at that price as people are willing to pay it. It is highly unlikely your store made a mistake. He is just not taking advantage of the current demand but setting the price he feels his customers will pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foomer McCloud
United States
Albany
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
yosemite wrote:

Sounds like, while I did score something of a bargain, I'm not taking advantage of the local shopkeep! That was my primary concern in posting this. I know they wouldn't close the place over a $20 error but, if it WAS an error, I just wanted to correct it.

Thanks again!

All of the game stores around my area (capital region, NY) price at MSRP. One of the stores has a standing 5$ off 50 and 20$ off 100 coupons, but you have to know about them. Occasionally they email a 25% coupon, but again, you have to be on their mailing list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $58 CAD for mine. Any more than the $60 you paid and I would suggest you're getting ripped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baconcow wrote:
I paid $58 CAD for mine. Any more than the $60 you paid and I would suggest you're getting ripped off.

So you're telling us that we got ripped off at Spiel '11 in Essen?

I knew it!!! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NaN Do
Netherlands
flag msg tools
70 euro here(about 90 USD).....but well we are rich...arent we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try living in the UK where the typical selling price (£55) equates to around US$87. yuk

Not that anywhere actually has stock. Roll on the reprint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
Try living in the UK where the typical selling price (£55) equates to around US$87. yuk

I still have a copy going spare if anyone wants to contact me

Unopened, still in box. Fresh from Essen, but with the 'fix pack' of extra crystals and the 3 enemy stick-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:

Sounds like it was underpriced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NaNDoK wrote:
70 euro here(about 90 USD).....but well we are rich...arent we?

I got it for under 65 Euro (Pick-up at an online store)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.