Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself, slots one and two are locked and sacrosanct. I will always be a Star Trek fan, particularly of The Original Series and a Wargamer of 30+ years.

Slot three might also be locked. I haven't decided yet. But I am definitely a WWII gamer.

Slot four displays my current favorite game.

Slot five is a floater which at this time shows my favorite team in the playoffs but the fun thing is that slot five changes at a whim.

I could buy more but don't see the need to at the moment, but I am sure that many here have copious amounts of badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose I'm of the same general mindset, regarding how I want to present myself on this site. I mostly want to communicate that I am a military history buff and a wargamer, hence my first two MBs are pretty much set. The fifth MB is also fairly static, the patch for the 99th division/army reserve command, as it represents both my own military service and a nod to my uncle, who served in the same organization during World War Two.

The 3rd and 4th slots are the ones that tend to fluctuate a bit. Currently displaying the logos of my two favorite wargame companies, Avalon Hill and GMT, these slots are also sometimes where I display my favorite teams during their respective seasons (usually Steelers or Penguins, less often Pirates, and less often still, Penn State, or Robert Morris, my two college alma maters).

I do own a decent number of MBs, though nothing like some people around here. On occasion, I will display the odd MB, but I can tell you that there are quite a few that I have that I don't imagine I will ever bother to display. This is especially true of the contest MBs. Nothing against them, and I do like adding them to the collection, but they won't make the cut in terms of holding down one of the five display slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
robot 'moi'... don't! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
robot 'moi'... don't! whistle

I dunno, Robert, you have a pretty nice "one" right there in the middle. Maybe someday I'll be worthy to get one of 'those'!

Also, I still think it would be cool if the site designers could figure out a way to allow us to display at least one more row of MBs. I still yearn to have an avatar with rows of MBs that would rival the medals on Brezhnev's chest!

(Ha, ha! Since this is NOT the Wargames Subdomain, I can post this without fear that the thread will be shunted off into subforum oblivion!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My valet sets out my microbadges for me in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to think the exact same way.

But there are too many games to like. Sometimes I feel the cult of the new, then cult of the classics, then cult of the funky.

Then I started noticing all the way cool messaging you can create using the micro badges.

Micro badging is a game in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to change all my mb's weekly, got 300+ to choose from so I like to keep them in rotation. Never display a BGG competition badge though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
All five of my displayed microbadges have been there since I bought them, and I am not planning to change them anytime soon.

They more or less describe who I am, in some sort of decreasing order of importance, moving from left to right.

I am a greenie at heart, and believe the love and protection of our environment should be top priority.

Despite the shortcomings of my country, I still love it and openly declare it.

I am born in the Year of the Rabbit (chinese zodiac).

I have been an atheist since my teens.

And finally, I am an actuary by training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
I change mine based on my fancy. However, I tend to choose them to follow a certain theme. Currently, my theme is Romance of the Three Kingdoms as I have developed an interest in the story and its characters.

On other occasions, I may choose them based on food, cartoon characters, board games etc. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spotted a repetitious theme in mine almost by accident. A couple of purchases and tweaks and I was there.

Don't really know what it says about me, but at least they're recognisable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I always choose those microbadges I find important and meaningful enough that I want to clutter the screen with them for everybody else.

;P

(I do in general find the massive amount of visual noise one of the least attractive aspects of this site, but don't take me too seriously: I know it's part of the established and valued culture here, and am neither expecting to change anyone's opinion on this, nor trying to take the feature away from anyone. I love the concept of microbadges themselves. But this site certainly does remind me why I'm enforcing a text-only style on those message boards which I administrate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
I'm enforcing a text-only style on those message boards which I administrate.

B-b-but...then people would have to contribute actual content.

I tend not to display game MBs because there are too many and I wouldn't be able to pick only a couple. I also delete most contest MBs because I know I'll never display them.

My current MBs are ones that I most identify with. The cross is in the central slot because my faith is the center of my identity.

My "best microbadge of the month" badge is displayed because it's a bit harder to come by than others, and it's followed by Slurpees because that's my favorite treat and that's the MB that won me the award. I'm sure I will eventually get tired of displaying those and will rotate to something else.

I am passionate about getting animals adopted out of shelters and stopping the sale of animals as pets when so many go unwanted, so that explains my 4th badge. I wish I could display both my "I love cats" and "I love dogs" badges because they are so cute, but then I'd have to use 2 slots, whereas the "rescued from shelters" badge takes up only one.

My "I love snow" microbadge is displayed as a reaction to all the people I know who gripe about snow constantly, including the weather people on TV. It's Michigan. It snows. Get over it or move ... it's not that bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My left-most microbadge is cemented in place.

The other four I change periodically. If something is happening that makes a badge relevant (say, when the Cincinnati Bengals actually made the playoffs, or during the Avalon Hill Cup) I'll dust that badge off.

Often, I go to random.org and randomly choose 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I usually change mine seasonally. I almost always include one which is relevant to math or teaching or both (since that's what I do), one which is seasonal (Secret Santa, snowshoeing, hiking, etc.), and something metagame- or BGG-related (BGG is a community, I love all games, etc.) It generally describes me, but gets a bit of variety still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
The middle one of mine is pretty much locked in. The one to the right of that is my current favorite game. The one to the far left is also locked in(at least until I stop minis). The one to the far right I cycle through as my favorite band. The one to the middle right I also cycle through as my favorite game designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
Like the last two times it occured, my fifth spot is reserved right now for my upcoming child.*

The others change as I see fit with the middle slot being my "important" slot.

-DK

*edit - of course I totally forgot to change it until I read my post... :headshake: (stupid mobile phone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
working from left to right, numbered 1-5...

1 - cemented in place. ive spent more money seeing that band then anything ive ever bought in my life. maybe my house, but its negotiable.

2 and 3 - games im currently playing at least once a week.

4 - im a sucker for lovecraft.

5 - we dont all have accents, but we all drop f-bombs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most important: mb (though most of the time I don't have an available slot to show it. If I show it, it sits in the middle spot.
The only microbadge I designed until now is often the leftmost: mb

To fill the other slots I often try to find a visual pattern, e.g. symmetry in colors, but I start with one badge I want to show, so if I show mb in the second slot, I'll use another greenish one on the fourth slot, e.g. mb or one of the VGG microbadges.

Currently I show badges with numbers from all *geek domains: mbmbmbmb
I often try to show badges from all domains, even if I spend most of the time on the boardgames part.

Edit 1: corrected error in one microbadge tag.
Edit 2: This post was my 250th, so now it is mb meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
peloquin17 wrote:
5 - we dont all have accents, but we all drop f-bombs.

Damn f-ing straight.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Any casual glance at photographs that came out of the old Soviet Union will tell you the single most secure job under that communist regime: airbrusher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a whim. Right now I'm enjoying my iPad, have tons of P500 orders with GMT, follow Roger's P500 geeklist to keep up on them, root for the Blackhawks, and have a wonderful orange cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
In time, we'll be able to go back to this thread and see how many people changed their minds about which microbadges were fixed and permanent.

Mine aren't. The first I ever bought was "Liberty," and it usually finds a place among the five. I lean toward libertarianism and also believe spiritual freedom is the birthright of each individual, so that one means the most to me, whether I happen to be displaying it or not.

All the others say something about me too. But they change whenever I feel like changing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on how I'm feeling. Right now I'm displaying badges from the Mountains of Madness geeklist RPG that's just finished because, well, it's just finished. I awhile I'll get bored of them and change to something else although I really can't predict what that might be at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I'm displaying the giants on whose shoulders I have stood that enabled me to see far.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using the BGGRandomizer? If not, you should. Works as advertised for randomizing microbadges and other ID-area BGG stuff.

I have three fixed slots right now, but will go back to two (Golden Meeple and Green Christian) once the newness of the Aston Martin Fan badge wears off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.