California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The action cards fit standard 2.5" x 3.5" card sleeves but really wanted to sleeve the character cards too. They appear to be "print on demand" so thought the extra protection would be a good idea.

I tried Mayday Magnum sleeves (70mm x 110mm) and they fit perfectly. They aren't premium thickness but they fit super snug. I ordered one pack of 100 so have enough for 45 expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
The action cards fit standard 2.5" x 3.5" card sleeves but really wanted to sleeve the character cards too. They appear to be "print on demand" so thought the extra protection would be a good idea.

I tried Mayday Magnum sleeves (70mm x 110mm) and they fit perfectly. They aren't premium thickness but they fit super snug. I ordered one pack of 100 so have enough for 45 expansions!

Thanks Scott,

I thought about sleeving as well since I sleeve everything and I was thinking I should probably protect the card modeled after me. The cards have a nice coating so I decided not to look into sleeving....but now that you have identified the perfect size sleeve I may have to get me some for my 2 copies of the game.

-Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pincao wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Thanks Scott,

I thought about sleeving as well since I sleeve everything and I was thinking I should probably protect the card modeled after me. The cards have a nice coating so I decided not to look into sleeving....but now that you have identified the perfect size sleeve I may have to get me some for my 2 copies of the game.

-Paul

It wasn't too expensive, even with shipping. It was $5.88 total. I expect I'll find other games that will fit this size too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
pincao wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Thanks Scott,

-Paul

It wasn't too expensive, even with shipping. It was $5.88 total. I expect I'll find other games that will fit this size too.

I think they have them at my FLGS and friday is game night there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

The Character cards are full color offset printing and have a UV coating which provides more protection than an aqueous coating or varnish. Although sleeves do help protect against corner damage and finger prints.

Most print on demand (POD) printing is very noticeable when tilted in the light as you can make out the distinct lines where the ink has been applied. POD printing also has a limited life span when used for cards that are shuffled. What is awesome about POD printers is the fact that you can print one deck of cards. However, this was not necessary for the Dark Horse Character cards.

Thank you for identifying the sleeve size. I had not looked onto that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:
ScottE wrote:

The Character cards are full color offset printing and have a UV coating which provides more protection than an aqueous coating or varnish. Although sleeves do help protect against corner damage and finger prints.

Most print on demand (POD) printing is very noticeable when tilted in the light as you can make out the distinct lines where the ink has been applied. POD printing also has a limited life span when used for cards that are shuffled. What is awesome about POD printers is the fact that you can print one deck of cards. However, this was not necessary for the Dark Horse Character cards.

Thanks for the info on the cards. I feel bad I implied they were POD cards when I didn't have all the facts. I've done a lot of POD cards and didn't look closely enough I guess!

I'm still happy I got the sleeves to protect the edges and from fingerprints as you said. And since the Kickstarter card has a unique number, that will protect it from wear too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Thanks for the info on the cards. I feel bad I implied they were POD cards when I didn't have all the facts. I've done a lot of POD cards and didn't look closely enough I guess!

I'm still happy I got the sleeves to protect the edges and from fingerprints as you said. And since the Kickstarter card has a unique number, that will protect it from wear too.

Oh, no worries.

I have looked into POD printing quite a bit and SuperiorPOD printing does a great job, amongst others. Personnaly, I think the cards could have been a little sharper, resolution wise, but I am at a loss as to why. I submitted 400 DPI TIFFs which should have been crisp. surprise The collectors card and Outlaw card were sharp so it is perplexing.

I think that may have been what you noticed on the Character cards? If we get a chance to reprint I will run everything at the same time as the main box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some printers can print illustrator (vector art) and text at much higher resolution like 600 or 1200 dpi. But they may print art at 300 dpi so if the cards were flattened then they might of printed it all at 300.

But all your stuff is very readable so don't think its a problem. If you can supply the files with the text fields intact then the printer should be able to get all that text super crisp. But there's so many different print companies and they all seem to have different formats & templates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Some printers can print illustrator (vector art) and text at much higher resolution like 600 or 1200 dpi. But they may print art at 300 dpi so if the cards were flattened then they might of printed it all at 300.

But all your stuff is very readable so don't think its a problem. If you can supply the files with the text fields intact then the printer should be able to get all that text super crisp. But there's so many different print companies and they all seem to have different formats & templates!

You are right, I didnt even think about that. I believe I submitted the larger cards as PDF's and the Character cards as TIFFs. (I will check.) It didnt occur to me that they would flatten the art to 300 which seems to be what happened. I will have to talk with someone in their processing department to get the full scope. But, that is some good information to run with. Thank you for mentioning it.

I agree, the Character cards came out decent. I was just surprised in the differences between the larger collector cards. There are so many online printing companies it is overwhelming. I can literally rattle off five or six just off the top of my head. The only limitations to making a board game now a days is finding someone to do the tokens and boxes. Box companies are fairly prolific though. It is really just tokens which do not have a practical use in the consumer market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it when a printer accepts PDF since I can be assured they will have the correct size and I can mix/match bitmap art with vector art with text.

When I did the ref cards for Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 I just supplied Z-Man with flattened RGB images. At the time I didn't know what they wanted but they turned out just fine. They were done at 300dpi. One thing they did do was scale them smaller so they might of printed them at a higher dpi setting so the original resolution was intact. The nice thing about doing stuff for a publisher is they have someone on their team to get the files in the format the printer needs. I'm sure someone fooled around with the files on their end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
ScottE wrote:
pincao wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Thanks Scott,

-Paul

well scott, you don't need to pay much to get prints because there is multiple companies working over the internet those offering quality cards with free custom design and free shipping so it will be better to save your money and get printing cards including other stuff like folder printing, business cards etc from best online printing companies those offering free designs & free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
A warning for anyone who reads this late:

I was just sleeving this game (with expansions) and found I had some Swan Panasia Premium 70x110 Sleeves. They were just slightly too narrow to hold these cards.

I could trim the cards by a tiny bit and they would likely work, but I do not want to monkey with that and risk ending up messing up the cards.

It is good that they are already a bit laminated, mitigating some of the need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.